Anyone tried the Canon 50mm f1.2 on an M8

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have found to my surprise, that I really like the 67mm EFOV of little collapsible Elmar 50 f2.8 I got last month for the M8. However, as I take a lot of photos of local fairs and festivals at dusk, the f2.8 is a touch limiting. I am considering bidding for a Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM lens and getting one of JM's adapters. Has anyone tried this lens on an M8? Does anyone have any opinions good or bad on this lens? It would seem that the Canon lenses have exactly the same lens to film distance as LTM Leicas so that the adapter can be standard thickness. I would like to get a Nocti because I love the way it draws and its soft dreamy colours but unless the UK tax authorities cough up my tax rebate, that seems unlikely.

Wilson

Hi Wilson,

I think I can help you there!

I have both fast Canon's 50mm (f:1.2 and f:1.4) and borrowed a Noctilux to friend for a month now, to test it on my M8.

I'm quite disapointed with the Noctilux as it is much too big and heavy, the focus ring is too stiff and the image quality is... just a very little better compared to the Canon f:1.2 (that is a bit sharper at full aperture and more "contemporary" regarding color representation).

Ironically, I would say the f:1.2 Canon is exactly a "Half Noctilux" : half smaller, half shorter, half lighter and half less luminous (half full stop difference), all this for nearly the same style and image quality and... a huge money saving.

As regard to price versus quality, I think the Noctilux is a silly investment.

Moreover, as I am planning to rather invest in a 50mm Summilux, I could consider selling my Canon gears.

My f:1.2 Canon 50mm specimen is nearly pristine and also include its rare and expensive original vented hood which is brand new.

I live in Paris so if you are interested, don't hesitate to tell me.

Cheers

Christophe

• 1 year later...
Hi Wilson,

I think I can help you there!

I have both fast Canon's 50mm (f:1.2 and f:1.4) and borrowed a Noctilux to friend for a month now, to test it on my M8.

I'm quite disapointed with the Noctilux as it is much too big and heavy, the focus ring is too stiff and the image quality is... just a very little better compared to the Canon f:1.2 (that is a bit sharper at full aperture and more "contemporary" regarding color representation).

Ironically, I would say the f:1.2 Canon is exactly a "Half Noctilux" : half smaller, half shorter, half lighter and half less luminous (half full stop difference), all this for nearly the same style and image quality and... a huge money saving.

As regard to price versus quality, I think the Noctilux is a silly investment.

Moreover, as I am planning to rather invest in a 50mm Summilux, I could consider selling my Canon gears.

My f:1.2 Canon 50mm specimen is nearly pristine and also include its rare and expensive original vented hood which is brand new.

I live in Paris so if you are interested, don't hesitate to tell me.

Cheers

Christophe

Hi..I am just looking for a canon 0.95 or 1.2 50mm for my m3, ( the first one soo expensive these days ¡¡¡) if Wilson dosnt take a decision, please let me know the price, you are asking for...maybe I can afford it, instead my financial arent so good now :(.

Best regards...

Bob..

... I am considering bidding for a Canon 50mm f1.2 LTM lens and getting one of JM's adapters...

Wilson - Here :

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3

You will find this :

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2519

There are fantastic links in that thread, and there are other DPI threads on old lenses which might be of interest. Regarding the Milich adapter, I wonder how critical it is to code for 50 mm? I too considered the f1.2, but after lots of following from the thread above, I think that other fast lenses would suit me more.

.................. Chris

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilson - Here :

Leica (M and R) - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

You will find this :

Canon Leica Screw Mount lenses. - The GetDPI Workshop Forums

There are fantastic links in that thread, and there are other DPI threads on old lenses which might be of interest. Regarding the Milich adapter, I wonder how critical it is to code for 50 mm? I too considered the f1.2, but after lots of following from the thread above, I think that other fast lenses would suit me more.

.................. Chris

This is quite an old thread that seems to have got resurrected. Since then, I have had a Noctilux and sold it, as although I loved the results, my arthritic hands found it very difficult to hold and focus, being such a large diameter and quite short for its width. I then swapped it for a 50/1.4 ASPH Summilux but did not use it very much. I found the results from the Summilux a bit clinical, with almost an over-sharpened look - maybe it is just too good a lens. I have now swapped the Summilux for a MATE. Since I have been out in the far east for the last couple of weeks, with four lenses, a WATE, the MATE, a 35 ASPH Lux and a 90/2.8 Elmarit-M, I would guess that the MATE has been on my M8 90% of the time. It is the ultimate holiday lens. Depending on the pricing/specs of the R10, I will decide later whether to get an R10 plus lenses or a new Noctilux. I had a go of it at Photokina and with its slightly smaller diameter than the old Noctilux and longer length, my hands can manage it quite well.

Wilson

I have both the Noctilux and the Canon 1.2. The Canon stays on whatever camera I take with me at the moment. It's a great lens with very similar characteristics to the Nocti, though a little warmer in color and less razor-sharp in the focus field. Otherwise it's smaller and lighter, as you know, quicker and easier to swing the lens into focus, and not a stupid insurance claim if I drop it or someone steals it.

I would wholeheartedly recommend it, but I'm afraid the price for these under-appreciated non-Leica lenses is going to go the same way we've seen for the 'originals'.

Mani

I had the canon 50/1,2 EF, I used it on EOS 5d and Eos 5dmarkII, quite soft and I had focus problems, sometimes great images, often out of focus (on a tripod) I had also 35/1,4, 50/1,4, generally speaking good lenses if stopp down to 2 or 2,8, so to me it isn't worth... with leica glass you can shoot wide open without reservations

I had the canon 50/1,2 EF, I used it on EOS 5d and Eos 5dmarkII, quite soft and I had focus problems, sometimes great images, often out of focus (on a tripod) I had also 35/1,4, 50/1,4, generally speaking good lenses if stopp down to 2 or 2,8, so to me it isn't worth... with leica glass you can shoot wide open without reservations

The lens being talked about is the old Canon rangefinder lens, rather than the current EOS optic! :)

I understand the EF lens you mention does suffer from focus shift at wider apertures. This is discussed on the subscription section of Lloyd Chambers' blog, and its entirely possible you might be mistaking this for softness.

. Since I have been out in the far east for the last couple of weeks, with four lenses, a WATE, the MATE, a 35 ASPH Lux and a 90/2.8 Elmarit-M, I would guess that the MATE has been on my M8 90% of the time. It is the ultimate holiday lens.

Wilson

I'll be in Shanghai, Tokyo and Kyoto for 3 weeks in April and this is exactly the combination I plan to take along, except for the 90, which might be the 90/2 asph., although I very much like the way the 90/2.8 draws. These lenses, one M8 and a M8u + a small flash unit will complete the kit.

I have both the 1.2 and 1.0 Noctiluxes and agree that the 50/1.4 asph. is superb, however, draws very much more clinically than either of the Noctiluxes. Of course it all depends on personal tastes and the type of picture one tries to obtain.

Teddy

• 6 years later...

So....I bought the Canon 50mm 1.2 for my M8 too....I got so excited when I received the lens I just screw it into the Leica and went to try it. I was checking the lens earlier and I just notice those spots on the rear glass...I thought it was some dirt but it's actually inside the lens. It doesnt seems to affect the picture quality...the images looks good on small apertures....a bit soft at 1.2 (but hey, it's 1.2!). Just wondering if you guy know what it is? :S

egsbab.jpg

It looks like separation.

So....I bought the Canon 50mm 1.2 for my M8 too....I got so excited when I received the lens I just screw it into the Leica and went to try it. I was checking the lens earlier and I just notice those spots on the rear glass...I thought it was some dirt but it's actually inside the lens. It doesnt seems to affect the picture quality...the images looks good on small apertures....a bit soft at 1.2 (but hey, it's 1.2!). Just wondering if you guy know what it is? :S

egsbab.jpg

The lubricants on many of the later Canon lenses seeped onto the glass behind the aperture blades and had a caustic effect on them. It ranges from haze that can be cleaned, to coating damage, to etching the glass. It reduces contrast, and when the glass is etched: will reduce resolution.

On your lens: it looks like coating damage, someone tried to clean it. Return it if you paid a premium, anything over $350. These days- I use a 50/1.1 Nokton and sold the Canon 50/1.2. I have the 50/0.95 in Canon 7 mount, but prefer the 50/1.1 Nokton over having the 50/0.95 converted.