First pictures with Leica Dlux 109

I have both cameras now for comparison before choosing which one. To add to the debate, there appears to be a slight difference in color, even between RAW files. I've only taken a few quick snaps and there is nothing scientific here. The Panasonic filetype is RW2 and Leica is RWL. I may be imagining this, but I could swear there is a difference in lens coatings. I see it when I hold them up against a light source at an angle. Perhaps this explains the difference in colors, rather than image processing.

I can verify that Leica is "Made in Japan" and Panasonic is "Made in China" (printed on bottom of cameras). Here are some other differences, other than the obvious cosmetic (which the Leica looks much better IMHO):

Knurling on dials: Leica uses straight lines, Panasonic has waffle pattern. The Leica does not support AVCHD video and "Rec Format" option is missing on page 1/4 of Motion Picture. I'm not much into video, so I don't know how important this is. The Leica does not have "Menu Background" option on page 3/5 of Setup which gives choice of different colors. The Leica strap is different--it is fixed length and uses circular rings with leather protectors. Panasonic is adjustable and uses triangular rings which came attached to the camera. Both straps are "Made in China". Presentation boxing is very similar. The Leica box says "Audi Design". The batteries look identical, except for labels. Both are rated 7.2Vdc 1025mAh 7.4Wh. Leica spare costs $125, Panasonic spare costs $44. At present, iPhoto only supports RAW on the Panasonic, not the Leica. Lightroom supports both.

I'm not sure what else to add. I need to do some more comparison snaps before making a final choice, but I will probably end up with the Leica version primarily for the color rendering, but also for the more aesthetic, minimalist design, warranty and resale value. I will wait for the next version of Lightroom to use the free download. I really like this camera. It is the perfect replacement for my beloved 10-year old Digilux 2. There is so much right about it--the haptics, built-in EVF (are you listening Leica?), auto-focus speed, image quality, etc. It's hard to find fault.

• Like 12

I have both cameras now for comparison before choosing which one. To add to the debate, there appears to be a slight difference in color, even between RAW files. I've only taken a few quick snaps and there is nothing scientific here. The Panasonic filetype is RW2 and Leica is RWL. I may be imagining this, but I could swear there is a difference in lens coatings. I see it when I hold them up against a light source at an angle. Perhaps this explains the difference in colors, rather than image processing.

I can verify that Leica is "Made in Japan" and Panasonic is "Made in China" (printed on bottom of cameras). Here are some other differences, other than the obvious cosmetic (which the Leica looks much better IMHO):

Knurling on dials: Leica uses straight lines, Panasonic has waffle pattern. The Leica does not support AVCHD video and "Rec Format" option is missing on page 1/4 of Motion Picture. I'm not much into video, so I don't know how important this is. The Leica does not have "Menu Background" option on page 3/5 of Setup which gives choice of different colors. The Leica strap is different--it is fixed length and uses circular rings with leather protectors. Panasonic is adjustable and uses triangular rings which came attached to the camera. Both straps are "Made in China". Presentation boxing is very similar. The Leica box says "Audi Design". The batteries look identical, except for labels. Both are rated 7.2Vdc 1025mAh 7.4Wh. Leica spare costs $125, Panasonic spare costs $44. At present, iPhoto only supports RAW on the Panasonic, not the Leica. Lightroom supports both.

I'm not sure what else to add. I need to do some more comparison snaps before making a final choice, but I will probably end up with the Leica version primarily for the color rendering, but also for the more aesthetic, minimalist design, warranty and resale value. I will wait for the next version of Lightroom to use the free download. I really like this camera. It is the perfect replacement for my beloved 10-year old Digilux 2. There is so much right about it--the haptics, built-in EVF (are you listening Leica?), auto-focus speed, image quality, etc. It's hard to find fault.

Thank you, I am looking forward to more of your findings. You can download a free trial of Photo Ninja which should support both, and LR 5.7 I believe it is also does. Aperture and I guess iPhoto will only at this moment from what you wrote support the LX100. Thanks again

Edited by JRS11
  • Like 1

Hey Alain, really love the pictures. I know this comment is really random, but one of the persons in the picture (the old man with a mustache) has a small lesion next to his left eyelid, near the base of the nose. Don't know if you know the guy, but he should have that checked by a dermatologist, unless it's a scar.

There were a lot of questions regarding the iso (200 vs 100 or 80). Is there any difference between the pana and Leica?

I have both cameras (USA firmware v1.0). Here are the ISO settings:

Pana: Auto, 100 (extended), 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12800, 25600

Leica: Auto, 100 (extended), 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, 6400, 12500, 25000

The only difference is the last two.

• Like 2

I've taken a few more casual snaps with both cameras (nothing scientific) in both jpg and raw and now I tend to agree. Honestly, I do not see much difference (if any) between the two cameras. Certainly, nothing dramatic. I think the subtle difference I noticed earlier may just be production variation or me taking the snaps. I was really surprised because I was under the impression that Leica would have more "natural" jpg processing. It's been really dreary, rainy here, so I am waiting for this weekend (supposed to be sunny) to take some more snaps.

I've come to the conclusion that my choice really boils down to aesthetics /warranty/Lightroom/red dot. I have a Leica 10% off voucher from attending a workshop which will expire soon, so that makes it a $180 choice. For that reason I will probably get Leica, but I'm not sure I would make the same decision without the voucher. I will definitely be getting the Pana spare battery and petal lens cap--Leica's versions are just pure profit.

• Like 3

We had an unusual light snow this morning in Puget Sound and the sun came out in the afternoon. I took this series to show the subtle color shift I've noticed between the Leica and Pana. I know it's not the best example, nor scientific. I used a tripod and set manual to f5.6, 1/250, ISO Auto (250), Auto-focus, AWB. I'm sorry there was a slight shift in camera angle right/left. Everything is OOC direct to Lightroom with no PP. I had to resize in LR to max length 1024 for the forum attachments.

When I look at the sky, clouds and trees, I see the Pana shifts towards red and the Leica shifts toward blue. I'm far from being an expert in analyzing these things, so I am interested in what others think. I haven't figured out how to label photos on this forum, but here is the order:

Leica JPG (OOC)

Pana JPG (OOC)

Leica RAW (converted to JPG in LR)

Pana RAW (converted to JPG in LR)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Interesting thanks. I seem to perceive a bit more blue cast in the Leica pics due to slightly different fields of views and/or auto WB settings perhaps. Adjusting WB the same way reduces colour differences if any.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

To be honest. I can't perceive any difference. Have you seen any difference on skin tones? Thanks for the pictures by the way!

Interesting thanks. I seem to perceive a bit more blue cast in the Leica pics due to slightly different fields of views and/or auto WB settings perhaps. Adjusting WB the same way reduces colour differences if any.

drkrap and Ict, thank you for your analysis and comments.

I took more snaps today, including skin tones. I tried very hard to make all conditions identical. Although the difference between Leica and Pana is subtle, I see it clearly while flipping between snaps in slideshow mode.The best way I can describe it--Pana has more contrast and shifts toward red, Leica is smoother and shifts toward blue/gray. As I said, the difference is subtle, but I prefer the "Leica Look" especially in the skin tones--they are more natural and "film-like" to me. I understand this is all subjective--everyone sees colors differently and has their own opinion--I respect that.

I've made my decision and I'm keeping the Leica.

• 8 months later...