In defence of the CCD sensor in the Leica M Cameras

mikeleng

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Signed , Peter

Your blog is an inspiration, to all who use the Leica M CCD sensor .

Mike

Thank you so much Mike. I didn't want to hijack your thread (and I hope I haven't), but celebrating the M9/M-E (and M8) CCD is something I get excited about.

Given how old — in digital terms — the technology is, could you imagine what a new state-of-the-art CCD sensor would be capable of?

Bravo to you for starting a positive thread celebrating the venerable M9/M-E CCD.

Peter.

• Like 6

Your welcome Peter, keep up the good work .

Leica M9P, 35mm Summicron 800 iso, no need to sharpen the CCD sensor will take care of that .

Mike

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 8

Continuing the great M9 CCD lovefest.

4 pics from Capadocia (Turkey) last October.

Hot Air Balloon flight at dawn+.

M9 + 50mm Summilux

My M9 is now in for sensor replacement. :mad:

Edited by erl
  • Like 13

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Started the Leica life with an M6 back in the early nineties. Got and M8 when that came out, never had any trouble with it. Wanted a FF but waited until the M was announced. Handled it and found it was not for me, so I got an ME. All the cameras I will need.

M8, 35 Cron v4:

ME, 50 Cron latest version:

• Like 7

I'm not sure that the sensor needs defending myself. In all the recent furore many seem to have forgotten that the M9 is in essence and extremely fine photographic tool. This was shot on my M9 with the 90mm Elmarit-M and shows nuances of detail when printed which I still find extraordinary. I find that the files from my M9 are very pliable, allowing for great flexibility in their tonal adjustments. The shot posted was on the edge with marginally blown highlights in the top left. Despite this they were acceptably adjusted and shadows lifted to reveal a wealth of detail at the expense of very little noise and no banding.

• Like 9

I won't post any images, but I love these two cameras which I used for my latest book, on the closing of the 178-year-old Kingston Penitentiary. Here are a couple of links. Geoffrey James captures stunning images of life inside Kingston Pen | The Sunday Edition with Michael Enright | CBC Radio and:

Inside Kingston Penitentiary (1835 - 2013): Geoffrey James - Photography - Black Dog Publishing

\ At the moment I am working on a book about an obscure but brilliant Slovenian architect named Joze Plecnik, using only the Monochrom. I can't believe its performanc and I can't imagine anything much better, although I may at some point get the "professional" version as a backup. Geoffrey James

• Like 1

I'm not sure that the sensor needs defending myself. In all the recent furore many seem to have forgotten that the M9 is in essence and extremely fine photographic tool.

I don't think anyone denies the M9/MM sensor is capable of spectacular IQ when there are no cracks in the cover class, or delamination spots in the coating, or lines of dead pixels etc etc.

• Like 2

to add, since I am no unable to edit my post above (why?):

Check out the comments in this report:

From the Leica M9 to the Leica M240…and Back to the M9 By Ashwin Rao | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

The M9 is the preferred Leica color digital camera today by a majority of pro shooters, or so it seems when they come out the field long enough to comment. In fact most of the defenses of the 240 have to do with things like "battery life", and the EVF.

Unbelievable! I am beginning to think you have a speciial copy of the M9. My 2500ISO shots can't be published I 'm afraid.

What do you use for processing? Try Lightroom 5 (current version) if you haven't already. With raw files, set noise reduction to: Luminance = 30; Color = 25 to 100 (for ISO 2500 shots). In camera calibration, set Process to 2012 (current).

What do you use for processing? Try Lightroom 5 (current version) if you haven't already. With raw files, set noise reduction to: Luminance = 30; Color = 25 to 100 (for ISO 2500 shots). In camera calibration, set Process to 2012 (current).

Thank you zlatkob! I use C1 and sometimes LR5. In the mean time I did some more captures with 2500ISO and see that there is much more posible than I thought. I will try your settings too, thnx!

• Like 2

a night shot of the annual lighted boat parade. fewer boats each year.

m9, elmarit 21 @f/4 32sec iso 360

• Like 6

Three more pics showing depth of vision of the M9.

Lens was Elmarit 24mm wide open. ISO640.

Location is Abu Simbel in Egypt.

Pics made about a month ago.

Photography was forbidden inside the temple of Ramses 11 but I had travelled half way round the world to get these pics. I was not observed so no one was disturbed or offended by my actions.

• Like 16