I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, Garantenstellung said:

Are you sure the current M-A productions don't already have the same leatherette as the M6 reissue? On the official Leica website the product photos of both cameras show the same type of leatherette in my opinion. 

Pretty positive, but not 100% sure.

I can certainly say that the new MP leatherette looks different from the one on the current M-As. 

Owning myself a silver chrome M-A and the leatherette is definitely more flat compared to the coarse one on the new MPs.

Given Leicas philosophy regarding parts that can be interchanged, it would seem that all 3 film cameras would now have same leatherettes… as material supply demands more uniformity. 

Looking at my MA…. Not sure where / what I would a-la-carte. I love the black chrome… whatever color on the camera is fine. It really is a blank slate to begin with… perhaps that alone is what I enjoy. 

• Like 1

M-A with 35mm 1.5

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 18

On 1/3/2023 at 4:11 PM, junix said:

Welcome to the Forum!

If you want something that looks a bit nicer(IMHO) on a Chrome M-A check this light meter (https://hedeco.de) :

Thanks alot for your recommendation. I liked its slim and sleek design but was sold out when you posted this.  

When I was made aware of a recent introduction of a revised model, I made plunge and bought it.  Can't wait to actually try it when it arrives.  I was skeptical when you first informed me mostly because I already had one meter, and thought I wouldn't need another one... But I eventually got tired of how easy the voigtlander meter dial & iso dial could accidentally turn....

Anyhow, thanks for a great recommendation.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I too love my M-A.  Well I love both.  Bought the chrome one used a year ago and the black one new four month later.

Traveled for a month in the Peruvian desert and beaches with delta 100 in the black and porter 160 in the chrome one.

As you can see I like brass lenses.  

• Like 13

• Like 11

12 hours ago, lekitr said:

I too love my M-A.  Well I love both.  Bought the chrome one used a year ago and the black one new four month later.

Traveled for a month in the Peruvian desert and beaches with delta 100 in the black and porter 160 in the chrome one.

As you can see I like brass lenses.  

Good for you....to me, this is a great camera to travel with. Pure Leica.... can't get any better than a MA, but one can go 'down'... 🙂

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

3 years now. Getting more attached every time I use it. paired with an M2 last month.

• Like 11

My M-A was bought new in Wetzlar in October 2019 (I believe production is from early 2019, or late 2018).Absolutely flawless, works perfectly, super smooth operation.

I think I actually enjoy using it more than my MP.

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, hdmesa said:

The lab scans I have gotten up to this point have been 1990s-level quality, which makes sense given that even current pro scanners are based on some pretty old tech. The color I get back from them is also off-putting. I got 1000x better color in the prints from literally any mini-lab back in the film days – not this expired slide film look that is all the rage today.

I'm at the teetering point right now of just selling my film M cameras and sticking with digital or having to invest in something like the Negative Supply gear and a macro lens like the Sigma 70 Art for my SL2-S to capture/scan them myself.

I have been reading through this lengthy thread as I await delivery of my M-A from Leica SF. 😊 

Apologies if this is covered further on, but Valoi is in the funding stage for a new neg scanning solution that looks great. I contributed and look forward to trying with my SL2-S and Sigma 70 Macro (acquired for this purpose). 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/valoi-easy35-home-scanning-made-easy/x/33075759#/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, goldenbear said:

I have been reading through this lengthy thread as I await delivery of my M-A from Leica SF. 😊 

Congratulations.  I bought my M-A from Leica Store SF in 2017 and have been enjoying it immensely since day one. You're going to love it.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

While my new 2022 M6 rocks , my M-A is still beautiful!

• Like 9

On 1/26/2023 at 7:35 AM, Emtsoh said:

Pretty positive, but not 100% sure.

I can certainly say that the new MP leatherette looks different from the one on the current M-As. 

Owning myself a silver chrome M-A and the leatherette is definitely more flat compared to the coarse one on the new MPs.

New M6 vs M-A.  You can see the leatherette is different.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Huss said:

New M6 vs M-A.  You can see the leatherette is different.

My M-A and M6 have the same leatherette as your M6.  The M-A was purchased early last year, and M6 this April, so perhaps all the latest bodies share the same leatherette?

3 hours ago, jpark114 said:

My M-A and M6 have the same leatherette as your M6.  The M-A was purchased early last year, and M6 this April, so perhaps all the latest bodies share the same leatherette?

Black chrome and silver chrome M-A have different leatherette if I recall correctly.

• Like 2