D Lux (Typ 109) flash recommendation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just a quick note for those who may be interested.

I suspect that most owners are unlikely to use flash much with the Typ 109, especially given its fast lens and decent high ISO image quality. However, if there are occasions when you do want to use flash without spending a small fortune, I can recommend the Nissin Di466 (Four Thirds model). It's reasonably compact and not totally unbalanced on the camera, has a useful guide number (33 from memory) and from a few test shots last night seems to work perfectly with the D Lux. I'm not sure the build is quite up there with Metz (who also make some of the Leica branded units) but it's not far off - I'm happy with mine.

Hope this helps someone!...

Jon

• Like 3

Thanks Jon, that is useful to know.

I have tried my Typ 109 with my Olympus FL-300R which is a very compact little flash that tilts but does not swivel. It works well in TTL mode. It has the limitation of low power (GN28 at ISO200). I should think that any of the m43 compatible flashes would work and the Nissins are very competitively priced.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
thinking about the Nissan i40 as its more compact and I think has a higher guide number

thinking about the Nissan i40 as its more compact and I think has a higher guide number

My new Nissin i40 arrived three days ago. I have not been able to use it much yet but I can confirm that it works very well in TTL and manual mode on the hot shoe after a bit if a struggle to get it properly mounted. Initially it seemed to be a very tight fit on the D-Lux 109 but quite easy on my Olympus E-M1. After mounting it a couple if times it now fits firmly but without difficulty. I have yet to explore the more advanced settings - HSS, Slave and Wireless modes.

It is a nice compact little flash but reasonably powerful with a guide number of 40 at ISO 100. The head both tilts and swivels. It comes complete with a stand, softbox and a neat carrying case. Here are some pictures of it mounted on the new D-Lux.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

Thank you very much!

What I can say in addition is what the Leica Customer Service wrote: "The flash LEICA SF58 does not work, it uses the SCA 3502 system for communication with the Leica M cameras, but the D-Lux (Type 109) uses the SCA 3202 system."

In the meantime I used the tiny original flash, in AWB mode it is perfectly well balanced and delivers wonderful colors (see red and brown colors).

With a minor adjustment (Photoshop Express) it is good for distances up to 5m

(1st picture Youth Hostel door Nuremberg)

and with a minor adjustment (Snapseed) it is good for distances up to 15m

(2nd picture tower Stein)

I hope it will further improve

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am planning to buy nissin i40 for my new dlux type 109 . could you pls guide me if is it working properly in TTL?. My ex flashgun METZ 24AF-1 which it was working perfect on LUMIX LX7 is not compatible for new DLUX model even it is for Oly+Pana+Leica 4/3 models. that's why I am confused? Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My new Nissin i40 arrived three days ago. I have not been able to use it much yet but I can confirm that it works very well in TTL and manual mode on the hot shoe after a bit if a struggle to get it properly mounted. Initially it seemed to be a very tight fit on the D-Lux 109 but quite easy on my Olympus E-M1. After mounting it a couple if times it now fits firmly but without difficulty. I have yet to explore the more advanced settings - HSS, Slave and Wireless modes.

It is a nice compact little flash but reasonably powerful with a guide number of 40 at ISO 100. The head both tilts and swivels. It comes complete with a stand, softbox and a neat carrying case. Here are some pictures of it mounted on the new D-Lux.

attachicon.gif9/4/7/5/7/475010.attach

attachicon.gif9/4/7/5/7/475011.attach

attachicon.gif9/4/7/5/7/475012.attach

Hello,

Which version of the i40 are you using?  I got the 4/3rd's version and that wasn't firing on my D-lux 109. 

Thanks,

Hien

Hi Archie; it seems you are using a screen protector on your 109. Could you please tell which one you have and if it is satisfying you?

Thanks,

Hello,

Which version of the i40 are you using?  I got the 4/3rd's version and that wasn't firing on my D-lux 109. 

Thanks,

Hien

My Nissin i40 Flash is the one described as for Olympus/Panasonic/Leica which is the one for micro four thirds cameras.. My first attempts to use it were unsuccessful but that was because the foot of the flash was not properly mounted in the hot shoe of the Leica D-Lux 109. It did seem to be a very tight fit and needed to be pushed firmly into the hot shoe until it clicked. After doing that it worked well. Although it is a very tight fit on the D-Lux it fits easily on my Olympus )M-D E-M1.

Incidentally my Olympus FL-300R flash works very well on the Leica D-Lux. It is a very neat little flash which tilts but does not swivel and is not as powerful as the Nissin.

Hi Archie; it seems you are using a screen protector on your 109. Could you please tell which one you have and if it is satisfying you?

Thanks,

Hi Louis,

I am using a Savies SU75 screen protector which seems to do the job all right. It is one of the thin stick-on protectors marketed for the Panasonic LX100 which of course has the same LCD screen. It cost abour 2 Euros for 6. I have used only one so far. Contact http://www.protectionfilms24.com .

From your recent posts I am not sure if you have a functionig Leica D-L 109 at present. You seem to have been extraordinarily unfortunate in havig been supplied with three faulty cameras in a row. My copy seems to be OK so far though I am not quite as ecstatic about its performance or handling as some users but that of course may be down to my skill or lack of it.

Edited by ayewing
  • Like 1

Hi Louis,

I am using a Savies SU75 screen protector which seems to do the job all right. It is one of the thin stick-on protectors marketed for the Panasonic LX100 which of course has the same LCD screen. It cost abour 2 Euros for 6. I have used only one so far. Contact http://www.protectionfilms24.com .

From your recent posts I am not sure if you have a functionig Leica D-L 109 at present. You seem to have been extraordinarily unfortunate in havig been supplied with three faulty cameras in a row. My copy seems to be OK so far though I am not quite as ecstatic about its performance or handling as some users but that of course may be down to my skill or lack of it.

Thank you, Archie,

This is also what I used on my 2 109 cameras! They are cheap but very good! But I returned the third one before even registering it!... I found the failing part right away as I was trying to set the diopter for my eye!

I think, a very negative "karma" has been created between 109 and Yours Truly! ... I cannot feel comfortable with this camera anymore; so, I prefer to move on, and to an upgrade. I think it is time for me to venture with a bigger sensor; a APS-C one, for instance! :) maybe that was a message from Photo-God that I should not ignore! :)

With best regards, my friend,

Edited by Louis2

First post, first Leica for over 30 years!

Anyhoo, I wondered if anyone knew if the Nikon SB400 would work on the D-Lux?  I have one (obviously) and it only works in TTL mode with the Nikons, just wondered if I would get away with it on the Leica?

Welcome to the forum Boxbrownie.

The hot shoe pin layout on Nikons is similar to that on the Leica M and X series cameras but quite different from the layout in the Pana Leicas such as the D-Lux 109 which use the Olympus/Panasonc system used by micro fourthids cameras. I think you are out of luck!

Archie, thank you for the welcome........I suspected as much with the flash unit, just clutching at a cheap straw really  :D

I didn't realise until opening the box that the supplied flash unit powers from the camera and not from it's own battery supply, in this case it is a shame they could not have made the flash unit a little more "low profile" so it could be kept on camera for those occasions when it might be handy.

I do like to use the built in units for a bit of fill light outside on sunny days (obviously only ever on close(ish) portraits), looks like I'll be using the "shadow/highlight" buttons in PS more often now  :rolleyes:

I do like to use the built in units for a bit of fill light outside on sunny days (obviously only ever on close(ish) portraits), looks like I'll be using the "shadow/highlight" buttons in PS more often now  :rolleyes:

I agree. I find both removable flash and EVFs a bit of a pain. If you leave them on it is difficult to fit then in a bag or case but if you take them off then you have easily lost small objects to deal with.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...