Fixing the Leica Strap

Dikaiosune01

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With so many threads on different straps; from leica to Artisan and Artist, etc... ... I really don't know where to begin by sifting through the long list of threads already covering what is the best strap. So I apologize for adding the the mass of 'strap threads' but hope you'll bear with me.

I do like the Leica Strap. I like the rubber pad on the shoulder. I like the Nylon. I like the connectors. I like the adjustability. I like the flexibility. And I definitely like how there are no dangly bits at the end of the strap for adjusting. The things I dont like is the subtle scream of leica on the shoulder pad; And my main problem...

the plastic connectors that is next to the lugs; that hides the unusally shapped D ring; keeps coming loose. The result is when the plastic falls out of place, the pointy bits on the connector dig into my hand; and the plastic gets dug into my skin.

(1) How to fix and lock the plastic connecting things. (I would also appreciate what to name it; rather than 'plastic connecting things')

(2) other recommendations and suggestions.

Thank you

I used those Leica straps for years and the plastic retainers never came loose. Maybe the newer ones aren't as tight, or the plastic is more flexible, Idk. What I disliked about them was I feel the retainers are unncessarily bulky, and they let the webbing slip through just enough so the strap doesn't hang at the bottom of the loop so I kept having to pull at it. I solved it by removing them and using standard split rings. But I when wearing a collarless shirt the pad nubs chafed my neck. When Cosina came out with those cloth Voigtlander straps (now sold by A&A under their name) I switched to those and really like them. With the Leica case on the M240 I had to cut off the protector fobs so it wouldn't bind, but otherwise I'm still liking those straps. They are nonadjustable but happen to be just the right length for me.

I like the standard strap as well. Upstrap makes a very similar one that I use on my Df. The rubber pad nubs on both are grippy enough that you can safely carry with the strap on your shoulder rather than around your neck. But they can make the pad feel uncomfortable when worn around the neck. I've not had a problem with the plastic keepers getting loose. Mine take some effort to fully seat (kind of a click when they do), but once seated they have remained in place.

I couldn't stand the rubber pad on my Leica strap, so i cut the ends off and stitched them into a bit of plain 1" nylon.

the ends haven't come undone on me, but i did shut them properly, then put 2 stitches behind each one, so they can't back off the steel ring

(pic is before i put the stitches in)

I am planning on acquiring another one, and building an adjustable strap (like the A&A slider) with the Leica end links, just need to find the time

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I never really liked the Leica strap, nor most others. The one exception was one I acquired about 10 years ago from Luigi. Since then I've used his as a generic template in making my own from leather (Tandy) adjusted to my particular needs - in terms of color, texture, length, width, and fastening mechanism. It has allowed me to create instant on/off straps for my TLR bodies as well. By far a better solution than dealing with somebody else's idea of what's best for me.

• Like 1

I never really liked the Leica strap, nor most others. The one exception was one I acquired about 10 years ago from Luigi. Since then I've used his as a generic template in making my own from leather (Tandy) adjusted to my particular needs - in terms of color, texture, length, width, and fastening mechanism. It has allowed me to create instant on/off straps for my TLR bodies as well. By far a better solution than dealing with somebody else's idea of what's best for me.

thats why i customised mine ! (my X100 wears a custom built adjustable strap too)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With so many threads on different straps; from leica to Artisan and Artist, etc... ... I really don't know where to begin by sifting through the long list of threads already covering what is the best strap. So I apologize for adding the the mass of 'strap threads' but hope you'll bear with me.

I do like the Leica Strap. I like the rubber pad on the shoulder. I like the Nylon. I like the connectors. I like the adjustability. I like the flexibility. And I definitely like how there are no dangly bits at the end of the strap for adjusting. The things I dont like is the subtle scream of leica on the shoulder pad; And my main problem...

the plastic connectors that is next to the lugs; that hides the unusally shapped D ring; keeps coming loose. The result is when the plastic falls out of place, the pointy bits on the connector dig into my hand; and the plastic gets dug into my skin.

(1) How to fix and lock the plastic connecting things. (I would also appreciate what to name it; rather than 'plastic connecting things')

(2) other recommendations and suggestions.

Thank you

I have had about 12 Leica straps. Only one of them describes your problem. It's the most recent one on the Leica M. Other straps are/were o.k. I could only tape the plastic to let is stay in it's place.