Compare 21 ASPH to WATE?

xrogers

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

I've used the M8 for six months now, and am considering what to do with my lens discount.

I have the 21 ASPH, and it is a fantastic lens---amazingly sharp, good contrast, no distortion I can detect. I miss the very wide on the M8, and have figured I'd get a 15 CV. But now I find myself thinking about the WATE...two lenses become one lens, and with the discount, if I sold the 21, likely little or no price difference.

Besides the f-stop, what would I lose trading the 21 for a WATE?

Thanks much,

--clyde

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You may loose more time fiddling with the lens a bit, like changing from 16 to 18 to 21 on both the lense, body (so it will recognize the change and meter properly), as well as the view finder....

And also from f/2.8 to f/4.

But anyway, I have been using mine for only 2 days and already like it a hell of a lot. I also use Zeiss 15 f/2.8, which can be operated much faster than the WATE.

However, I wouldn't trade the Zeiss for a WATE. If I have a good copy of 21 f/2.8 in mint condition, I also would not trade it for a WATE. I woudl safe money to get WATE and keep the 21.

Great lense I use this and the 75 f2 and leave the 35 and 50 in the bag

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I like the WATE and the flexibility it offers but the messing about when changing focal lengths - adjust lens, adjust finder, adjust menu, focus, frame - makes it slower to use.

If course, in theory, you need an external finder with the 21 as well but I find I can frame reliably without one, knowing there's a safety margin around what I can see.

As for for image quality, they are both excellent.

i dont have a 21 mm but changing focal lenth and the inputs takes less time than changing a lens + no debris gets into the body.You may need an adapter to mount the uv/ir.J Millich does one,see thread"WATE adapter".The frankenfinder,should you get one ,has it's quirky charm,is bright but i find the spirit level fluid could be a wee bit more viscous. Checkout Erwin Putts review if you havn't done so already!

rob

Guest guy_mancuso

I never got the chance to test the two before the 21mm was sold. There both extremely good no question there , if I had to give a edge than the 21mm would be it but i will wait for Seans review of it now.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Woodda, nice photo (my wife commented on it from across the room). Which of the lenses do you use, the 21 or the WATE?

Mark, it sounds like you have both. Do you see any difference in prints from the two lenses (specifically with the WATE at 21)?

Digibob, I did look at the Puts article, and it is helpful.

And Sean, one of your lens reviews is exactly what I need to finalize this decision. Any plan for when that article will be up (I want to make the discount deadline...)?

Thanks,

--clyde

Here the Leica engineers have been working overtime to provide you with the heftiest Leica wide angle lense to go with the M8 with a reach all the way down to 21 mm (in real terms) and you are considering the old and dusty 21 mm (28 mm in real terms)...!?!?

Go for the WATE! This must be among the heftiest wide angle lenses for just any digital camera.

Mark, it sounds like you have both. Do you see any difference in prints from the two lenses (specifically with the WATE at 21)?

It's a straight trade between the (relative) speed of the 21 and the convenience of the WATE. They're both excellent lenses and I'm more than pleased i was stwith the results from both.

Given the choice of one, I'd go for the WATE though.

Guest guy_mancuso

I would have to agree with Mark , I am actually glad i sold the CV 15 and the 21 leica to get the WATE. It's all there in one package. I may go back and buy a 24 2.8 though for just in case i need the speed and very wide at the same time, but maybe just another excuse to get another lens too. I'm very bad at buying lenses, bad habit:D

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Woodda, nice photo (my wife commented on it from across the room). Which of the lenses do you use, the 21 or the WATE?

Digibob, I did look at the Puts article, and it is helpful.

And Sean, one of your lens reviews is exactly what I need to finalize this decision. Any plan for when that article will be up (I want to make the discount deadline...)?

Thanks,

--clyde

Hi Clyde,

I just did a lot of testing with the ultra-wides today. The 75s should be up in the next couple of days and then I'm simultaneously working on the ultrawides and the 35s reviews. Might be a week, might be two. There's a ton of work that has to go into each review and just preparing the example tables takes a lot of time. When is your deadline?

Cheers,

Sean

Thanks to everyone for these responses, this has been quite helpful to me. I'm sure glad this forum exists!

Sean, if I remember correctly (I'm away from home right now) the discount deadline is June. I'll be happy to wait a week or two for one of your thorough reviews.

Thanks again everyone,

Clyde

I dont have the wate but the 15cv, Leica 21 and 24mm.

I got the 24 for the M8 (because I wouldnt need an external finder) and it excellent however lately I use the 21 more often.

It seems a little less contrasty, very sharp and I really like the tonal gradiations from this lens.

I have not yet decided on the WATE (for discount lens) but am not sure if I really need it.

Also the filter holder/sun shade for the wate turns me off.

Cheers, Tom

You will not get hurt ordering the WATE because the resale market should stay strong for some time. I finally picked one up with the finder used (purchased in March) and so far I am happy with it. Handling for me isn t an issue ..I don t consider anything for the M series large. Range a quick test against the 28mm suumicron and the 24 elmarit ...from a practical standpoint ...it compares and fits in nicely. The tiping point for me is that the WATE is rangefinder coupled..the Zeiss 15mm is not. I think the WATE handles great and will give me the full range of ultra wides in one lens. If I had a 30% coupon I would order the WATE or the Noctilux and sell/trade other lens to balance my set.