Lenses with character

jackal

I totally agree with Andy on the Summaron 35, I once owned it and it is unbelievable for a lens of 1956, as Potatoes proves. But also on film; very versatile lens with dodging and burning.

As for Jackal's plans: I feel that 75 S'lux is the sister of 35 S'cron pre-asph (pancake, 'Bokeh champion'). They share the same classic traits (in B&W especially).

• 3 years later...
I wish I could find an adaptor for my 1967 Contarex Planar 50mm so that I could use it on my M6. This in my opinion was the finest lens ever made - it's better than my 50mm Summicron at F2.

I too have fallen for this vintage of Planar. From my limited experience, this is a special lens.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I wish I could find an adaptor for my 1967 Contarex Planar 50mm so that I could use it on my M6. This in my opinion was the finest lens ever made - it's better than my 50mm Summicron at F2.

Oh but there is!! ... But it is not rangefinder coupled ...

5806350290_4a6a5d18bb_b.jpg

Untitled by s4sargent, on Flickr

5806345948_c82d0844f8_b.jpg

5805778897_235da72b94_b.jpg

... Adriano Lolli - Home Page :)

... Luigi also has one of these adaptors and has posted some images he took using it ... but I cant find them.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

Hi

Any single coated lens will give a different signature from a similar multi coated lens, the CV 35mm and 40mm are available in SC and MC because so many people bought the early batches onf the 40mm in SC.

The contrast is reduced and the colors pastelled dependent on contra jour, sceane and hood or no hood.

Any older SC lens will also have off axis softening dependent on aperture.

If you have a digtal M the SC will hold on to highlights better cause of the compression...

Cause I am a 35mm person, I have a 40mm SC CV f1.4, 35mm SC (circa '70) preasph lux, 35mm SC Canon f/2 LTM type II, and multi coated 35mm CV f/2.5. If it is a senic on a tripod, I swap lenses as the sun moves between clouds. Scribbling notes on NB... I use the 12526 on the lux, to tame its signature, and elastic band in grouve - coded message for lux users.

Noel

P.S. I have a M cradle, on tripod and swap bodies