Beyond 1.102 -- time for a new laundry list?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It happens when the camera has been used with a different coded lens. Replace the CV15 and the camera asks which focal length: 16,18 or 21, with the default for 18. After that it is OK for as long as one uses it.

This is what I've observed, and it's logically consistent, storing one--the last recorded--lens type as coded.

I get the "flickering SET menu listing", but just after start up. Not sure what's least disruptive, the flicker because the camera hasn't finished POST, or a slight delay until POST is complete.

A new one: camera lock up IF:

1. No SD card is loaded at power on

2. Select MENU and scroll to "Sensor Cleaning"

3. Either turn wheel, or use "arrows" to select YES

...nothing, no shutter open, nada...

BANG.... locked. Only battery removal to restore camera function.

This has only occured when no SD card is loaded when I attempt a sensor clean. Not that I clean the sensor often, but I was able to re-create this lock up. It's not SDS, thankfully.

rgds,

Dave

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how about EXIF data that shows whether UV/IR filters are used or not so we know which colour profile to use.

the M8 seems to do an aweful lot of in camera processing, and depending on filters/menu settings it changes the image quite abit (ie: vignette/cyan corrections).

it would be nice to have a record of that so one knows how to process the file accordingly, and its a good way to keep a record for archive purposes.

thanks,

andy

Guest guy_mancuso

Andy the only way maybe to do that would be in the EXIF data that the menu option for that is on. Like ON/UV/IR. So it only could be driven by the menu option just like ISO , shutter and such. Now folks like me the filters are always on but some do tend to go back and forth

how about EXIF data that shows whether UV/IR filters are used or not so we know which colour profile to use.

the M8 seems to do an aweful lot of in camera processing, and depending on filters/menu settings it changes the image quite abit (ie: vignette/cyan corrections).

it would be nice to have a record of that so one knows how to process the file accordingly, and its a good way to keep a record for archive purposes.

thanks,

andy

I support that. I am sure it can be done, but there may be no standard field, so that it will end up hidden in a maker note. The request is to add it to the "software" tag (which is actually used to say which firmware is in use, as "1.102 with Lens Detection ON" or "1.102 with Lens Detection ON+UV/IR". Everybody prints this out.

scott

Advertisement (gone after registration)

that works for me!

i try to keep my filters on all the time as well, but i have also had my M8 for several months prior to getting any filters....thats a lot of shots in the catalog.

the M8 has come such a long way, definately looking forward to seeing more changes and improvements!

thanks.

andy

I support that. I am sure it can be done, but there may be no standard field, so that it will end up hidden in a maker note. The request is to add it to the "software" tag (which is actually used to say which firmware is in use, as "1.102 with Lens Detection ON" or "1.102 with Lens Detection ON+UV/IR". Everybody prints this out.

scott

Full screen preview with highlight clipping warning. That little window with the histogram just isn't enough - I want to know if I'm clipping with just a quick glance without having to squint (or zoom), esp in bright sunlight where it's most likely to happen.

Charles, you can get this now. There are two settings you need to turn on to get the full screen clipping:

Menu/Histogram/RGB with Clipping

Auto Review/Histogram/On

Carsten: The full screen clipping warning only works for the initial right after the shot preview. If you want to play an image back you have to contend with the key hole sized image in the info screen.

Guy: How about asking for an optional blue coloured shadow clipping warning as well as thr ability to bringing the clipping warning back to the full screen playback?

- C

Fully agree with Guy's summary of the list to date. One thought is if it's possible to switch off postprocessing of the preview. I don't know if others have the same impression, but with 1.102 if you're moving quickly through a series of previews the post process takes time to cut in and may be one of the reasons for things going wrong / looking bizarre. MOST important for me is to have the preview so I can get a sense of framing + clipping. MAYBE the answer would be to have monochrome preview on all the time (with LARGE histogram showing). That would meant we'd stop being distracted by the colour (which is always going to be iffy on the camera LCD) and be getting the essential photographic information.

OK - that's it:

WISH - Preview Option - B&W + large histogram

Someone else mentioned this above, and I experienced it last night myself. I did have a card in the camera though.

Firmware 1.102 installed;

Initiate sensor cleaning process, but don't press the shutter release straight away. Even a delay of a couple of seconds results in the camera 'locking up'. Specifically:

the shutter won't open;

the off switch will not power off the camera;

the only way to exit this state is to remove the battery;

If you press the button pretty much straight away, it behaves as expected. So there is a very good workaround (press the button straight away), however it would probably be better if the off switch really did shut off the camera if it gets into this state.

Not a firmware issue but along with a travel charger how about a .8 viewfinder with 135 framelines as an option. I think the 28 would fill the frame on the wide end. With the 1.25x magnifier you would have a 1.0 finder. Having 2 camera's wouldn't be just for backup anymore.

Not a firmware issue, but I use the M8 as a wide-angle platform, and would like to see a lower magnification version, with the rangefinder patch unchanged in size. This would reduce the fraction of the viewfinder which the faster lenses and 21,24 Elmarits and 28 Summicron obscure. and make shooting with the 24 and 28 a lot more pleasant for us glasses-wearers.

maybe with a little stretch, there could be effective frame lines for the 21 (probably not in the M8 timeframe, but for the M9).

scott

Another vote for the B&W only preview.. I **don't** want to shoot any JPGs and I don't want to see any colour... for the occasional time where I'd want to pull a shot into colour, it's all there waiting in the RAW...

We're getting there everyone ;)

I get full screen clipping warning. Am i missing something

Guy, you only get it if you have auto preview on. If auto preview is off you just get the postage stamp in the corner.

That reminds me, I also vote for a full screen histogram!

Guest guy_mancuso

I will give this another day or two and than try to get it into a nice document to send off. Fixes and wanted features, since many have put features down also. I will post before i send so everyone has a good idea what we are asking for. Any other bugs? besides the ones we know about, Leica is more concerned about this part for the moment, not that features are less important but they want a solid firmware out there.

BTW the DMR has a full screen white line histo. You take a shot than on full screen for a couple seconds a white line histo shows on the entire screen, for me i really loved that setup and was a quick indication if all was good or bad.

So i also see a full screen clipping on playback is a general want also.

i will sort it all out and post

Guest guy_mancuso

Let me add something because i think if you want a full screen histo like it is in the small box than we maybe asking for trouble because we can't see the image overall, too me that is bad. i like to see the image than worry more about the histo . But this white line setup like the DMR you get to see the whole image but a white line histo is overlaid, plus you can see any clipping.

if i may ask a DMR owner to shoot the back of a LCD to show this. I highly recommend this setup more. This solves all the issues of seeing full clipping, full histo and full image all at the same time.

We need to think about this because it really could look like a clutter mess and be even more confusing and slow you down

Charles, you can get this now. There are two settings you need to turn on to get the full screen clipping:

Menu/Histogram/RGB with Clipping

Auto Review/Histogram/On

But I don't want Auto Review! I want to review when I need to review, and at that time I want to see a full screen with clipping warning. Not too much to ask with a 2007 pro digital camera.

Let me add something because i think if you want a full screen histo like it is in the small box than we maybe asking for trouble because we can't see the image overall, too me that is bad. i like to see the image than worry more about the histo . But this white line setup like the DMR you get to see the whole image but a white line histo is overlaid, plus you can see any clipping.

if i may ask a DMR owner to shoot the back of a LCD to show this. I highly recommend this setup more. This solves all the issues of seeing full clipping, full histo and full image all at the same time.

We need to think about this because it really could look like a clutter mess and be even more confusing and slow you down

Histogram not so important to me, as I shoot more PJ style (it's an M after all) in often difficult lighting. So just need a quick indictation where clipping is happening. I'm generally shooting with the M in fast situations - the buffer is already too slow IMO - and then to have to squint at a postage stamp is too much. Sometimes I don't care as I'm shooting into the light but want to know what's blown out - specular or true highlights. I think this more easily usable clipping warning is esp important as I've found the M8 needs to be underexposed by 1/3 to 2/3. It's easier to recover shadows than the highlights.