Firmware 1.3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think most sophisticated buyers understand that problems can occur in software (bugs) and can tolerate them for a reasonable period of time (this is of course subjective and dependent on the severity of the problem). What bothers me the most is the fact that Leica almost never wants to acknowledge a problem until it is so blatant that they can no longer ignore it. The SD card issues are an example of that. I would rather a company acknowledge they have a problem or bug and are working on a solution than remain silent making it appear that it is the user's imagination, even after a user has gone to considerable effort to document the problem and provide evidence of the cause.

I think most sophisticated buyers understand that problems can occur in software (bugs) and can tolerate them for a reasonable period of time (this is of course subjective and dependent on the severity of the problem). What bothers me the most is the fact that Leica almost never wants to acknowledge a problem until it is so blatant that they can no longer ignore it. The SD card issues are an example of that. I would rather a company acknowledge they have a problem or bug and are working on a solution than remain silent making it appear that it is the user's imagination, even after a user has gone to considerable effort to document the problem and provide evidence of the cause.

What we do is have a mostly public bug tracking system. See: https:// bugzilla.redhat.com and that allows people to pile on and follow bugs and track them through to resolution. By the number of people that are following a particular problem our project management people are able to get a sense of how many people are affected and are able to prioritize engineering effort. There are many publicly available (free and customizable) bug tracking and support modules that a company like Leica can deploy. That simply requires IT integration time.

The traditional problem is you have the high cost of engineering time and it is a cost. Then your revenue comes from products sold. After the product is sold, there is no revenue to be claimed however there is still the cost of continuing product support to fix bugs, add features, and test releases. So traditionally, the idea in the camera industry was to do few firmware upgrades and invest your R&D and engineering into new product engineering rather than continuing product support. If you wanted new features and bug fixes you had to buy the next camera. On the other hand if a bug in your product was so bad that it drove people away from buying your product you had a real problem. In that case it was worth pulling back some engineering resources from new products to work on an old product to fix the firmware.

Things are changing in the camera industry, there isn't a new product every 6 months. Leica has to protect their brand. They are launching a new camera system and they need to get it launched successfully or the volume of users buying new cameras or lenses will go elsewhere. Also if they are smart, they are using the Leica T's firmware as the basis for the next generation of firmware for the M, S, X. Therefore continuing product support costs also can be seen as part of the new product engineering for the foundation of those systems.

John, I thought you sold your T. You made a big fuss some time ago about how disappointed you were. So why are you complaining about a Leica camera you no longer own? Or is it just fun for you to visit Leica forums and complain about anything and everything Leica? Do you really think they are unaware of and/or not working on a solution? Or is your point that we who still have cameras are idiots?

Edited by WeinschelA
  • Like 1

John, I thought you sold your T. You made a big fuss some time ago about disappointed you were. So why are you complaining about a Leica camera you no longer own? Or is it just fun for you to visit Leica forums and complain about anything and everything Leica? Do you really think they are unaware of and/or not working on a solution? Or is your point that we who still have cameras are idiots?

Noticed that it is serial since the x1 came out: buys the latest non-M, sells it in disappointment, makes a big fuss about it. Maybe others have observed the pattern before that. There will be more new models, so stay tuned. Happy New Year!

Also if they are smart, they are using the Leica T's firmware as the basis for the next generation of firmware for the M, S, X.

I'm inclined to think it will be the processor and main bits from the new S including the zippy AF ..... add an AF capability to the M with a new range of AF lenses and expand on the touch screen interface of the T. Should be good .....

Leica have plenty of good ideas to play with, they just need comparable processing power to the main competitors and sensors/processing that have better high ISO performance and DR. Do that and don't lose the 'less is more' ethos and they will keep a place in the market.

The T (and XV) had no real major glitches and their speed of resolving the issues is getting much quicker. As a relatively low volume producer without the huge IT back-up of Sony or similar they are never going to produce a camera that is going to be 100% perfect when released with the time and resources available .........

Barjohn is expecting miracles that will never happen ......

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I upgraded the firm ware and things went alright when I put on the zoom lens i get the message Lens Error about 1 out of 3 times I turn on the camera. Any recommendation on how to resolve this?

I had the same problem and finally went to leica support. The 1.3 firmware has some problems with my sony card. I got this from them:

Is there enough internal memory still free so that you can use the camera without a card for now, at least until you can get another card? I have just learned that the technicians in the Leica Service Department have confirmed that the new firmware is not friendly with every card on the market. The SanDisk and Lexar cards they tried worked fine but issues have been reported with Hoodman, Raw Steel and Sony cards so far. I know that the Leica factory personnel don’t test with every card brand but this is a matter they’ll have to look at more closely.

Guess I am using a non-approved card and will get a Sandisk but am surprised that a memory card can cause a "lens error"

I'm pretty sure that it will be fixed in 1.3.1 or 1.4. The problem is much more severe when the EVF is on the camera so I think that it is related to the work speeding up the startup. As you enumerate the bus of devices connected to the camera like the lens and the EVF and the SD card, I think that the timeout is too short for the lens initialization and they read that as an error.

My other theory is that they parallelized the startup and therefore do the bus enumeration rather than doing it sequentially and they introduced a race condition that hits based upon the time that a device takes to respond to a command.

Please report your problem to Leica to make sure that they have a good understanding of how severe this problem is and all the vendors SD cards that they need to test.

I use the internal memory when I shoot with my T and observe that with the new microcode, either formatting the internal memory or deleting all images in the internal memory causes the file sequence numbers to be reset. With previous microcode, the only time the file sequence numbers reset was when a master reset was done on the camera.

I think I have also found another inconsistency - rather than a bug.

Drop-on an M-Lens and the T sets to manual. Set Focus Aid On and to one of the thumb dials can be programmed and that the artefacts from the LCD are shown in display on the EVF. We know this.

However, drop-on a T-Lens and operate in manual focus and the T does not pick up those artefacts, in the EVF, nor does it allow you to program Focus Aid into the thumb dials. The x3/x6 are now shown on the LCD display as per firmware 1.2 and can only be toggled from there.

• Like 1

I use the internal memory when I shoot with my T and observe that with the new microcode, either formatting the internal memory or deleting all images in the internal memory causes the file sequence numbers to be reset. With previous microcode, the only time the file sequence numbers reset was when a master reset was done on the camera.

The camera is much faster if you use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards (95MB/Sec) rather than the internal memory. (faster shot to shot, play back, continuous mode clearing the buffer etc)

I did some tests when I first got the camera and found the internal memory to be very slow.

• Like 1