I love my M-A

The black on the MP is really no different than the black on the M7 or M6. The different finish on the MA, therefore, is distinguishable. No Leica film camera has it.

Just curious.... I haven't seen the M-A in person but isn't it the same black chrome over brass as the black chrome M4, the current a la carte MP and M7 (but without any top plate engraving), and the MM. The MM, M-A, a la carte MP/M7, and black chrome M4 look the same to me (see below the black chrome M4 and the new M-A.)

fwiw, the M6 had a zinc top plate and was black chrome (not paint.) Although they did make some black paint M6TTL versions (Millennium and the LHSA) and which had brass top plates. The current MP and M7 can be ordered a la carte in black chrome, black paint, or silver chrome, and it appears that the MM, MP, M7 and the M-A are the same black chrome(?) At least to me they do. Or is the MM and M-A some sort of completely new black chrome over brass?

Anyway, I'm guessing if the M-A sells well that they might add a la carte versions eventually. :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Not totally sure as I am not an expert on all of he finishes on all of the black film Ms. I can confirm that it is the exact same finish as the MM, and a vry different finish than the basic black MP. It also appears as though the black M4 in your photo is not as matte of a finish as the MA/MM.

• Like 1

Not totally sure as I am not an expert on all of he finishes on all of the black film Ms. I can confirm that it is the exact same finish as the MM, and a vry different finish than the basic black MP. It also appears as though the black M4 in your photo is not as matte of a finish as the MA/MM.

The off the shelf MP is black paint. But it can be ordered in black chrome as can all the current Leica film cameras. Checking the Leica website tells me that the MM, the M-A, and the a la carte choices of the MP and M7 are all the same black chrome anodized brass top plates. And the same that was once available with the M4 (which also had a black paint option, too of course; the black chrome M4 was very matte looking and that particular pic I posted only makes it look somewhat shiny and it has some wear to it...)

I'd like to see the M-A in person.... but not really as I can't afford it... :(

• Like 2

CalArts - while everything you say is correct, I want to go back to my "special" remark about the black finish of the M-A. Other film bodies may come (or have come) in this particular finish. But what makes the M-A "special" is the absence of any engraving or Leica dots. The completely brand-neutral aspect of the camera (other than a small engraving in the hot shoe does, I'm pretty sure, only exist with the Monochrom.

The opposite of a big deal, but still "special" nonetheless in my book, FWIW.

• Like 1

Both you guys are correct. Leica designed the M-A to be the film version of the MM. At some point, I would imagine Leica offering special engravings etc for the M-A. Why not? It is page 1 of their marketing handbook chapter on extended brand life.

CalArts99 -- You can always drive over to the Leica store LA (free parking next door) and have a looksee. There is a black one their they have posted on instragram,

Just got my first roll back and the shots came out better than with my M4 and sharper. Since these are only light-tight boxes in reality, I suspect my M4 may have been a little off in speed and focus (or perhaps I can focus better with the brigther viewfinder).

One interesting sidepoint, to me at least, with the M4 you can set the speed in between the standard markings with the M-A you cannot. Not sure if this is new or something that was changed with the M6 but I did like the idea of being able to shoot between 1/125 and 1/250.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I suspect that many old film Ms do the job but, due to their age, may be off kilter, even slightly, which may not show up clearly in photos standing alone. My understanding is that many Leica technicians (incl Youxin Ye) test the rangefinder accuracy by simply confirming infinity focus. Leica USA has a large contraption that can test rangefinder accuracy at all focusing distances. My old film bodies have never been to Leica for servicing, so my guess is that they are not as precise as they could be.

One complaint I have about the M-A is that Leica did not put back the self timer mechanism in connection with taking out the light meter mechanism. I find this to be a very helpful and useful feature, and am disappointed that Leica didn't make the effort to restore this. Seems to me that the newer film bodies don't have this feature b/c the location of the self-timer is where the light meter mechanism is located. But since the M-A has no light meter, and has gone back to basics even as it relates to the film M3 rewind knob (which in a way makes it a hybrid of an M3 and M4), I wish Leica would have gone all the way and reinstituted the self-timer. Even my IIIg has a self-timer!!

WTF, Leica!!!??

• Like 1

I suspect that many old film Ms do the job but, due to their age, may be off kilter, even slightly, which may not show up clearly in photos standing alone. My understanding is that many Leica technicians (incl Youxin Ye) test the rangefinder accuracy by simply confirming infinity focus. Leica USA has a large contraption that can test rangefinder accuracy at all focusing distances. My old film bodies have never been to Leica for servicing, so my guess is that they are not as precise as they could be.

One complaint I have about the M-A is that Leica did not put back the self timer mechanism in connection with taking out the light meter mechanism. I find this to be a very helpful and useful feature, and am disappointed that Leica didn't make the effort to restore this. Seems to me that the newer film bodies don't have this feature b/c the location of the self-timer is where the light meter mechanism is located. But since the M-A has no light meter, and has gone back to basics even as it relates to the film M3 rewind knob (which in a way makes it a hybrid of an M3 and M4), I wish Leica would have gone all the way and reinstituted the self-timer. Even my IIIg has a self-timer!!

WTF, Leica!!!??

You may want to try the combination ADVOO + OZTNO. I use this as a self-timer alternative on my self-timer-less M2.

• Like 1

very interesting, Al.

This could come in handy for landscapes and motion shots.

But this website says that the devices don't work on the MP Leitz shutter adaptor OZTNO 14088

:(

Sorry, misunderstanding.

No, the APDOO + OZTNO combo won't work on the MP (or, presumably, the M5 and later = all Leica metered cameras) because the shutter-button detent (used for metering) interferes with the ADVOO + OZTNO releasing the shutter. But presumably it will work on the M-A, which I assume has no detent.

What's wrong with a bog standard cable release?

Nothing wrong, except the cable is useless without a tripod, or at least a surface to rest the camera, whereas hand-held the self-timer releases the shutter without your finger jerking the camera.

CalArts - while everything you say is correct, I want to go back to my "special" remark about the black finish of the M-A. Other film bodies may come (or have come) in this particular finish. But what makes the M-A "special" is the absence of any engraving or Leica dots. The completely brand-neutral aspect of the camera (other than a small engraving in the hot shoe does, I'm pretty sure, only exist with the Monochrom.

The opposite of a big deal, but still "special" nonetheless in my book, FWIW.

fwiw, one can order either the M7 or the MP in black chrome and without any engraving and no red dot. The serial number and model id is moved to the hot shoe. They will then also become "completely brand-neutral" (and with only the hot shoe engraving.) On the a la carte configurator website (Leica) Leica describes that option as: "100% clean 0% obtrusive. The professional's choice." If you order an a la carte MP, you can make it look exactly like the MM or the M-A (except that the MP has the battery cover port on the front.) The M7 for whatever reason can't be ordered with the M3 style rewind, only the angled lever crank style. They did eliminate the silver top and bottom frame lines on the exterior rangefinder window with the M-A (not sure why, anybody know? They did that with the digital Leica M Edition 'Leica 60' too.)

Anyway, it doesn't matter as the M-A, the MM, and the a la carte MP and M7 are each truly different cameras despite cosmetic appearances. And again, I'm guessing there will be an a la carte option eventually with the M-A. After all, these cameras share from the identical and already existing parts bins. Leica is doing some smart recycling.

CalArts99 -- You can always drive over to the Leica store LA (free parking next door) and have a looksee.

Maybe some day. But right now it would be like a poor kid with no money looking in the window of a toy store. :)

• Like 3

wow, you got me on that one. I had no idea there were so many configuration options. I browsing the site I felt like I was shopping for a Dell computer!

It does appear, though, that the "unobstructed" option on the MP involves a silver chrome hot shoe rather than black :cool:

wow, you got me on that one. I had no idea there were so many configuration options. I browsing the site I felt like I was shopping for a Dell computer!

It does appear, though, that the "unobstructed" option on the MP involves a silver chrome hot shoe rather than black :cool:

Actually you can order it black if you ask. You can also get a black frame number indicator (black with white lettering.) Leica will do pretty much anything they have the parts for and if your wallet is big enough. :)

apparently, they can also take the light meter out if you ask :D

LOL :p

btw, here's a black paint a la carte MP with black hot shoe and black frame counter (http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2193788&postcount=3)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 7