I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes. But not on the black-chrome Leica M-A. Unlike the silver-chrome M-A, the black one has no inscriptions on the top plate at all–no "Leica" script, no "LEICA CAMERA WETZLAR GERMANY", and no serial number. Instead, it's got the serial number engraved on the accessory shoe.

That's one of the (minor) differences between black and silver M-A. Another is the design of the heads of the frame-selection lever and the rewind-unlock lever.

You are right,

I'm confused.

Now that you pointed it out, I wonder why I find that black chrome M-A is the "blackest" of my Ms.

(I use the two colors M-A):

See post #275 and #276, here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/236926-i-love-my-m-a/page-14

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just wondering is the Leica M-A and MP has the same size as M2 or slightly bigger?

All Ms have slightly thicker (deeper) body depth following the M4.

See here:

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/Main_Page#Film_M

M2, M3, M4 = 33.5 mm

M6, M7, MP, M-A = 38 mm

Edited by Antonio Russell

Leica causes a lot of confusion by their measurements. Sometimes they include all protrusions from the body like buttons and wheels and sometimes not. 

Looking at the "official" figures given by Leica the M8/M9 should be thinner (37mm) than the MP/M-A (38mm)...

Yes, I am afraid that the "official" figures given by Leica are usually way out.

Yes, I think the most pertinent measurements are the height, top plate width and base plate width. Leaving aside the M5 and CL (which are obviously different), as far as I know all M film cameras are essentially the same size other than the M6TTL and M7, which have 2mm more height.

Does the M-A rear film plate have the perforated appearance of the later MPs? I believe this helps with film flatness... ?

The Leica M-A's film pressure plate is smooth, no perforations or dimples ... with the exception of the four countersunk screw holes near the plate's corners where it's fixed to the back flap.

All M models have slightly thicker (deeper) body depth following the M4. [...] M6, M7, MP, M-A = 38 mm

That's nonsense. The depth of the body shells always is 33.5 mm. So is the M10's, by the way.

I guess the various numbers, like 36 mm or 38 mm, come when people mindlessly include parts like frame-selection lever and eye-piece rim into the measurement of the body depth. These parts stick out from the shell by a millimeter or two. And in the Leica M10, it's the bayonet flange and the rear display which stick out a little from the actual shell.

• Like 3

Perhaps different models for different markets. Mine was purchased from Leica in Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's possible but I'd be surprised if there was that kind of variation for a product with such a short production run (so far). Just to clarify, does your's have the serial number on the body or the hotshoe?