Freedom from Filters (here lies heresy)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most of my lenses had filters, some didn't, notably my 75 Lux. So I was in the land of synthetic black & tungsten with the M8! When I get a chance, I'll post some stuff.

Hi Jamie

I want that lux - maybe because you don't have a filter you'd like to get rid of it?:)

I'm afraid that my small brain would become confused using some lenses with, and some without filters - do you use different cards? My filters certainly come out of their boxes on such occasions!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know Jono started this thread to take a contrary position, to be a little bit anarchic, but I am sitting here reviewing my images from the last couple of days.

Yesterday, I went out with just a first Tri-Elmar and a 90 Elmarit, no filters. Today, I went out with a 28mm Summicon and 50 Summilux ASPH, both with Leica filters.

Subject matter was similar across the two days, lots of coastal shots and vegetation and I'm much happier with the filtered shots than the ones without to the extent I have to go back tomorrow and repeat some of the first day's shots.

So for me, to use a (Leica) lens on an M8, you put a filter on the front and a code on the back.

I know Jono started this thread to take a contrary position, to be a little bit anarchic, but I am sitting here reviewing my images from the last couple of days.

Yesterday, I went out with just a first Tri-Elmar and a 90 Elmarit, no filters. Today, I went out with a 28mm Summicon and 50 Summilux ASPH, both with Leica filters.

Subject matter was similar across the two days, lots of coastal shots and vegetation and I'm much happier with the filtered shots than the ones without to the extent I have to go back tomorrow and repeat some of the first day's shots.

So for me, to use a (Leica) lens on an M8, you put a filter on the front and a code on the back.

HI Mark

Funny you should say this - I've done exactly the same thing - only it's a latest tri-elmar and a 75 'cron. Unfortunately I can't go back and retake the filtered shots, but I would if I could.

But maybe it's to do with what you are doing with them. I never ever managed to get a decent shot out of C1 with an unfiltered lens; the leica jpgs are much better. But I'm using aperture these days, Lightroom is somewhere in between.

I think it's very dependent on which 'converter' you are using.

Best wishes (well, nearly, I was rather hoping this thread had died!).