New version 90mm f4 (11670)

DMJ

I am considering buying the 'new' version of the 90mm f4 (would get the macro adaptor too). Has anyone on here used one of these on the M240 & what is you opinion?

Martin

I am using the new 90mm macro with m240.It is sharp center to corner from wide open but a little short in contrast even using with the hood.So i add some contrast at post process.I have 50mm apo and 24mm elmar on my set and both are contrasty lenses.Maybe i feel that way becouse of them.

Macro adapter is great but you will need evf also.

• Like 1

I bought the new 90 Elmar & Macro adapter in June, never having previously owned any 90mm lens, nor shot Macro. As a someone relatively new to photography and to Leica I thought this would 'complete' my lens collection beyond my 21 SEM/35 Cron/50 Lux/75 Cron, and to explore whether Macro photography might be an interest for me with the M240.

I was initially attracted to it's small size and it's big reputation as a 'Pocket Rocket' in its previous incarnation, and so I favoured it over other 90mm lenses for this reason. After several month's use I can honestly say it may in fact be my favourite lens. I actually do a lot of street photography with it, and I would says it renders 'crisply', rather than with the 'high contrast' look of my 50 & 75 - but this is actually quite pleasing, and sometimes makes a welcome change from the more 'clinical' Leica look. The collapsing lens design locks snugly in place when extended, it is very discrete, and often I find myself marvelling at it's output. I should say that I don't use it's largish hood at all when I'm in the street with it, and it is quite prone to flare as a consequence; however I'm happy to make this compromise in order to retain such a compact camera/lens combination - without the hood it really is tiny when collapsed on the camera, and so easy to just slip into a pocket and carry around as a secondary lens. I believe that the hood on the the previous version folded over the lens for storage, whereas this version does not; I do consider this a bit of a design flaw, although I understand the reasons why this is the case.

I haven't used it much for Macro due to time constraints, but I remember how amazed I was at the output I was getting when just fiddling around in the garden photographing bugs and flowers one sunny day; I even had the confidence to enter one of these 'test shots' in a local competition with very little post-processing; so good was the output 'straight out of the box' that with little experience I was delighted to get something halfway-decent so quickly.

I know the other current 90mm Leica lenses are highly regarded, but I'm very glad I made the choice I did. Perhaps if I didn't already own a 75 Cron the choice would have been a tad harder re. the 90 Cron, but that is still a big lens by comparison. I have few regrets buying the 90 Elmar, as I feel it complements my set-up perfectly. Initially I was concerned about the limitation of having only an 'f4' lens, but in practice this hasn't been an issue given the reasonable ISO performance of the M240.

I was surprised at how little mention is made of this miniature marvel on release, so I'm very glad to get a chance to "sing its praises" here. I hope these comments help you with your decision.

With Best Regards.

• Like 5

• 3 years later...

I use 24mm to 50 primarily, sometime 75mm. I really wanted a 90mm but had not seen this little lens until a few weeks ago. Wow, complete surprise. What a wonderful lens! Allows me to do some  close work (I have not gone for the adapter yet... may not) and 90mm, really light, small and sharp... what a gem. Don't know how I missed it, but this is a wonderful lens. JD

I did some time ago but i don't recall him referring to different optical versions. To me the optical design of 90/4 macro v1 and v2 is exactly the same (pic) but i may be wrong.  

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

His compendium and the listing above does not address the v2 90/4 macro ... only talks about updates from the 1973 version of the 90.

So no help there and your pictures look like identical elements.

Jono Slack notes that the only differences between the old and the new are:

• Firstly, the aperture ring is larger, and easier to hold.
  • Secondly, the lens clicks firmly into place both when extended and when retracted, finally,
  • with the new version, the aperture ring stays in the correct place when the lens is fully retracted.

https://ipameet.com/2014/07/29/the-leica-90mm-macro-elmar-and-the-macro-adapter-m-by-jono-slack/