109 - Manual and Menu!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The "A" button cannot be disabled AFAIK but it is possible to press and hold it instead of pressing it only. Works fine on my LX100. See attached page 75 of the Panasonic manual. Page 75 of yours should be exactly the same with different names ("A" instead of "iA" button, "snapshot" instead of "intelligent auto" mode). Hope this helps. Another difference is pages of the Pana manual are easy to copy, contrary to Leica's which are protected. Different mentality at work :rolleyes:.

Edit: Thanks to Mike for his confirmation above.

Thank you and Mike. But that does not help me at all. Snapshot mode has never been a mode of use or interest to me. Therefore I do not find it necessary to read about a function I will not use. In any event there is no cautionary note. More importantly, there could usefully be a warning on the Using the Autofocus pages about inadvertent selection of A mode and the mystifying effect it can have on trying to follow the manual. Or it could be in the FAQs. But it isn't. What a blessing we have a well-informed forum.

Looking at the close proximity of the power switch and the A button, you can see how easy it is for all but the tiniest of fingers to inadvertently select the A button. It is badly placed for an important mode for some operators. I shall be modifying my Start-up routine by using my left thumb to power up the camera so as to avoid finger-tip spread over the A button. Very poor design in my view.

Looking at the close proximity of the power switch and the A button, you can see how easy it is for all but the tiniest of fingers to inadvertently select the A button.

It is not easy at all when you set it as suggested above. Works fine for me in that my snapshot mode is never enabled thanks to this setting. YMMV.

• 2 weeks later...

Further to my post 9 above, Alex White's "Photographer's Guide to the D-Lux (Typ 109)" e-book (PDF, EPUB, or MOBI) is available for download at this link for around US$10.

For full disclosure: I have nothing whatsoever to do with the author, his product, or the publisher and I do not stand to profit from the book's sale.

Pete.

• Like 1

Here's a snippet from the Photog's Guide that, for me, justified the purchase price virtually on its own.

I have been constantly irritated by the little 'A' button that sits on the top deck between the Shutter Speed Dial, the shutter release button, and the exposure compensation dial because I've accidentally pressed it (I assume) while turning the D-Lux on or off and the camera starts behaving weirdly until I work out that I must have pressed the A button and press it again when the camera returns to normal.

You can change the behaviour of the A button so that it only operates when you press and hold it for a second. The behaviour is changed through the A Button Switch option on screen 8 of the Custom menu.

Mine's changed now and it won't be going back.:)

Pete.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice pics! Shows what this little camera is capable to deliver!

Fortunately I never had a problem with instruction manuals as I use my D lux as

I use my M9. I.e. never bother about the screen...

• 2 weeks later...

Please have a look at this thread.

How can I delete my post?

The software which runs this forum does not allow members to delete their posts. To remove an unwanted post:

• either edit the post and replace its entire content with a full stop or a brief comment
  • or click on the Report button just below the unwanted post and ask the moderators to remove it for you.

A moderator will remove the post as soon as time allows. Please be aware that the forum is not staffed around the clock. 

So, from what I am getting from your post (above), we cannot delete a thread or post in which we did a mess!... This is really not very practical and gives more work to the MODs, too! :(

I am trying to get used to the new version of LUF, and already found few solutions for some issues (for example: several files in the same post!), but unfortunately, this new version is far from being a perfect "upgrade" and lacks lots of obvious, practical and important features!... I really hope that improvement would follow! ;)

Edited by Louis2

• 4 months later...

Having just bought a D-Lux 109, I must admit that I can't see what all the fuss is about. It took me around 5 minutes to set up the camera how I (think) I want it, namely shooting raw, minimal beeping and setting the A button to the long-press option.  I've also disabled the video button.

Having said this, one of the cameras it replaced is a Panasonic GF1, and the menus are fairly similar, so maybe I have a bit of a head start.

One thing that I do like (and my wife's Canon G7x has a similar thing), is the way that each menu option is explained by a ticker-tape at the top of the screen.  So it's entirely possible to set the camera up without recourse to a manual.  

I think I am going to really like this little camera.  It's a gem.

Having just bought a D-Lux 109, I must admit that I can't see what all the fuss is about. It took me around 5 minutes to set up the camera how I (think) I want it, namely shooting raw, minimal beeping and setting the A button to the long-press option.  I've also disabled the video button.

Having said this, one of the cameras it replaced is a Panasonic GF1, and the menus are fairly similar, so maybe I have a bit of a head start.

One thing that I do like (and my wife's Canon G7x has a similar thing), is the way that each menu option is explained by a ticker-tape at the top of the screen.  So it's entirely possible to set the camera up without recourse to a manual.  

I think I am going to really like this little camera.  It's a gem.

Anyone coming from Panasonic or Olympus definitely has a head start with the menus.

• 4 years later...
On 3/15/2015 at 5:02 PM, farnz said:

Further to my post 9 above, Alex White's "Photographer's Guide to the D-Lux (Typ 109)" e-book (PDF, EPUB, or MOBI) is available for download at this link for around US$10.

For full disclosure: I have nothing whatsoever to do with the author, his product, or the publisher and I do not stand to profit from the book's sale.

Pete.

Hello farnz ,

I ordered the Kindle version of his 109 guide because Amazon does not seem to offer one for the D-Lux 7 which is supposed to arrive tomorrow! Unfortunately, I missed today’s delivery being at hospital. But from everything I’ve been able to find with my research, the 109 and the 7 are just about the same as far as physical controls go. Not sure about the menus. As far as I can tell, the 7 just has a bit better specifications in the mega pixels and the LCD screen. I’ve been reading the book preparatory to getting my hands on the camera and find it a very useful addition to the pdf manual that Leica supplies.

Cheers,

Unkei