I love my M-A

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought that the MP wind on was buttery smooth until I got my M-A. Is this normal or is it because my M-A is nearly new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you saying your M-A wind action is more "buttery smooth" or less? it is not clear from your question. Both cameras use the same wind mechanism so any variation is likely to be due to any of wear, manufacturing tolerance, differences in lubrication, etc. If it's not smooth at all then you might want to have it looked at.

Edited by wattsy

Yes my M-A is smoother. I was impressed with the MP until I got the M-A. The MP does not feel like it is not smooth. Perhaps more resistance that’s it I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by PaulJohn

• 2 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I finally made up my mind and bought an M-A today to complement my M4. I’ve been developing film in my bathroom and am back in the groove, but I need to find a way to scan it economically at home.

Well done, great choice. 

I am on the same boat.  For scanning 35mm film I recommend the Plustek 8200. Seems to be a very good product. 

Have fun with the M-A. It is great!

• Like 2

I finally made up my mind and bought an M-A today to complement my M4. I’ve been developing film in my bathroom and am back in the groove, but I need to find a way to scan it economically at home.

Congratulations on the M-A, one of the best purchases I've ever made. Hoping to add a second one as a backup.

I recently picked up an Epson V550 that I've been using to scan my film. The scans are more than good enough for sharing images online, but I only print in the darkroom so I'm not sure if the scans are good enough to print from. But tough to go wrong for $179 from Amazon.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

And now, after four days of ownership, you're selling it before even having finished the first roll of film ... talk about buyer's remorse :rolleyes:

I bought it from him and I appreciate his graciousness. John is terrific. Hope to join you guys here soon with some snapshots.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had used nearly all of the Leica bodies and lenses. Consequently, I was decided to get a Leica M-A, and forget the concerns related to advances in the technology. I suppose that my Leica M-A, 50’APO and a few rolls of Tri-X will remain the same after dozens of years.

3711179_F_1_D49_4220_9_FA3_9_A8163_E0374

Edited by odeon
  • Like 9

Odeon, welcome,

Very "advanced techno" (I think) for Apo-Summicron-M 50mm Asph.

Less so with M-A but nice combo.

If we can find Tri-X (and some chemical beside cafenol ;)), why not use this set-up for decades to come.

I don't use yet the rolls that came with my two M-A :p.

By now, just use those older films I have, mainly color ...

Please share serial number, if you want to, of course.

... my Leica M-A, 50 mm Apo and a few rolls of Tri-X ...

Your Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph's hood looks strange—definitely different from mine. Is it the original built-in hood? When did you purchase the lens? I bought mine in February 2014.

Odeon, welcome,

Very "advanced techno" (I think) for Apo-Summicron-M 50mm Asph.

Less so with M-A but nice combo.

If we can find Tri-X (and some chemical beside cafenol ;)), why not use this set-up for decades to come.

I don't use yet the rolls that came with my two M-A :p.

By now, just use those older films I have, mainly color ...

Please share serial number, if you want to, of course.

I am with you. 50'APO is the most advanced lens Leica produced in terms of both technology and technique. I would like to underline that issue... 5th generation 50'cron has been producing for 24 years now. Could one tell me how many years 50'APO will prevail?

:)

You may notice the serial number in the picture below.

Your Apo-Summicron-M 50 mm Asph's hood looks strange—definitely different from mine. Is it the original built-in hood? When did you purchase the lens? I bought mine in February 2014.

I think not. Were you close the lens cap in the extended position, you would have similar one.

:)

I had bought my Leica M-A from Leica Store Lisse in July, 2016, and then my 50'APO was purchased from Leica Store Istanbul in May, 2017.

Only issue I have ever had with my camera is a jammed shutter problem while taking photos at the Shard. Because of that repair in Wetzlar, the frame counter seems like a bit aligned. Or I am so fussy that I have zero tolerance. May someone speak up whether the frame counter must be aligned well or not?

IMG_1440.jpg

Edited by odeon
  • Like 1

Were you close the lens cap in the extended position, you would have similar one.

I see. So it's just the push-on cap ... duh.

Sure, I do have the same cap but I don't use it. It's tucked away with the box and the paperwork. Instead, I am using a vented E39 screw-in hood and a clip-on cap on top of that.

I see. So it's just the push-on cap ... duh.

Sure, I do have the same cap but I don't use it. It's tucked away with the box and the paperwork. Instead, I am using a vented E39 screw-in hood and a clip-on cap on top of that.

The metal cap may protect the lens better than the classic front cap, since it covers the edges. Moreover, the front element of my 50'lux had been scratched by that front cap which occasionally touched it. Hence, I suggest to keep your classic front cap for the next owner.

Edited by odeon

I believe that the most beautiful coasts of our planet are located by the Aegean Sea.

Today I have been able to take a glance at Samos, the Greek island, from Guzelcamli, Turkey. The scene must be reflected on Cinestill 50D.

IMG_1453.jpg

Edited by odeon
  • Like 10