Firmware 1.3

I just upgraded to 1.3 though I had a Zeiss ZM attached. No error message. My question is I am trying the zoom lens this week, will I have to re apply the FW update? Or am I good to go? Wasn't aware that the update also updates the 23 and the zoom.

EVF/Manual spurious icons ......yes .... missing some obscure coding issue is understandable ...... but something as obvious and visible as this is not....

.... someone clearly never bothered to use a manual lens and the EVF .....:mad:

no issues with the AF lens recognition error glitch that others have reported though ......

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

So … for anyone using manual lenses it's not a firmware upgrade ... its a downgrade … steer clear. Unlikely those who are not forum members will find out about the problem until it's too late … unless an official announcement is made.

dunk

.... well actually, the additional usability with the option of altering the focus magnification when the evf is in place is great ....... just two pesky icons in the frame which is a nuisance.

.... but it does highlight sloppy product testing ..... and they did ask for Beta testers .... and then didn't use them .....which for the sake of a week or so would have found all these irritants.

this is sufficiently visibly embarrassing that I would expect it to be fixed asap ...... well Leica asap that is ......:rolleyes:

• Like 1

.... well actually, the additional usability with the option of altering the focus magnification when the evf is in place is great ....... just two pesky icons in the frame which is a nuisance.

.... but it does highlight sloppy product testing ..... and they did ask for Beta testers .... and then didn't use them .....which for the sake of a week or so would have found all these irritants.

this is sufficiently visibly embarrassing that I would expect it to be fixed asap ...... well Leica asap that is ......:rolleyes:

"Leica ASAP" is not going to be imminent. They're all probably off on holday until Jan 5 anyhow.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just installed the new firmware- I did get the*red lens error message*but it was easily solved like suggested i.e. I have turned off the camera, unlocked the lens (Vario Elmar) and rotated a bit without even removing it from the mount an then locked the lens back, then I restarted the camera and finally got automatically the lens firmware update.

No problem with file numbering, probably because I kept the last photos in the SD card.

I didn't have time to do extensive testing, but I'm very happy of the improvements made, in particular:

- I'm very very happy Leica got rid of the annoying semitransparent info gray bars in the viewfinder: the Visoflex graphic layout is definitively much better now.

- when using the touch AF mode I really like that the last AF position is saved.

I have a couple of requests for future firmware

1. Adding the option to overlay both grid lines and histogram on the EVF and LCD: I'm surprised this cannot be done with the Leica T like with (all) other mirrorless. Maybe grid lines and histogram overlay could be implemented with another dedicated menu icon with 4 states (no overlay, only gridlines, only histogram, both gridlines and histogram) or just adding a fifth option to the Info menu.

2. Moving a single focus point with the dials can be done only looking at the LCD, the EVF is automatically turned off: it would be nice to be able to move the focus point while looking thru the EVF and then confirm focus with a half press of the button.

Overall it's a good Christmas present from Leica, after all they're listening to their customers and seem committed to this camera system.

By the way, I’m wondering what happened to the beta firmware testing program.

Greetings to all

EVF/Manual spurious icons ......yes .... missing some obscure coding issue is understandable ...... but something as obvious and visible as this is not....

.... someone clearly never bothered to use a manual lens and the EVF .....:mad:

no issues with the AF lens recognition error glitch that others have reported though ......

Yes indeed.

anyone would have noticed it instantly - They should institute the beta testing here which has worked so well for the M firmware updates . . . . Perhaps they thought all the changes were so straightforward that they needn't bother to test it.

Fortunately a half press of the shutter gets rid of them, but they simply shouldn't be there.

• Like 1

I Quite agree with you - on all counts (I saw it the day it was released too).

I guess we might have to wait until after the Christmas break however.

Yes indeed.

anyone would have noticed it instantly - They should institute the beta testing here which has worked so well for the M firmware updates . . . . Perhaps they thought all the changes were so straightforward that they needn't bother to test it.

Fortunately a half press of the shutter gets rid of them, but they simply shouldn't be there.

Does a half press of the shutter definitely extinguish the unwanted icons which are visible in the EVF when using manual lenses? If so, I will upgrade the firmware.

dunk

Only until you turn one of the dials again.

But it is not a great nuisance. The camera is good to use.

We have to, until they come up with a solution!

If I'm reading this correctly …with 1.3 installed, manual focus lenses result in the rogue icons showing up in the Viso EVF image area … but they extinguish when shutter release is half pressed ... and then show up again as soon as soon as one of the dials is turned … and then go out again if shutter release half depressed again.

Sounds too frustrating and distracting so I'm not upgrading until the 'fix' is announced.

And what happens after the shutter release is fully depressed after being half depressed to extinguish the icons? ? Do the rogue icons reappear?

dunk

After using the camera today, I think 1.3 is inching - at a snail's pace - towards being a reasonable camera to use, though still sluggish in operation.

But, I have not invested so far in Leica T glass and am using Leica M glass instead, manual focus of course.

And, of course, I'm getting the spurious icons while focussing. It simply shows that Leica do not have a clue when it comes to software development and testing. How can anyone with their brain in gear have tested this software version with manual focus without noticing the icons?

They are incompetent, simple as that. Has anyone told Leica about this problem because they are clearly asleep on the job and will not otherwise find out?

I do hate the smug, self-congratulatory attitude which pervades all Leica's positioning in the marketplace. Starting with the M8 IR sensor problem, it's been one disaster after another. Cracked sensors, corroded sensors, lack of parts, inability to fix, lens problems, you name it, they've had it. Do I get the same garbage from Nikon? I do not.

Just as well I'm full of Christmas cheer (a fine 2007 Gevrey Chambertin actually) otherwise I might to be tempted to really tell as I see it.

Come on Leica, sort yourselves out.

Has anyone told Leica about this problem because they are clearly asleep on the job and will not otherwise find out?.

Yes Mark - but unlike the M240 firmware update which was subjected to the scrutiny and wisdom of LUF (with the result of some seriously squashed bugs). This was, as far as I'm aware, only tested in house.

• Like 1

After using the camera today, I think 1.3 is inching - at a snail's pace - towards being a reasonable camera to use, though still sluggish in operation. …..

But, I have not invested so far in Leica T glass and am using Leica M glass instead,

I do hate the smug, self-congratulatory attitude which pervades all Leica's positioning in the marketplace. Starting with the M8 IR sensor problem, it's been one disaster after another. Cracked sensors, corroded sensors, lack of parts, inability to fix, lens problems, you name it, they've had it. Do I get the same garbage from Nikon? I do not.

Just as well I'm full of Christmas cheer (a fine 2007 Gevrey Chambertin actually) otherwise I might to be tempted to really tell as I see it.

Come on Leica, sort yourselves out.

Nikon and Canon have experienced problems in the past e.g. the D600 sensor which resulted in replacements being necessary.

dunk