I think I want to try shoot film...

jonnyboy

So I went to the shop yesterday to check what's available for sale...I have a bit of tight budget so I thought I will stick to an M4, I would actually love an M4-P but just for an aesthetic point of view to be honest, I just think it looks really nice!

Well there wasnt any M4-P but there was an M4-2 in really good conditions! It really was minty! Price was good too, 500£ with 6 months warranty - and I believe I can snap it for 450£. So at this point I dont know if gamble on eBay for an M4-P (which will cost me at lest 600£) or just grab this M4-2:confused:

I saw the M5 too....but it kinds feels bigger than the M4...so I dont know I wasnt too keen ...

Advice?

So at this point I dont know if gamble on eBay for an M4-P (which will cost me at lest 600£) or just grab this M4-2:confused:

You should shop around more, £600 is a lot for a good M4-P, I think R G Lewis have one in at £499 at the moment. Red Dot are expensive and all proper Leica dealers should give a 6 month warranty anyway, so keep looking.

Steve

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You might want to check out Aperture at 27 Rathbone Pl. They often have a good selection of film Ms and often to reasonable prices too. They sell all film Ms and Leica lenses with 12 month warranty.

Leica Cameras, Leica Lenses - Aperture uk - RATHBONE PLACE, LONDON, W1T 1JE | Tel. 020 7436 1015

You can also buy with confidence from Ffordes in Inverness. They have a very good selection of film Ms at the moment.

M Cameras Leica Range - Ffordes Photographic

Then there are the many continental dealers, who offer warranties and a right to return, such as Leicashop, Meister Camera, Photohaus, Newoldcamera etc.

Personally, I would avoid eBay because there's so much choice out there from reputable dealers.

Good luck

Philip

Ps. The M4 is a fantastic camera.

• Like 1

If you want to start with film I would recommennd you to start at the end of the pipeline: find a good baryta paper, what does it cost, how do I develop that, where can I buy developers, where can I find an enlarger, what's the price, how do I build my darkroom, etc.

This is because I think it's non-sense to use film and than halfway step over to scanning and printing digital. The whole idea of film is only interesting because of the final result: a wet print from the darkroom, that is my humble opinion

• Like 1

If you want to start with film I would recommennd you to start at the end of the pipeline: find a good baryta paper, what does it cost, how do I develop that, where can I buy developers, where can I find an enlarger, what's the price, how do I build my darkroom, etc.

This is because I think it's non-sense to use film and than halfway step over to scanning and printing digital. The whole idea of film is only interesting because of the final result: a wet print from the darkroom, that is my humble opinion

My humble opinion is that your humble opinion is wrong.

• Like 3

You might want to check out Aperture at 27 Rathbone Pl. They often have a good selection of film Ms and often to reasonable prices too. They sell all film Ms and Leica lenses with 12 month warranty.

Leica Cameras, Leica Lenses - Aperture uk - RATHBONE PLACE, LONDON, W1T 1JE | Tel. 020 7436 1015

You can also buy with confidence from Ffordes in Inverness. They have a very good selection of film Ms at the moment.

M Cameras Leica Range - Ffordes Photographic

Then there are the many continental dealers, who offer warranties and a right to return, such as Leicashop, Meister Camera, Photohaus, Newoldcamera etc.

Personally, I would avoid eBay because there's so much choice out there from reputable dealers.

Good luck

Philip

Ps. The M4 is a fantastic camera.

Thanks for this!

• Like 1

So I went to R G Lewis on Saturday and I bought the M4-2 it was there. When the guy took it off the shelf and gave to me I just couldnt help but buy it ;) it's in mint condition, all beautiful and clean...and it feels really good in hands. Couldnt drop a penny on the price but I got 3 rolls of film for free....and a 15min in-depth explanation on how to load the films etc etc :cool: Went to Italy for the weekend I really hope the shots I got are well exposed, at the moment I'm without meter so finger crossed!:D I'm not sure I remember how to unload the film when is full but I guess there will be some tutorial on Youtube...

• Like 5

To rewind the film you need to move the lever on the front left of the camera ( as you look at it from the front) and then rotate the rewind crank. As you reach the end of the film you will feel the tension increase and it will be slightly harder to rewind. At that point if you want to leave the leader out of the cassette you have to listen and feel for the end of the film leaving the take up spool. If you wish to fully rewind the film just keep turning until the crank turns freely.

...At that point if you want to leave the leader out of the cassette you have to listen and feel for the end of the film leaving the take up spool.

It is best to make sure the whole of the leader protrudes as there is a (probably very slight) risk of a light-leak if the leader is half in / half out of the cassette.

I still got the first roll inside, I got few shots left...but to be honest with you I have the feeling I will mess it up when I will have to remove the film...therefore I think I will go back to the shop this saturday just to see how to do it properly.

strange feeling to snap pictures and not know if i got the shot...i feel i may be under exposing maybe, hard to get used to the same iso to all shots, we shall see! :o

Anyone can advice me a lightweight and pocket light meter? something i can have in my bag at least for the first weeks.