Leica C Images - Post Them Here

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With my beloved family I spent a few days at the Lake Duemmer in Northern Germany. I only used my Leica C and I find, that this is a superb camera. The combination of larger sensor, great apperture (f2), wonderful zoom and camera size make this camera a great traveller tool. I think, Leica never ever had such a great small camera again.

Photo taken with Leica C (f/3,5 1/640 ISO 200)

The Lake Duemmer is a very shallow lake. Its depth is only 1.4 meters. A few days before I visited the lake, two powerful storms did a lot of damage to houses and restaurants.

Leica C (ISO 200, 1/250, f/3,5)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I took this photo, all I saw was a nice big cloud in a blue sky. Later I noticed that the cloud looked like an Ichthyosaurus.

Leica C (ISO 80, f/4,4 1/1000)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is the EVF on the C? I'm looking for a pocketable point-and-shoot as a backup for my CL. Requirements include easy carriage in a front pants pocket, good low-light performance, and a usable EVF. I'm looking at the Sony RX100 series as it seems to fit the bill, but I would also kind of like to just stay within the Leica ecosystem. I've owned several more capable (in terms of specs)  pocket cameras recently, such as the Fujifilm X70 and XF10, and while I was able to get good results from both, in the end I just hate composing a shot via the LCD screen. If I can't put a camera up to my eye and shoot, well, it just doesn't feel like a real camera to me. Thoughts?

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, MJB said:

How is the EVF on the C? I'm looking for a pocketable point-and-shoot as a backup for my CL. Requirements include easy carriage in a front pants pocket, good low-light performance, and a usable EVF. I'm looking at the Sony RX100 series as it seems to fit the bill, but I would also kind of like to just stay within the Leica ecosystem. I've owned several more capable (in terms of specs)  pocket cameras recently, such as the Fujifilm X70 and XF10, and while I was able to get good results from both, in the end I just hate composing a shot via the LCD screen. If I can't put a camera up to my eye and shoot, well, it just doesn't feel like a real camera to me. Thoughts?

Leica C is a 'badge engineered' Panasonic LF1 ... both purport to have a Leica lens but  the 'Leica badged' lens is made by Panasonic and likely designed by Panasonic. Cameras are identical. Both are capable cameras but fragile. My Leica C's body was rebuilt / replaced by Leica Mayfair under warranty ... and within 12 months started to split again ... I subsequently sold it after reinforcing the cracks with adhesive tape. The EVF is tiny and does function as a composition aid ... but it's too small and the monitor is much better for composition. Apart from its fragility it's a decent digital compact and capable of good results ... several of my Leica C pix were published. I liked the camera's pocketability ... its fragility is its downfall / weakness ... but might be OK of kept in a padded case. All small sensor  Leica digital compacts are badge engineered Panasonics. They are good sellers but their DNA is Panasonic. If you require a Leica as a CL back-up  ... get yourself another CL ... there are no pocketable Leica compacts made by Leica ... unless you have large pockets and can afford a Leica Q 

Th RX100 series have 1" sensors (2.7x crop factor) ... some Leica Digital compacts also have 1" sensors ... but they are badge engineered Panasonics. The Leica D Lux 7 compact has a M4/3 sensor (2x (ish*) crop factor) which will out perform a 1" sensor. You should consider studying the specifications of all Leica digital compacts ... but bear in mind that with the exception of the FF compact Q2 they are all badge engineered Panasonics.  

*ish because it's a slightly undersize M4/3 sensor 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire

There's no denying that the C's EVF is crude and won't stack up agaisnt your CL but having said that I think it certainly qualifies as "usable" just don't expect too much from it.  I happily use it instead of shooting off the LCD.

It fits in the front pants pocket ok just remember to check the Mode dial on the top plate before shooting as my front pants pocket enjoys randomising where it's set to as it emerges into the light. 

The 28 to 200 mm zoom is what sold me on it in the end. In brief I'd describe it as a fun and very capable little camera that punches way above its weight if that helps?

Pete.

Thanks for the replies. I do understand that the Leica compacts are in fact badge-engineered Panasonics, and I'm okay with that (in the past I have owned a C-Lux 1 and D-Lux 4). What I find appealing about the C is that it appears to be a truly pocketable camera in the sense that I think I could carry it even in a front trouser pocket without issue. The reasonably fast lens is a plus and the EVF seems like it would allow is to be handled as a camera ought to be. I obviously don't expect the EVF to be on par with the CL's, but if it allows me to frame a shot without holding the camera at arm's length like a smartphone, I'm happy. I'm impressed with the specs of both the D-Lux (Typ 109) as well as the D-Lux 7, but neither camera is small enough versus the CL to really justify. I've also thought about the newer C-Lux, but I don't really like that the lens is slower than the C, plus I'm sure I could pick up a C for much cheaper. I love my CL and am in no way looking to replace  it, but there are times when I might want to carry something more discreetly, and I prefer a purpose-built camera to using my smartphone.

1 hour ago, MJB said:

Thanks for the replies. I do understand that the Leica compacts are in fact badge-engineered Panasonics, and I'm okay with that (in the past I have owned a C-Lux 1 and D-Lux 4). What I find appealing about the C is that it appears to be a truly pocketable camera in the sense that I think I could carry it even in a front trouser pocket without issue. The reasonably fast lens is a plus and the EVF seems like it would allow is to be handled as a camera ought to be. I obviously don't expect the EVF to be on par with the CL's, but if it allows me to frame a shot without holding the camera at arm's length like a smartphone, I'm happy. I'm impressed with the specs of both the D-Lux (Typ 109) as well as the D-Lux 7, but neither camera is small enough versus the CL to really justify. I've also thought about the newer C-Lux, but I don't really like that the lens is slower than the C, plus I'm sure I could pick up a C for much cheaper. I love my CL and am in no way looking to replace  it, but there are times when I might want to carry something more discreetly, and I prefer a purpose-built camera to using my smartphone.

I own the C-Lux1/ C/ I have owned dlux4 and various other leica's digital analogue :

As  Pete (@farnz)  mentioned above the C's  EVF is crude.

The IQ is truly impressive.  You can see some excellent examples in this thread. My last international trip before the pandemic was to Paris and the C was only camera I took (I left the Q/and analogue cameras at home).. I was happy with the images I took (one or two are on my walls) .

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, prk60091 said:

I own the C-Lux1/ C/ I have owned dlux4 and various other leica's digital analogue :

As  Pete (@farnz)  mentioned above the C's  EVF is crude.

The IQ is truly impressive.  You can see some excellent examples in this thread. My last international trip before the pandemic was to Paris and the C was only camera I took (I left the Q/and analogue cameras at home).. I was happy with the images I took (one or two are on my walls) .

Well, RE: the EVF, crude is one thing, but is it usable? I obviously don't expect bleeding-edge tech, but I would like to primarily compose my images with the viewfinder, relying on the LCD mainly for menu navigation. Is this a realistic expectation?

Edited by MJB

1 hour ago, MJB said:

Well, RE: the EVF, crude is one thing, but is it usable? I obviously don't expect bleeding-edge tech, but I would like to primarily compose my images with the viewfinder, relying on the LCD mainly for menu navigation. Is this a realistic expectation?

absolutely usable to compose images

good luck finding a good specimen

1 hour ago, prk60091 said:

absolutely usable to compose images

good luck finding a good specimen

Thanks. KEH had two this afternoon in dark red - one "bargain" and one either "excellent" or "excellent plus," but of course it sold in the time I was considering it! I do think that KEH grades conservatively, so a bargain piece is probably okay, but probably better to hold off for something nicer.

6 hours ago, MJB said:

Without wishing to labour the point, I use it so, yes, it's usable.  Whether the quality of the EVF image is sufficient becomes a matter matter for the photographer and I regret that the only way to determine that is to try it out yourself. 🙂

In terms of comparison, the C's EVF is far better than the Digilux 2's EVF but I took plenty of pictures with that.  It's also far better than the viewfinders in the cheap point-and-shoot film cameras from the last millennium.  On the other hand it won't come close to the quality of the SL2, CL, or Q2's EVF's but I doubt that anyone's expecting it to.

Pete.

I have only one usable eye and rely on the EVF on my C-Lux because I find the screen too reflective. Anyway, I believe that using the screen for shots will never achieve a "shakeproof" image whereas EVF forces tighter control of the camera.  When I purchased it originally I compared it with a D-Lux and , for me, the D-Lux EVF was superior. On balance I chose the C-Lux purely for size and portability because I found I was losing spontanaity with my bulky V-Lux.  I have adjusted to the  EVF on my C-Lux, but it is small and restricted to composition - I fix stuff in post processing. The C-Lux is thoroughly portable and now always with me either in my pocket or in a small case attached to my waist belt when travelling.