Leica C Images - Post Them Here

Coping with reds...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

not very well  ;)

Keith -

Many digital camera sensors bloom on reds, washing out details.  I suggest backing off a bit with the saturation control to reclaim detail.

Maybe it is the compression involved in the upload process etc, but the red channel in the histogram does not look to be particularly overdone. 

The reds would probably be easier to tame (if that's what you want) in LAB colour space in PS.

For those who might not be familiar with LAB, LAB (=L-A-B: one luminance channel and two contrasting colour channels) will allow you to alter the colour information without also altering the brightness, which is what happens in RGB colour space where the picture's luminance (brightness) is split equally one third to one third to one third across the red, green and blue channels.

So, say, increasing the reds in RGB will also increase the brightness but increasing or decreasing them in LAB will have no effect on the brightness because it's contained in a separate channel.

Pete.

Edited by farnz
  • Like 3

Thanks Pete. I had a dabble in LAB mode (PS CC) but my only PS book is Scott Kelby's tome for CS4 - which was not a lot of use!  Anyway, whatever it was I did, the reds now look somewhat improved.

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 3

Thanks Pete. I had a dabble in LAB mode (PS CC) but my only PS book is Scott Kelby's tome for CS4 - which was not a lot of use!  Anyway, whatever it was I did, the reds now look somewhat improved.

You're welcome, Keith.  I have Scott Kelby's 7-Point System, which has proved invaluable to me over the years and allowed me to find my way to the heart of Photoshop and understand what I needed to do to create a particular effect.  For a long time, like many other I suspect, I could only blunder around not knowing what I was doing and following rituals that I'd stumbled upon that seemed to work the last time. :D

For LAB I thoroughly recommend 'The Canyon Conundrum and Other Adventures in the Most Powerful Colorspace' by Dan Margulis.  It needs a little perseverance but it pays you back manyfold since it explains how many things are better done in LAB than RGB apart from simply colour work such as sharpening, noise reduction, selections, colour balancing, and contrast management.

Pete.

• Like 1

Flies of some kind on the lower twigs of mistletoe. Does anyone know what they are?

(Leica C) 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

From a bike ride along Lake Memphremagog in northern Vermont today.  Leica C, RAW file processed in Lightroom Classic.

. . . David

Edited by burkey
  • Like 6

Waiting...

LF1, C's Japanese twin brother.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

i had a scare w/my C.

I was away and put my C in my back pocket during dinner.... long story short-- i cracked the LCD.

Thanks to Youtube and Google I was able to find many replacement LCD's on that large online auction site for the sister camera LF1... and several videos on how to take apart the back to replace the LCD  (very easy and very fast less than ½ hour from start to finish)... so for less than 70USD I repaired the C myself.

Normally i would send it to Leica- but i did not want to wait the usual 3 months for the return.

the same videos show how to clean the sensor... does not look appreciably harder than replacing the LCD....

Just letting the c112 community know that a broken LCD does not mean the end of the camera...... 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

From a very large tomato plant my wife grew on our porch this summer.

'Still finding my way around the "C".  There are more nooks and crannies to the Leica C than I thought when I first started making images with it.  (Things that might warrant a discussion thread.). From a JPEG processed in Lightroom "Classic".

. . . David

Edited by burkey
  • Like 4

Black-eyed Susans with the cliffs of Willoughby in northeastern Vermont in the background.  Leica "C", from a JPEG processed Lightroom "Classic".

. . . David

Edited by burkey
  • Like 5