Long exposures

Ctom

Short answer, yes. I've done it several times but none of them with results good enough for me to be willing to post. This is no way a reflection on the quality of the camera. Most of it was due to my intent, to test the camera, and the amount of effort that I put into it, not much.

A couple of thigs that I noticed:

1) it is notably better than my Olympus E-M1

2) the distance scale makes it easier to set focus on infinity than on my E-M1 which doesn't give you any clue as to which way you're turning the manual focus or where you are. Panasonic has an uncalibrated scale but doesn't give you any idea of the depth of field or distance. I would have preferred a manual focus which is not free spinning and had limits like the new X but the T's focus by wire sadly has didn't do that even on the Summicron 23mm.

3) no tripod plate that I've found so far is scaled well for the T's body..

4) being able to specifically set the color temp is handy to set it such that the damn sodium vapor lights don't look quite so bad 2300K.

5) the E-M1's live bulb mode does save time in comparison to the T's more traditional bulb and long exposure modes which leads to a more iterative process. However this is a pretty small thing.

6) the T's noise actually looks quite attractive to my eye.

7) 6400 is about the highest ISO you can really get away with.

Currently the longest shutter speed on the T is 30 seconds, and it has no 'bulb' shutter.

However it's worth nothing for the really impressive star trail photos you would be best using exposure stacking anyway.

Hmm you're right. I didn't notice the lack of a B when I was playing since I was avoiding star trails using the rule of 400 and with the Summicron that ended up at being between 10-15s.

• 4 years later...
On 6/14/2019 at 11:26 PM, Carothersbs said:

Where in the settings do I set exposer for 30 seconds

• Set exposure to Manual mode.
  • Set shutter time to 30 seconds. 

There is a T setting as well, but the camera closes the shutter after thirty seconds regardless. 

Edited by ramarren

• 2 years later...

Just look at my response, #6, just above yours in the thread view.

Note: in the Customize Controls > Wheel Assignment menu, I have the left wheel assigned to shutter time control in Manual exposure mode.

What about that procedure isn't working for you?

G

1 hour ago, GBP1 said:

Further beginner's question re the CL. When Manual mode is set how do you control the shutter speed to get the longer exposure time e.g. 30 secs, mentioned above?