Tried a D Lux (Typ 109) and LX100 today

I tried a LX100 last weekend. I didn't have an SD-card with me so can't judge the image quality.

I found the operation very convincing. Maybe the best coat-pocket suitable digital camera I have tried yet. Also the first compact digital camera, where manual focusing convinced me.

I'll have a very close look in the near future.

The D-Lux 109 appears to be =11491&tx_commerce_pi1[catUid]=12&cHash=5b1da603021afe985e14d0c75a7aeec8"]available (lieferbar) now. I'll have a close look as well, I need a new Lightroom version anyhow...

Stefan

I played with the LX100 last week and must say the build is exceptional for a compact camera. Even the aperture dial is solid and the two side tabs are an excellent idea (aka X100, etc.)

I haven't played with the 109 yet but do think I might like it without the grip as it just makes it that bit smaller. I love the size generally:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

According to camerasize.com :

• Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) is 3% (3 mm) wider and both of the same height.
  • Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) and Panasonic DMC LX100 have the same depth (55 mm).
  • Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) [405 g] weights 3% (12 grams) more than Panasonic DMC LX100 [393 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

• Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) dimensions: 117.8x66.2x55 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
    Panasonic DMC LX100 dimensions: 114.8x66.2x55 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Yes the GM5 is tempting indeed and i hesitated to order one given its smaller size and larger sensor but it is not significantly more pocketable, even with the new zoom 14-42 (Compact Camera Meter), and it lacks the analogue controls of the LX100 so i ordered the latter finally. I have to return it though as its EVF is constantly blurred...

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It is a size comparison with the Panasonic GM5 that may trigger a bigger conundrum, 4mp extra pixels and a choice of prime and zoom lenses.

Steve

I agree but the clincher has to be the faster and lighter lens on the LX100 and the whole concept of a larger sensor compact.

Yes the GM5 is tempting indeed and i hesitated to order one given its smaller size and larger sensor but it is not significantly more pocketable, even with the new zoom 14-42 (Compact Camera Meter), and it lacks the analogue controls of the LX100 so i ordered the latter finally. I have to return it though as its EVF is constantly blurred...

LCT - Could you please elaborate? Did you have a defective unit or was there something about the EVF that didn't work for you? Thanks.

LCT - Could you please elaborate? Did you have a defective unit or was there something about the EVF that didn't work for you? Thanks.

You may wish to take a look at this thread:

LX100 viewfinder and Glasses

I did believe that the body was defective in the first place but i managed to fix the issue myself by turning the diopter adjustment dial fully clockwise and exerting some force on it at its extreme position. Now the EVF works fine and i can't even seem to get the dreaded "rainbow effect" associated to it by reviewers. I have but a little experience with it though.

• Like 3

For the OP, the LX100 I purchased did not have a fine enough diopter adjustment work with my eyeglasses prescription. The camera went back to B&H and was replaced with a RX1r.

Interesting thanks. I thought that the diopter range of the Sony was shorter (-4/+1 vs -4/+3 for the LX100).

I would prefer the GM5 to the LX100 but I won't buy it because of the lack of manual controls, but it is likely I will buy the LX100 or D-Lux. If you look at Sony, Fuji and Panasonic they all now realise that serious photographers want a viewfinder. So why do we have the X and T, Leica have missed a trick here. I like to think of myself as a serious photographer and won't buy either.

• Like 2

Yes i preferred the Fuji X-E2 to the T for this very reason and for the analogue controls of the former as well. If i were younger i would prefer chimping and playing with smartphone-like cameras perhaps. Young people around me prefer real smartphones and real cameras with dials and viewfinder though...

The LX100 diopter has defined detents. The Sony has finer adjustments and feels more like an analog control verses the stepped diopter in the LX100. The appropriate setting for my prescription on the LX100 is between the detents.

Well OK, if you consider the EVF a crucially critical element. I mean, alternatively you hold the camera at arms length and snap away, so in reality (the real world that is) how is that so much different from holding the camera to your eye and seeing a slightly imperfect image? Yes I know you expect to see a perfect image in a viewfinder, but that hasn't been possible yet with an EVF anyway, so with experience (a few pictures) you know what the camera tends to focus on and you use the EVF as a composition tool, not to luxuriate in the final image.

Steve

• Like 1