Someone stop me from buying an M8!

bender73

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi. I have read some of this correspondence although not all of it I admit.

I know exactly what you mean about having and using a Leica. I bought an M8 used a few years ago and have been using it ever since. I love my photography and I adore the M8, It has never given me any trouble at all and I have never needed even to think about insurance or what to do if it does wrong; it doesn't! It is a beautiful camera and very useful. Unlike you I am now well into my 70's and my eyesight is not as good as it was so I fear I will soon have to part with my lovely work of art. I have several wonderful lenses and if you want to go true wide angle you don't have to invest in Leica's own wonders as Vogtlander make some excellent alternatives.

Let me know if you need more information.

Thank you for that reply, I appreciate it.

I do have to say, out of all the forums I have ever joined, this place is filled with very helpful, intelligent, and kind people.

I post something on Nikonrumors and I get bashed by someone.

Thanks!

(says a lot about the kind of people that invest in quality cameras for the desire to create art using a refined machine)

I have had an M8.2 since the month it was released, in the intervening years I have bought and sold two M9s because try as I may I could not convert the M9 files to mono any where near as successfully as the M8.2 files ( I convert almost all my shots to Mono).

I would not hesitate to buy an M8 especially if you do a lot of B&W. The only other digital cameras I use with any frequency are Fuji X-T1 and X100.

I also shoot B&W film with Leica 35mm and Mamiya 645.

I have had an M8.2 since the month it was released, in the intervening years I have bought and sold two M9s because try as I may I could not convert the M9 files to mono any where near as successfully as the M8.2 files ( I convert almost all my shots to Mono).

I would not hesitate to buy an M8 especially if you do a lot of B&W. The only other digital cameras I use with any frequency are Fuji X-T1 and X100.

I also shoot B&W film with Leica 35mm and Mamiya 645.

I am going to shoot color, but use the M8 as a B&W photojournalistic tool on wedding days.

Chris,

I wrote a long post, which seems to have vanished! (Despite being logged in). I will summarise however. I have an M8, had it for 7 years and nothing has gone wrong. I dislike the loud clunk of the shutter, and not a full frame and issues with the colour, but I am colour blind! and I do use the IR/CUT filter. However I shoot B&W JPGS, and DNG files for each image. I love Leica, had them since 1976, and once I got used to the view finder world, I was away. It was the move from Zeiss Icon heavy weight to Leica CL that was so significant, and is similar to your D800 issues when out and about. Later I bought an M6 which is a perfect canera, quite, discreet, but not digital. Finally I got with the program and went digital and bought an M8. Pretty soon, I regretted buying the M8, and wished it was an M9 when that arrived, but waited. Finally, this year I bought an M240, and that is a truly magical camera, very quiet, high ISO, and lots of other superb details. My advice would be to not buy an M8, but to save for an M240 and one lens (both can be found 2nd hand). You like 28mm for the M8 so look for a 35mm one. Go to a Leica dealer and try the M240. The B&W are magical, unique, as is the colour. I still shoot B&W JPGS and DNG files and are constantly amazed at the quality. Once you can handle the difference between SLR and viewfinder you will sell your "roller bag of Nikon bodies and glass" and buy an M240, and be free. BUT the big issue is getting totally free with the viewfinder world. It took me about a year.

Chris,

I wrote a long post, which seems to have vanished! (Despite being logged in). I will summarise however. I have an M8, had it for 7 years and nothing has gone wrong. I dislike the loud clunk of the shutter, and not a full frame and issues with the colour, but I am colour blind! and I do use the IR/CUT filter. However I shoot B&W JPGS, and DNG files for each image. I love Leica, had them since 1976, and once I got used to the view finder world, I was away. It was the move from Zeiss Icon heavy weight to Leica CL that was so significant, and is similar to your D800 issues when out and about. Later I bought an M6 which is a perfect canera, quite, discreet, but not digital. Finally I got with the program and went digital and bought an M8. Pretty soon, I regretted buying the M8, and wished it was an M9 when that arrived, but waited. Finally, this year I bought an M240, and that is a truly magical camera, very quiet, high ISO, and lots of other superb details. My advice would be to not buy an M8, but to save for an M240 and one lens (both can be found 2nd hand). You like 28mm for the M8 so look for a 35mm one. Go to a Leica dealer and try the M240. The B&W are magical, unique, as is the colour. I still shoot B&W JPGS and DNG files and are constantly amazed at the quality. Once you can handle the difference between SLR and viewfinder you will sell your "roller bag of Nikon bodies and glass" and buy an M240, and be free. BUT the big issue is getting totally free with the viewfinder world. It took me about a year.

Too late! bought an M8. That rhymed. LOL :D

I don't need a 240. I would love it, sure. But, I am happy to actually finally have a Leica M. I have wanted one for years. I have a bag of $10,000 worth of Nikon gear that allows me the freedom to shoot in all light with great bokeh. But, that is not what always inspires me. The thought of working manually with a pure camera that has quirks and limitations really excites me. I have a family session booked this weekend and it is at the same location of the last 5 I have done in the last 3 weeks. I will use my gear and produce great images (hopefully). But, it will be predictable and sort of "easy."

I want to be challenged, but rewarded. I think the M8/M9 can do that.

...we will see

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Would love to see how you get on. Post some pics!

I had/have a similar issue to yours and have gone for the Fuji body but generally use a Leica 50mm or 28mm lens. That way if I DO ever get the cash for a Leica body, I already have lenses for it. Meanwhile I am loving the XE1 and challenge of working with the manual lens. It's a compromise but life is!

Just a quick reply re using flash. I use my Nikon flashes a lot in manual mode on my M & Mono - just stick em on the hotshoe, and you're good to go, at or below sync speed.

Take a lot of family shots with bounce flash, and still able to just carry a small shoulder bag around. The old SB-800 doesn't look too sad, the newer ones a bit like - 'do you want a camera with that flash' ;-)

Just a quick reply re using flash. I use my Nikon flashes a lot in manual mode on my M & Mono - just stick em on the hotshoe, and you're good to go, at or below sync speed.

Take a lot of family shots with bounce flash, and still able to just carry a small shoulder bag around. The old SB-800 doesn't look too sad, the newer ones a bit like - 'do you want a camera with that flash' ;-)

You use the Nikon SB-800 in manual mode with the M? What power typically with bounce indoors? I assume they would be pretty consistent settings once you get used to the flash power, let's say 1/8 to 1/4 power? Maybe f/5.6-7.1 (guessing). Shutter around 1/125-ish?

That would be very cool to be able to use my Nikon or reissue Vivitar 285s at family gatherings! Keep my ISO at 160 and bounce clean light. Very nice.

Too late! bought an M8. That rhymed. LOL :D

I don't need a 240. I would love it, sure. But, I am happy to actually finally have a Leica M. I have wanted one for years. I have a bag of $10,000 worth of Nikon gear that allows me the freedom to shoot in all light with great bokeh. But, that is not what always inspires me. The thought of working manually with a pure camera that has quirks and limitations really excites me. I have a family session booked this weekend and it is at the same location of the last 5 I have done in the last 3 weeks. I will use my gear and produce great images (hopefully). But, it will be predictable and sort of "easy."

I want to be challenged, but rewarded. I think the M8/M9 can do that.

...we will see

Congrats!

What lenses do you plan to use?

Yep - works great and you already own the flash, which is nice. Power to suit obviously - but like you said, once you get used to the room size & distances - you only need a tweak as necessary.

Makes a great, light travel kit and the flash is there when you need it. Works well with pocketwizards & Nikon flash cords too, and not just for family stuff :)

Here's a couple of shots around f/4 if I remember right. I don't see why you shouldn't expand the use of a camera to include flash work. It's just a camera right and light is light !

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...