M9 cracked CCD sensor: upgrade options in lieu of repair?

philipotto

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I sent my M9 to Leica New Jersey to have them look at some sporadic electronic—memory card and battery—issues that I was having. When it arrived Leica said that the sensor was cracked. It definitely wasn't cracked during my last shoot, so this was very surprising. I can only assume that it was damaged in transit, though Leica doesn't seem to think that was the case and stated that the packaging wasn't damaged...

Leica quoted me $2450 to replace the sensor. Thankfully my insurance will cover the repair, but I am reluctant to go forward with repair since any underlying issues with this CCD/cover glass assembly may be unresolved.

Has anyone gotten an offer to upgrade to the M240 in lieu of an M9 sensor replacement? I've heard that such an offer is in the works but pricing and terms haven't been finalized yet.

Stefan Daniel stated in an earlier thread on cracked sensors that they would be replaced free of charge...

Dear M9 Users,

Please let me update you on the broken cover glass situation. We at Leica are aware of the issue and the current reported isolated instances are a very low proportion of the cameras delivered.

Our colleagues both in R&D and QA are investigating and have not yet determined a root cause, nor it was possible to provoke a sensor to crack in our labs (temperature shock, heat, cold, humidity, mechanical bending etc.).

Cameras found to have this fault are having the sensor assembly replaced as a priority (free of charge of course) and our Customer Service will complete the repair in the shortest delays possible.

With my best regards,

Stefan Daniel, Leica Camera AG

It has not not been retracted as far as I'm aware, so it is still binding. Worth confronting Leica NJ with.

Edited by jaapv

For so long as Leica can source sensors, they will continue to repair the M9.

If the sensor fails (through no mistreatment), Leica will replace them free of charge (until they reach a point in time when they say that the sensor has passed its usable lifespan - if it's a manufacturing fault, Leica is very good at just replacing things, even out of warranty).

When we reach the stage that the CCD sensor can no longer be sourced, we can expect Leica to offer a discount on M9 based cameras which fail and cannot be repaired. I still expect that to be a small number; and the discount will reflect the age of the camera. As Jaap mentions, your best option is to either go back to Leica NJ, or go to Leica in Wetzlar, and get the sensor replaced free. Then get out and enjoy your camera.

If you want a new one, get yours repaired, and then sell it - the trade in will never be as good. I would also suggest that the best time to buy a M(240) is in the next 6 to 12 months, once a replacement model is announced. You can expect the price to dip bit then.

I usually find the best camera is the one I have already.

Cheers

John

For so long as Leica can source sensors, they will continue to repair the M9.

If the sensor fails (through no mistreatment), Leica will replace them free of charge (until they reach a point in time when they say that the sensor has passed its usable lifespan - if it's a manufacturing fault, Leica is very good at just replacing things, even out of warranty).

When we reach the stage that the CCD sensor can no longer be sourced, we can expect Leica to offer a discount on M9 based cameras which fail and cannot be repaired. I still expect that to be a small number; and the discount will reflect the age of the camera. As Jaap mentions, your best option is to either go back to Leica NJ, or go to Leica in Wetzlar, and get the sensor replaced free. Then get out and enjoy your camera.

If you want a new one, get yours repaired, and then sell it - the trade in will never be as good. I would also suggest that the best time to buy a M(240) is in the next 6 to 12 months, once a replacement model is announced. You can expect the price to dip bit then.

I usually find the best camera is the one I have already.

Cheers

John

Are you aware of this thread? http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/307974-strange-white-spots-m9-sensor.html

Or this one? http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-zur-leica-m9/338394-umfrage-wer-hat-seiner-m9-me.html

I would advise the OP to get in touch with Leica in Germany and insist on a free replacement or an upgrade offer

However, all Leica does at the moment install a similar error prone sensor.

Edited by k-hawinkler

Hi K-H,

I was aware of those threads, but hadn't read them.

I had a weird delimitation on my M9 sensor a few years ago, and Leica replaced it without any comment. This shouldn't be a problem, and yes the new sensor is just as prone as the old one to delamination ...

Not sure why the OP was told he would have to pay for the sensor. NJ would know this, surely.

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi K-H,

I was aware of those threads, but hadn't read them.

I had a weird delimitation on my M9 sensor a few years ago, and Leica replaced it without any comment. This shouldn't be a problem, and yes the new sensor is just as prone as the old one to delamination ...

Not sure why the OP was told he would have to pay for the sensor. NJ would know this, surely.

Cheers

John

Thanks John. Here is the explanation in short form. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/355892-bookmarks-m9-sensor-corrosion-issue.html

Supporters of the open letter have signed here. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/forum-zur-leica-m9/355714-offener-brief-die-leica-camera-ag.html#post2836241

Edited by k-hawinkler

My M9 has been with Leica for over ten weeks so far. Hideous green stripe at all ISOs out of warranty. Apparently they are out of stock on M9 sensors and I have not received a date as to when the camera will actually be repaired.

Good luck.

Jaap and others,

Thanks for pointing to Stephan Daniels previous post. I too had thought that Leica was covering M9 sensor replacements—which I thought was a generous, customer orientated policy. I sent an email to CS Solms to inquire about this seeming discrepancy. I'm awaiting their response.

• Like 1