Summicron hood un-clips easy

BjarniM

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Bought a factory new Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH in september '14. One thing i'm wondering about, which i think is also pretty annoying, is how easy it is to knock the hood off the lens.

In november i did recieve a new replacement hood from Leica since the lens is new and the hood supplied with the lens from factory wasn't sitting tight enough.

The new hood is slightly better, meaning it sits more tight/firm on the lens, but i'm wondering if it still isn't living up to Leica's standards, or if it is supposed to sit not so tight to the lens.

Problem: The 12526 hood still un-clips very easy from the lens if it's being pushed from behind. That is if the hood is pushed in the direction from the camera body and out towards the lens hood.

Is this normal, or might i still be experiencing a problem, that shouldn't be there according to Leica's standards?

The 12524 (pic) is the square plastic hood for Summicron 35/2 v4. It is almost the same as the 12526 square plastic hood for Summicron 35/2 asph and Elmarit 28/2.8 asph but has less pronounced nubs so as to grip the hood cap # 14043, which explains that the latter falls so easily.

Instead of these plastic hoods, the OP may prefer clip-on metal vented hoods like 12504 or 12585 (pics).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There is something wrong somewhere because there is no way the hood would pull off the front of the lens as described. If the catch hasn't been engaged maybe, or if the hood hasn't been mounted square in the lens maybe, otherwise you'd need to rip the front of the lens off as well to shift it.

Steve

There is something wrong somewhere because there is no way the hood would pull off the front of the lens as described. If the catch hasn't been engaged maybe, or if the hood hasn't been mounted square in the lens maybe, otherwise you'd need to rip the front of the lens off as well to shift it.

Steve

Maybe you are misunderstanding me. It's not the front off the lens itself that's falling off. As i said:

If i try to get the lens cap off the hood, the hood falls off instead and not the lens cap.

The lens has not been dropped on the floor and neither the lens or the hood has been treated or exposed to anything unusual.

Very strange.

When you unmount the hood from the lens, and when you push the two buttons to release it, do you feel that the spring force is loose ?

If it's the case (spring loose), when the hood is out, just push the two buttons and look if the 4 "thin metallic catches" retract inside.

Arnaud

Very strange.

When you unmount the hood from the lens, and when you push the two buttons to release it, do you feel that the spring force is loose ?

Arnaud

No, the "spring mechanism" in the hood doesn't seem to be loose - at least not as far as i know.

Unfortunately there is no other lens like mine here where i live, and the nearest Leica dealer is 1400 kilometers away, so i can't compare to other lenses, but it seems strange to me, that it's the hood that's coming off the lens if i pull the lens cap off.

Maybe you are misunderstanding me. It's not the front off the lens itself that's falling off. As i said:

If i try to get the lens cap off the hood, the hood falls off instead and not the lens cap.

The lens has not been dropped on the floor and neither the lens or the hood has been treated or exposed to anything unusual.

I should of course have said 'there is no way the lens hood should pull off from the front of the lens'. I did not mean to imply you could actually pull the front of the lens off or indeed that you did pull the front of the lens off yourself.

The point being made was that it is not common and you have a problem, either the hood, the lens, or fitting it.

Steve

• Like 1

How about the four catches that retain the hood in the Cron's front groove?

My hood need some force to retract them about 3 to 4 mm inside.

The four pins/catches retract fine when i put the hood on the lens, but they don't lock in a proper way, as far as i know. As i said, i can't compare to other lenses of this type.

I would just imagine that the hood should lock better to the lens so it wouldn't be possible to pull the hood off the lens when i'm just trying to pull the cap off. Right?

Edited by BjarniM

Do the white line on the hood adjust in the lens's "V" groove in front of aperture index, and replace it ?

Yes, they align perfect

When mounted, can you rotate the hood ?

No, its not possible to rotate the hood.

Additional info: The four pins/catches on the hood make a small click sound when the hood is mounted on the lens, so the hood's in place although it isn't locked tight enough.

My 12526 hood is rock solid on my 35 Summicron ASPH. It does seem, given that you've tried two hoods (and presumably secured them correctly), that there may be an issue with your lens. Might be a good idea to stop by a dealer to try another lens and/or to ensure that you're attaching the hood correctly.

Jeff