Summicron hood un-clips easy

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Might be a good idea to stop by a dealer to try another lens and/or to ensure that you're attaching the hood correctly.

Jeff

As i mentioned above, the nearest Leica dealer is 1400 kilometers away from me and i do not know of anyone around where i live that has a Summicron-M 35 mm ASPH, so i can't compare to other lenses like mine.

or to ensure that you're attaching the hood correctly.

Jeff

I'm an engineer myself. As i see it, it really isn't rocket science to attach the hood to the lens correctly :)

Sounds to me like your lens has a problem.

The problem is so strange that me too tend to think that this can be a possible explanation... though VERY unprobable... the groove on the lens in which the four pins catch into is badly machined (:confused:) ... its upper surface is not horizontal but inclined so that it "invites" the pins to retract when the hood is (even loosely) forced out from the lens... :confused: ...but such a machining (turning) error seems to me a damn oddity...

My conclusion: the spring strength can not retain the hood.

One last thing: can you see/operate the 4 pins if there is some lateral play, if radial move is 3-4mm.

The spring mechanism could be the reason, but Leica did send me a new hood, which did not solve the problem. It is sitting tighter though, but not as good as i suspect it should do.

Yes, i can move the four pins about the 3-4 millimeters as you are saying.

Some time ago, I do have same trouble with one 12526, the one with black double-button.

The spring was not strong compared to 12524 (chrom double-button) that I use so far.

Interesting. Maybe it could be the solution, though i don't want to spend money on another hood if the real problem is that Leica didn't "invent" a good enough hood when releasing the Summicron-M ASPH.

The problem is so strange that me too tend to think that this can be a possible explanation... though VERY unprobable... the groove on the lens in which the four pins catch into is badly machined (:confused:) ... its upper surface is not horizontal but inclined so that it "invites" the pins to retract when the hood is (even loosely) forced out from the lens... :confused: ...but such a machining (turning) error seems to me a damn oddity...

Agreed. Once I had a lens hood for the 2n gen Summilux 35 in which the tabs did not fully extend. They clicked into place, but not strongly. (I fixed it with a dremel tool.) But mine would rotate while the OP says his does not.

Something is wrong, call Leica Customer Service and let them deal with it.

My guess wrongly machined front lens tubus, probably too long or too little diameter.

Try measuring the front end with calipers precisely an shoot a couple of images close up at 1:1

Normally the four pins hold onto the lens so good on that you can hold the lens and camera by the lens hood upside down and shake it without the Lens hood coming off.

The spring force has little to do with how well the four pins hold on to the lens! since the work at 90 deg , actually the more you pull on it the more friction prevents them from disengaging, this is very basic mechanical engineering...

• 3 years later...

Just solved this issue with my chrome summicron 35mm asph f2. It's a scary task but if you trim the inner stopper ring on the inside of the hood away with a Stanley knife then it allows the hood all the way on and I felt it finally clip into place and now it is very firmly attached with no issues. I did slightly scratch the inside of the hood in the process but at least I saved myself about £200 buying a new hood which may have had the same issue anyway! 

It seems that basically it was never fully engaging (I only fully understood this when I finally felt it engage) with the lense until I made this amendment. With care and patience this could probably be done with smoother results/no scratches to the inside of the hood.