I love my M-A

Here is a picture of the iso dial of my MP, where we can see that the central part is in metal (relative to the outer circle in plastic).

I said a mistake ... I hit this part of the iso dial with a needle … and finally, it is plastic.

Well, I do not love my MP least so far … (and I think that,maybe, it is justified for reasons of electrical insulation…)

Sorry if i wasnt clear. I am seeking to know whether the warranty that comes with the camera purchased in the US will have a 3-yr passport warranty (which covers accidents). Whatever my amex may tack onto this is a separate issue.

Sorry if i wasnt clear. I am seeking to know whether the warranty that comes with the camera purchased in the US will have a 3-yr passport warranty (which covers accidents). Whatever my amex may tack onto this is a separate issue.

A simple call to Leica in NJ should clear that up straight away. I believe Passport is from Leica USA and not from 'Leica Wetzlar for the US market'.

s-a

Does anyone know if the M-A sold in the US will have a 3 yr passport warranty?

The product listing on B&H says is has a "Limited 3-Year Warranty". Not sure if that means passport or not. B&H may not be describing it accurately.

I think it's strange that the M-A comes with a 3 year warranty but the MP comes with a 5 year warranty.

If it is built as good as the M4, the warranty is only really needed early on to catch manufacturing/quality defects (hey, I am sure they happened when the M4 came out -- there is a survivor bias in the visible supply). If your M-A gets through 3 years, probably one with heavy use, no reason to expact it to ever fail. IF it is inside built like the M4 as opposed to just looking like it ....... I suspect (hope?) it is that well built.

• Like 1

A Miller,

I wanted to actually get my hands on my Passport cards before I posted anything. Here is what was in effect at the time I registered my 3.4/21mm SEM on 2013-08-12. The same card carries mention of the coverage that extended beyond three years for some products, in another paragraph describing Limited Warranty:

- Leica M7 Cameras (Year 4 and 5)

- Leica MP Cameras (Year 4 and 5)

Blah blah blah...

I don't know what Passport protection means now. Check with your dealer.

HTH,

s-a

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Sold my M4 and M6 Classic to help finance the buying of this beauty (still have and enjoy my M9). Purchased at Leica Soho (NYC) and they were great, more than a fair price for what I sold. Sorry to see the M4 go BUT the M-A is equal in my hands in terms of weight and feel. The shutter feels and sounds the same (a little new, but that's okay) and the viewfinder is much brighter and flare resistant and it has the 75mm frame lines. And I love having nothing electronic in a full viewfinder, why I didn't for an MP or M7 (they are fine and wonderful cameras, but not for me). Hard to explain the joy of having this camera in my hand where the signature of its aging will be all mine. My only sorrow is recognition that my M4 was from 1968 and being 59 I am very unlikely to have the same number of years with this camera -- but I will make the years count! :D

Photos from my iphone --

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 19

I'm with you, Steve. Good move. The old cameras are great and fun. But they have quirks (e.g., less contrasty VFs, unknown rangefinder calibration precision, (in the case of the M3 and III models) films changing hassles). We all deserve a camera with no quirks, espcially if we use it very often. Don't get me wrong, I love the old cameras, and the quirks are much of the reason why, if that makes any sense...

I cringed at that red knob on your shutter release, though. Youxin Ye (a technician whom I use and trust very much) once strongly advised me against using one of those out of concern that the rod, if bent, can do serious internal damage to the shuttter release mechanism.

Edited by A miller
  • Like 2