Leica C Images - Post Them Here

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, leica dream said:

On balance I chose the C-Lux purely for size and portability because I found I was losing spontanaity with my bulky V-Lux.

Just in case you'd misunderstood, this thread is about the Leica C (Type 112), not the C-Lux. 🙂

Pete.

My fault absolutely, Pete - my camera is the C type 112 but I get confused continuously by the different titles between the C and C-Lux.  Following your helpful comment I have checked comparison sites and now understand that the two are really quite different.  My remarks stand for this terrific little camera even though I did the injustice of calling it the incorrect model.  Thank you for educating me and putting me right. Richard

• Thanks 1

Well, I picked up a C (Typ 112) off of Amazon in Dark Red with the box and all original accessories. I paid a little more than if I had bought a nice-looking Light Gold one off of eBay, but truth be told I wanted the Dark Red, and I do like having the box and stuff. Plus, if for whatever reason I decide it's not for me, Amazon returns are a piece of cake. I also found a new-old-stock C-Twist case for $10.00! So that was kind of a win. Wish I could find the matching Alcantara wrist strap, but that's probably hopeless. Same for the C-Snap case, which seems like more pocketable protection.

Anyway, yes, I realize this is a 9-year-old re-badged Panasonic with a crude EVF, but man is it tiny, and I think if the EVF is good enough for composing shots then it will be a great little camera to have in my pocket at all times.

• Like 5

Got my C in the mail today. I was really starting to have second thoughts about the low-res EVF and small sensor size (by today’s standards), wondering if I should’ve opted for an RX100 with 1” sensor, 20MP, and hi-res EVF. I’m happy to report that I’m actually pretty pleased with the EVF - maybe it helped to have low expectations - but I can totally foresee using the EVF exclusively for shooting. I remember first experiencing an EVF around 2003 or 2004 and it was so pixelated and laggy, I was afraid the C’s would be similar, but fortunately it’s much better. Sure, it’s not anywhere close to the exceptional EVF in my CL, and even a little more resolution and magnification would be most welcome, but for a camera the size of a deck of cards, it’s tough to complain. I also think the camera handles generally well and fairly intuitively once you set it up. It starts up and is ready to shoot right away and I appreciate that it remembers the EVF status, and that I don’t have to mess with a pop-up finder. The thinner profile versus the RX100 is a definite plus as well. I have yet to really evaluate the IQ, but I plan to do so ASAP. The RAW write speeds are a little slow, but I assume that’s because I’ve been using the internal memory and haven’t fished out a high-speed SD card yet. 

Edited by MJB
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, MJB said:

Got my C in the mail today.

Glad to hear it's arrived and you're okay with the EVF.

One tip from my experience that might come in handy is for the tiny thumbwheel to the left of the EVF to adjust the diopter.  I find that the act of retrieving the C from my front jeans pocket can dislodge the thumbwheel from where I'd set it.  Getting it back to where it should be means turning it while you look through the EVF and quite often my left thumb knuckle tries to poke my eyeball out.  What I've done to make it easy to put the thumbwheel back to where it should be - and to be able to instantly check that it's in the right place - is to adjust it and then put a dot of white correcting fluid (Tipp-ex, Tipex, Snopake, or whatever) on the thumbwheel itself so it's easy to see where it should be. 

Pete.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, farnz said:

One tip from my experience that might come in handy is for the tiny thumbwheel to the left of the EVF to adjust the diopter.  I find that the act of retrieving the C from my front jeans pocket can dislodge the thumbwheel from where I'd set it.  Getting it back to where it should be means turning it while you look through the EVF and quite often my left thumb knuckle tries to poke my eyeball out.  What I've done to make it easy to put the thumbwheel back to where it should be - and to be able to instantly check that it's in the right place - is to adjust it and then put a dot of white correcting fluid (Tipp-ex, Tipex, Snopake, or whatever) on the thumbwheel itself so it's easy to see where it should be. 

Pete.

I never thought of doing that!  thank you for the suggestion !

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Pete.

Good idea! I have to admit to being disappointed with the EVF for the first half-second or so when I got the camera out of the box, until I remembered the diopter wheel was there. 

• Like 1

So still figuring out the camera, but I have been a little disappointed with some images being a little softer than I find acceptable. I’ve noticed that this usually is a result of a low shutter speed, like 1/5, which the OIS can’t really compensate for. The camera seems to prioritize decreasing shutter speed over increasing ISO.  I see that there is a minimum shutter speed setting, but it is greyed out except in Program mode. I’d like to shooting aperture priority and auto ISO, and set both a maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed, but this doesn’t seem possible, unless I’m missing something? I suppose one workaround would be to switch to shutter priority in lower light situations, but it’s not ideal. 

5 hours ago, MJB said:

So still figuring out the camera, but I have been a little disappointed with some images being a little softer than I find acceptable. I’ve noticed that this usually is a result of a low shutter speed, like 1/5, which the OIS can’t really compensate for. The camera seems to prioritize decreasing shutter speed over increasing ISO.  I see that there is a minimum shutter speed setting, but it is greyed out except in Program mode. I’d like to shooting aperture priority and auto ISO, and set both a maximum ISO and minimum shutter speed, but this doesn’t seem possible, unless I’m missing something? I suppose one workaround would be to switch to shutter priority in lower light situations, but it’s not ideal. 

I haven't noticed what you mention but it's pushing the C to the edge of its performance envelope and I rarely do this because I have other options that will work better under those conditions.

This is a picture thread and your initial query has hijacked the thread so could I politely request that you very kindly open a new thread to find answers queries about the C's handling and performance please?

Back to pictures. 🙂

The female French singer Zaz in a concert at the Royal Albert Hall.  She started the concert by standing up suddenly from a seat in the stalls and surprising and delighting those around her.

Pete.

200 mm, 1/30th, f/8, ISO 3200, no OIS (because I'd forgotten that the C has it!).  The picture's not going to win any prizes and an enlarged print is unlikely to go well but it captured a memorable moment for me and that's as much as I wanted.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6

6 hours ago, farnz said:

This is a picture thread and your initial query has hijacked the thread so could I politely request that you very kindly open a new thread to find answers queries about the C's handling and performance please?

Of course - sorry to be "that guy!"

• Haha 1

Here's one from yesterday evening...

• Like 8

Busy cafe

LF1.

• Like 7

I'm not accustomed to shooting at telephoto lengths very often, usually favoring a set of relatively fast primes maxing out around portrait length (i.e., 75-85mm). So, the increased reach of the C wasn't in fact a selling point for me, and I would've preferred an identical camera with a faster lens and less zoom range. However, I decided to dabble a little bit at at 200mm and see what I could come up with. Now, I am not a wildlife photographer by any stretch of the imagination, and I'm not bragging about the composition or technical qualities of this photo, but below is an example of an image I just could not have captured with my CL (as currently equipped). Just required a little prefocus and a lot of patience, lol. Pretty neat.

I'm also enjoying the 4:3 native aspect ratio of the sensor, just as a change from the 3:2 I'm more familiar with. Image is very slightly cropped to correct for horizon, but is otherwise framed as shot.

Edited by MJB
  • Like 6

Took a short hike after dinner yesterday and brought the little C along.

• Like 7

New Sakura after several rainy days

LF1.

• Like 8

Went out to dinner last night.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Pushing the OIS at 1/10s, so a little softer than I would've liked, but kind of a fun image nonetheless.

• Like 7

It will be evident from the number of thread contributions attributed to my ID that I am no stranger to the forum, although I think the number of original contributions are somewhat minimal. Most days I sign in and seek inspiration from wonderful images which others submit , but sadly I suppose poor creative and technical ability coupled with self confidence hold me back from sharing images of my own. 

Well, this year I made a decision that when I take my Labrador Sam for his long walk every day I would carry my little C-Lux with me always to capture what would be probably inconsequential images of observations along the way.  Then, for better or worse, I would try to share results on the forum to get maybe positive or negative comments. Circumstances dictate that I cannot stop for lengthy composition or technical settings so everything is shot hand held on PROGRAM setting. Perhaps I adjust a little if needed when I get images home. 

Anyway, here goes. What better way to begin occasional postings than to introduce the reason for walking in the first place........my trusty SAM.

I hope the image post OK.

• Like 11

What a good idea Leica Dream, well for those with a dog anyway. Perhaps Sam should join in and wear a camera on his collar. I stop short of suggesting that a new thread should be started for Leica pictures taken by dogs 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Busy, Busy Bees just awaiting the Spring flowers.

• Like 3