Very interesting field review of the M8...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everybody,

I am the author of the original 6 weeks M8 field review in Iran that started this thread. I just joined this forum, I would be happy to answer any questions regarding my experiences with the M8 system. you can see images from that trip here: Welcome to the Bruno Stevens archive.

I hope you'll like what you see...

B.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back on the subject of obsolescence, if you're prepared to step back from the temptations of the relentless upgrade cycle, and concentrate on image quality and usability, there's no reason why you shouldn't be happily using an M8 in well over 5 year's time. Digital is now a relatively mature technology and the files from 10mp cameras like the M8 are extraordinarily good for printing at A3 or even above. I am certain that in 5 and even 10 years time I will still be shooting film with my M6, even though the image quality is not ultimably comparable with the quality of files from the M8.

One thing puzzles me. If you have already bought an M8 and one assumes that you've gone through some sort of personal evaluation process that leads to a postive buying decision. Why on earth would you be then interested in subsequents reviews of the camera?

I've noticed this with people you buy What Car? magazine. When I ask if they are buying a new car - invariably the response is No - I'm just checking if they are writing about my car.

Bizarre!

Hello everybody,

I am the author of the original 6 weeks M8 field review in Iran that started this thread. I just joined this forum, I would be happy to answer any questions regarding my experiences with the M8 system. you can see images from that trip here: Welcome to the Bruno Stevens archive.

B.

Hoi Bruno, this Iran serie is really something astonishing. As a p&s artist I do admire your skills, these are fantastic 'telling' pictures. Seems you do serve Leica's tradition right and I can not agree more with STNAMI's " the most interesting and purposefull M8 images seen on the forum ". Absolutely true. Thanks for sharing.

As a M8 owner I'm glad to learn that this contraption is purposful and to some extent reliable as well, allthough I had no doubt in the first place for others it might lift theirs.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One thing puzzles me. If you have already bought an M8 and one assumes that you've gone through some sort of personal evaluation process that leads to a postive buying decision. Why on earth would you be then interested in subsequents reviews of the camera?

I've noticed this with people you buy What Car? magazine. When I ask if they are buying a new car - invariably the response is No - I'm just checking if they are writing about my car.

Bizarre!

Validation that one has made the right decision....and spent their coin wisely. Of course some people simply look for negative reviews so they can creat fiery responses and felx their muscles & vitriol over the net.

Personally, I enjoy reading the digital forums for the pure train-wreck amusement they provide at times.

Hello everybody,

B.

When I saw the work my first question had to do with the photographs of Iranian women, of which there are many, and wonderful, - this shows my lack of understanding of the culture, but I thought it was frowned upon to photograph muslim women - but these are very open and honest picutures so it looks like you did not have any problems, could you speak to the experience of working in the culture?

maybe I am confusing arab/iranian/muslim into one, a common problem with westeners?

great work-I see a lot of joy in these pictures esp img id 8234981- a very needed antidote to the current media portrayal of the middle east.

Guest sirvine
Hello everybody,

B.

Hi Bruno. Welcome! This is a great resource for M8 information--most of what we've been discussing at lightstalkers is covered here in much greater depth.

I have been following these M8 threads (the non-technical ones that is) since they started. I can see where everybodies coming from, although I don't agree with the appoach by, well lets call it both parties.

The M8 fans and owners are "backslapping" each other to death especially in threads like this one, obviously the M8 is a great camera and one can be thrilled to pieces by owning one.... But I wish you would leave it at that. What bothers myself a bit is all the yadayadayada about the perfection of it all, it's greatness and head and shoulder quility upgrades from other Pro camera's. I cannot/will not mention names but looking through the galleries of some M8 owners and contributing "fanboys" of this item you might ask yourself how in godsname do they know it's a world-class top product, and will they actually ever find out themselves that they own a very good instrument for making top quality images .... I don't believe they ever will, not judging by their photogrpahic abilities anyway. The M8 has many powers, some have something to do with the photogrpahic quality it is able to produce, most however are just "extentions" ...and this is all fine, it's human, it happens with most luxury products.... but please refrain form obtaining arguments from other people and spreading them around like "the knowledge" is yours ....

this is all very much becoming like the Nikon vs Canon wars on the different forums, on a higher level I must admit, but nevertheless similar.

So had to get that off my chest, I will go pick up my newly ordered M8 now and see how I can camouflage the darn thing .... just kidding, about the camouflage that is (but actually thats another subject for discussion, the taping off of red dots and other inscriptions)

Btw. I don't believe my M8 to be any better than my 5D .... only lighter, and nicer to have, hold and fondle ... it will definately not improve my photography. I will only use it for Black and White "low/available-light" photography. Will it be worth it's money? .... I don't think so, will I be dissapointed? ... I don't think so either. But like most M8 users I will enjoy owning it and using it.

Hello everybody,

B.

Hi Bruno,

I enjoyed your report. I was encouraged to read that your M8 did so well in heavy rain. Did you encounter it very often?

Cheers,

Validation that one has made the right decision....and spent their coin wisely. Of course some people simply look for negative reviews so they can creat fiery responses and felx their muscles & vitriol over the net.

Personally, I enjoy reading the digital forums for the pure train-wreck amusement they provide at times.

I think more to the point, is that they have nothing better to do with their time. How about using the thing to take some pictures?

The M8 fans and owners are "backslapping" each other to death especially in threads like this one, obviously the M8 is a great camera and one can be thrilled to pieces by owning one.... But I wish you would leave it at that. What bothers myself a bit is all the yadayadayada about the perfection of it all, it's greatness and head and shoulder quility upgrades from other Pro camera's. I cannot/will not mention names but looking through the galleries of some M8 owners and contributing "fanboys" of this item you might ask yourself how in godsname do they know it's a world-class top product, and will they actually ever find out themselves that they own a very good instrument for making top quality images .... I don't believe they ever will, not judging by their photogrpahic abilities anyway.

Telling other photographers that you own an M8 is kind of like saying that you went to Harvard (or Oxford, Heidelburg, etc.). Or that you're a member of Mensa. Some people get jealous and want to take you down a peg or two. They gleefully point out that your output should be 200% better than everyone or everything else at all times, and since it isn't, you aren't as high and mighty as you think you are.

This is just as much a form of snobbism as the "I dine on caviar, so I am superior to you" variety.

I bought my M8 only after thoroughly investigating less expensive alternatives and concluding that for me, my experience, my eyes, my subjects (and my lens stash!), the M8 was the best digital tool I could get. I am perfectly capable of taking crappy and banal pictures with it. But hopefully as I learn it better, I will create a few here and there that are truly satisfying to me and convey what I hope to convey. Just as I now do with film.

--Peter

The M8 fans and owners are "backslapping" each other to death especially in threads like this one, obviously the M8 is a great camera and one can be thrilled to pieces by owning one....

It is called the M8 forum, so no surprise to find a lot of owners enthusiastic about the camera. Although you won't have to look very hard for criticism based on experience as well. As to the quality of anyones photo's. I have learned useful things from many users experiences here, some of whom are talented photographers and some not so much. This isn't a juried photo competition or a gallery space it's a forum for sharing technical tips, experience and work arounds for owners of the M8 camera. Happy snappers, talented artists, dedicated amatuers, dilletants with more means then talent and professionals all welcome.

Guest stnami

Johannes I think that the backslappers are only a small minority and most seem overwhelmed by the camera thus their misguided enthusiasm, given that...... they do dominate the forum at the moment. As for the galleries........... hmmmm....... probably don't know better, there are plenty of people who just don't get it or see it, but to them their stuff looks great, Shrug

The camera placed in a situation such as Bruno has, i.e. intensive work of an interesting subject over 6 weeks and with a capable photographer and the results will be there, highlights what a great B&W tool it really is. Do we really need to know more about how the camera performs? Probably not. But those with lesser skills will try to find a way to get a better result and many feel that the camera will do it for them and the technical way is their avenue of learning. Remember the majority of real enthusiasts cannot afford the camera and lenses

I will only use it for Black and White "low/available-light" photography. Will it be worth it's money? .... I don't think so, will I be disappointed? ... I don't think so either.
The results and prints I have seen outside this forum it is the most worthwhile B&W camera around and there it sits above others in that dept. Reliability and colour(filters needed) is questionable and detracts from it being a great tool

It is possible given that the M8 has its own space to isolate yourself from excessive fondlemania and the word "fantastic"

I am not saying that one shouldn't get an M8. And if they already own Leica lenses, it becomes an easier choice. I'm just trying to explain that the perspective of some individuals cannot be applied broadly to the needs of others. But surely everyone here knows this. The M8 is not a mainstream camera. It is for those who appreciate what it does, don't mind paying for it, and that is about it. Not many will be pursuaded to buy a Leica on a cost vs value basis argument.

As to comments about an M8 letting one get back to thinking about f stops and shutter speeds, working on one image at a time instead of ten. Maybe for some, I can't say. But when did the camera change this? I don''t think I've shot on auto exposure or program very much on any camera (not counting p&s models) more than a handful of times. All of the cameras I've owned have had a manual mode and I used it. You can put any camera on a tripod and take your time.

When it comes to cameras there is no one size fits all solution.

I think the M8 and its lenses are a terrific combo, and they create some beautiful images. One can also understand that those who contribute to this forum tend to be Leica boosters. I'm one of them. But the most beautiful photography can be taken with lots of equipment. I am reminded of some calotype (or Talbot-type if you prefer) portraits from Scotland taken in the 1840's by Hill and Adamson as I recall. They are spectacular, despite their technical limitations. The Leica M8 will not make you a great photographer, but it will give you some spectacular opportunities within its field of competence.

Any suggestion, that it will not cost you about $10 grand to play in the Leica sandbox are flat misrepresentative. It is an expensive system, and likely to remain so. Beginners and students should look elsewhere, such as a Holgar.

Steve