Interesting 1973 24 page brochure re: Leica System

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Despite all the M5's apparent virtues extensively extolled in the brochure, it has one over-riding drawback. Aesthetically it is, to coin a phrase "a dog's dinner". IMHO, of course!

It's funny that way with the M5. You either love it or hate it. i love it. Its the best metered M IMO, and I use mine about three times as much as I use my M7 or CL or my now departed M6.

As for the aesthetics, I've always loved the looks, especially in chrome. It helps that the M5 was "my first love" all those years ago.

I'd say it is my favorite M, but that's not really true: both the m2 and m4 are up there too, with maybe the M2 being the absolute best buy today because of its relatively inexpensive price to acquire...but then again, M5 prices have come WAY DOWN in the last few years, as have M4s, while M3s seem to have increased by maybe 50% in that time.

As a side note, I'm happy for Leica and the film world in general that people are buying new Leica film cameras: the MP and the MA. BUT....I never understood why someone would shell out $4500 when they could get mint m2, arguably a better built camera, certainly a more iconic one, for a fourth of that.:eek:

• Like 1

I think something's happening at your end, all I see and get is A Fascinating Look At the Leica M System, 1973 | Leicaphilia

After looking at it more closely, it's an advertising/affiliate/revenue redirect You do eventually arrive at the destination link above, but not before (nearly transparently) passing through api.viglink.com. Copy the link location from the original post and paste it somewhere (like a browser address or text file and you'll see it...the whole long thing.)

Whether it's a function of the Leicaphilia or L•Camera forum, I do not know. But my browser is set to alert the user of such things, which is why I noticed it in the first place.

I'm probably just being a wonk.

After looking at it more closely, it's an advertising/affiliate/revenue redirect You do eventually arrive at the destination link above, but not before (nearly transparently) passing through api.viglink.com. Copy the link location from the original post and paste it somewhere (like a browser address or text file and you'll see it...the whole long thing.)

Whether it's a function of the Leicaphilia or L•Camera forum, I do not know. But my browser is set to alert the user of such things, which is why I noticed it in the first place.

I'm probably just being a wonk.

It is NOT from my site. I make NO money from the Leicaphilia site and have no interest in doing so. If it has been attached somehow to my site, I'd like to find out WHO is doing it so I can stop it.

So, if you could use your wonkiness to help solve the problem (if in fact there is one) I would be greatly appreciative.

I appreciate your candor about it. It's the L•Camera forum itself, all external links apparently go through an API on vglink.com. These links are "hidden" so to speak as you only see the final destination. I don't know if it's for commercial purposes or for tracking/traffic metrics, but it's the L•Camera forum's owner(s) affair anyway.

Thanks for sharing the rich content you have on your Leicaphilia site!

It is NOT from my site. I make NO money from the Leicaphilia site and have no interest in doing so. If it has been attached somehow to my site, I'd like to find out WHO is doing it so I can stop it.

So, if you could use your wonkiness to help solve the problem (if in fact there is one) I would be greatly appreciative.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see the advertisement for the left-handed Leica:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Leica III | Leicaphilia

• 2 years later...

All those young people in the photos were my age, are now ..... nothing to do with the camera, but everything to do with a time and place and realizing 1973 was indeed a very very long time ago

Exactly what I was thinking, too.  It's like watching classic James Bond or Hammer Horror films, and admiring Britt Ekland and Madeline Smith - and realizing that they were only in their early twenties at that time, and now they are in their late 60's and 70's.  The models in those photos would be in a similar age bracket, assuming they are still alive.  How wonderful that photography enables us to immortalize time.