Firmware 1.3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've just received an email to visit my local Leica Store to get the new 1.3 firmware installed, which includes a number of improvements including a start-up time of less than 0.9s. However, I can't find a link so I can just do this from my computer - anyone know a link out there for this?

Loaded the new firmware 1.3, without a problem.

Does what's promised on the package, faster startup etc.!! Nice work Leica!!

Only one glitch I noticed, when using a manual lens and dialing the left button for the focusing aid (or any other setting for this or the other dial), the EVF shows, (confusingly) the right part of the LCD-screen projection (the 3 button A,camera-icon and info button) almost in the middle-right of the EVF-screen.

Seems to be an error. Can somebody confirm this? If so Leica has some work to do in 1.3.02.

Still missing the feature that locking of the LCD-screen is continued (right swipe down), after shutting down and restarting. Would be handy in daily use.

Also using the readouts of the codes of manual M-lenses, for correction (distortion and CLA etc.) in-camera of the lenses, is highly anticipated by me (As Sean Reid suggested in his review)

Meanwhile still having a lot of fun with this beautiful camera!!

Edited by AndrewAM

Tried the WiFi feature. Recognizing the networks is hugely improved. Only....

when connected to my personal hotspot, the camera freezes, the LCD is showing garbage and I can only reboot the camera by removing the battery.

Question: has someone got the same experience?

For me Wifi stays a no-go area for the moment. Must state that I don't use it much. But for night shots on the tripod, it would be useful.

And daylight is scarce these months......

Edited by AndrewAM

Here's a cut and paste on the firmware update... Sounds good!

I'm downloading it now!

A new firmware version 1.3 for the Leica T (701) will be available on the 18th December.

This version offers significant performance improvements and some new features that simplify the overall handling;

- WiFi Set Up Menu: after connecting to a WiFi network an assistant menu comes into place asking whether to use the “Leica T APP” or the “WEB GALLERY” application.

- Auto rotate: extended version of Auto rotate mode: the image will be rotated when the camera is rotated in order to use full LCD size. This rotation is also active in “Auto Review” playback.

- Brightness Simulation: the live view image in M exposure mode is now showing a brightness simulation of the resulting exposure; this function is also available in P, A, S when using “Exposure Compensation”.

- M-adaptor and Dial use: when using the M adaptor, the “Focus Aid Function” - magnification 3x, 6x and off - is available in direct access on the left soft dial.

- Digiscoping Scene Mode: in Digiscoping mode, the exposure is improved

- EVF: newly adapted graphic layout of the information bars in the EVF

- Touch AF / Touch AF and Release: when using the Touch AF mode the last AF position will be kept, also if the camera is operated by the shutter release button.

- Optional limited Focus range: a new AF mode is implemented which is active with certain upcoming lenses – the tele photo zoom lens. This mode offers a limited focus distance range in order to speed up the Auto Focus for certain photographic applications.

- Scene Modes: AF modes can now be selected in scene modes

[Performance Improvements:

Start up time: the start up time is significantly shortened compared to the previous FW version (< 0,9s)

Image Quality: improvement of the cameras internal digital image processing; new tone curves for JPG images are implemented which match DNG image impression

Bug fixes & general performance improvements. The refinement of the firmware and diversification of the lens portfolio are important steps to improve and complete the system.

The firmware can be downloaded here - Downloads // Support // Service & Support - Leica Camera AG from the 18th December.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hip hip horray. An early Christmas present.

Keep them coming Leica! Without crossing the line into feature-itis and keeping with the spirit of Das Wesentlisch there are still many kinks to be worked out.

I bought my camera about the time 1.2 was released. If their engineering process is like ours then the specification and planning for 1.3 were probably already done by around the time that I started filing bug reports. So the first release where I expect some of my issues to be fixed is 1.4. Now I'll go through my list to see which ones have been addressed by this release. Startup time was a big one!

It's an early Christmas gift for sure.

The improvement in start-up time is fantastic. Leica here is even better than Santa - because that was tops on my wish list.

NOW, the T is true to its legacy of being able to capture the decisive moment! They've got a real winner on their hands with the T.

Thank you Leica!!

I installed 1.3 with the 23mm on the camera. After the firmware installed, I restarted the camera. Then the firmware upgrade to the lens started. The firmware install finished, and I got a "red" lens error message. After I restarted, the lens was not detected, but after detaching and reattaching the lens everything was fine, and has been fine. The firmware upgrade to the 18-56 went smoothly and I had no errors.

1) Is there a way to see what the lens firmware is? (I know how to see the camera firmware, I just want to verify that the 23mm was properly upgraded)

2) Is there a way to force-reinstall the 1.3 firmware on the camera and lens, or to re-install 1.2, and then re-upgrade to 1.3?

3) After the update, In some low-light conditions, over dark objects, I am now getting an inconsistent a blinking white pixel on the screen (I noticed this first using the EVF, and thought it was an EVF defect, but it's actually visible on both the EVF and the screen). It is not present in the camera output files, but I am wondering if something has been tweaked with the gain during low-light. It was not present before the upgrade to 1.3, and is annoying when it happens.

Overall, 1.3 has further improved the camera. The WiFi performance and stability (with both networks and connected to personal hotspots) seems much improved. The standard jpg output is closer to the raw files, although more muted. The install was a bit nerve-wracking as I dislike red error messages. I tried to call Leica US but they are at their Christmas party today. Hope they are having fun :)

I have been using the camera since late June, and think it is great.

Edited by starshipstu
56mm, not 55mm (that extra 1mm was the expensive one)

Well, I've only had the firmware installed for a short while, but here are some things I have noticed:

1) It's going to reset your file numbering, so be prepared for that. You are going to end up with duplicate file numbers. I've gotten around this issue by setting up a custom "file renaming" in Lightroom, so all my files get named as they are moved off the flash card anyway. Not a big deal at all, but wouldn't want anyone surprised.

2) You will lose all your presets, so make sure you have a few minutes to reconfigure the camera afterwards.

3) Startup time is definitely improved, but you may not get anywhere near the 0.9s promised if you are using a larger flash card. I am running a SanDisk Extreme in 32GB, as an example, and my startup time is around 2s. If I pull that out and use just the internal memory, the 0.9s becomes real.

4) I haven't seen any difference in the image quality, but I only used DNG's anyway.

5) The brightness simulation is definitely cool and may even be useful. I still wouldn't trust what I see in the viewfinder for judging critical exposure values, but it's good for evaluating overall tone.

6) I LOVE the changes to the focus aid when using my M lenses. Vast improvement that literally makes manual focusing almost pleasant. This one was really huge--I'm glad that made the tweak.

- Jared

Downloaded the file as per previous version but can't seem to update to V1.3.

Batteries fully charges - checked

SD card reformatted - checked

.TUV file copied into SD - checked

Press record button + turn on camera - checked

Then .. Nothing happens... Camera starts up as per normal photo taking.

**video button functionality - checked by taking some videos

Only one glitch I noticed, when using a manual lens and dialing the left button for the focusing aid (or any other setting for this or the other dial), the EVF shows, (confusingly) the right part of the LCD-screen projection (the 3 button A,camera-icon and info button) almost in the middle-right of the EVF-screen.

Seems to be an error. Can somebody confirm this?

I'd like to know if others are getting this issue before updating my T. As I use manual lenses with the EVF all the time. :/

The problem stil exists, so I contacted Leica in Solms and they are checking it. Still waiting for a reply. I can work around it for the moment , it just slightly blocks the view in the EVF.

But a definitive solution would be nice!

Am I the only one with the WiFi problems? It's unusable for the moment.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by AndrewAM

The only thing I want fixed is still broken.

Since 1.1, when you use an M lens, if you take a shot, and then half press the shutter to anticipate the next shot, it holds the image just taken in the view finder.

This is very annoying and it takes longer between shots.

Next is when you shoot continuous with M lenses, if you shoot a few frames, it again holds the image in the viewfinder until the buffer is fully cleared. During that time you are completely blind.

Contrast this to using a T lens, where it holds the image in the viewfinder until you half press the shutter, which makes it go away so you are ready to take the next shot.

I sometimes just keep shooting, hoping my composition is ok as I can't see a thing. Not something you would expect from a camera of this expense.

Someone mentioned they have been submitting bug reports. How do you do that as I have been on the fence about keeping the camera, and after 2 quite big firmware releases, my concerns have not been addressed.

Edited by haydenc
spelling
  • Like 1

I received that "lens error" message also when I first installed the firmware with the zoom lens attached. I too was concerned, but all seems ok. When I changed to the 23mm lens, the camera updated the lens firmware for that lens without issue.

Hopefully there are no gremlins hidden in this new update. I am hopeful, and thankful for the frequency and speed of interim updates from Leica. It sends a good signal to the Leica community about the strategic importance of the T platform for them.

Hopefully they will come out with more lenses for the T platform with a similar type of frequency and speed!

Happy shooting friends!

Edited by Guest