Anyone else NOT use a case for their M9/MM/M?

A miller

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I always used a Luigi half case for my M8 and M9, but not M6. (I didn't have the M6 for long, though I loved it and would have kept it if there was a professional photo lab nearby.) Why did I use one for the M8 and M9? Two reasons. First, I think it provided some sort of protection--and am pretty darn careful with my cameras (even though I always have special insurance on them). Second, I had a Luigi half case with the built-in grip. That, along with a Thumbs Up, improved my grip on the camera and overall user experience.

Summary: I think it's a subjective thing. Just do what you feel comfortable doing, etc.

There is an inexpensive 'skin' available that one can apply to a Leica to minimize wear. It is perfectly transparent. It is a bit difficult to apply to certain areas for some of us shaky types, but still worth considering,

After all the money I spent buying cases for my Ms, Luigi and other cases, I now use my cameras naked. I feel that the camera is easier to grip without a case, even though the feel of some genuine leather in my hand is wonderful. But I always transport the camera in a bag along with extra lenses etc. And for International travel I use semi hard cases and all lenses are packed in their containers. Travel can be tough on your gear even if it was as solid as Leica's.

After all the money I spent buying cases for my Ms, Luigi and other cases, I now use my cameras naked. I feel that the camera is easier to grip without a case, even though the feel of some genuine leather in my hand is wonderful. But I always transport the camera in a bag along with extra lenses etc. And for International travel I use semi hard cases and all lenses are packed in their containers. Travel can be tough on your gear even if it was as solid as Leica's.

You can always have your M recovered in real leather. My M8 has Rollei Textured Black Magic leather from cameraleather.com and my M9 was recovered ex-gratia by Leica in Nappa leather Jaguar British Racing dark green.

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I stopped using cases on my M-E and M6 b/c I rarely bring just one body with one lens out with me, so I've shifted to using a bag. However, when I did go out with just one body / one lens I used the Leica half case and really liked it, as it improved the overall ergonomics (IMO). I missed the improved ergonomics so much that I purchased grips for both bodies, but I only use them when I use larger / heavier lenses.

IMHO this is not yet becoming a real survey. Maybe the case-users must be activated a little bit more...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/304310-i-love-my-m.html

Anyway, I love my cases:D:)

Hi Paulus - Speak for yourself; for me, this has been an extremely insightful flood of responses and a generous donation of time by scores of people on an infinitesimally silly topic. Surveying both sides was never my intention. Rather, I just wanted to articulate my reasons for going caseless and inquire whether any others have done so for similar reasons.

"Fully-clothed" M users are more than welcome to articulate their contrarian views here as well!

All the best,

Adam

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Why?

Ask anyone who has a Luigi case to post a picture of it attached to the camera and see if you can see either the play or LV buttons ....................depending what camera it is attached to.

its a high dollar item that fits like a old pair of gloves..........And yes I have owned both:D

• Like 1

Ask anyone who has a Luigi case to post a picture of it attached to the camera and see if you can see either the play or LV buttons ....................depending what camera it is attached to.

its a high dollar item that fits like a old pair of gloves..........And yes I have owned both:D

Yep, fully agree. Was very disappointed with my Luigi.

• Like 1

I agree on the Luigi. I sold mine over a year ago. I just received an Arte Di Mano in black with black stitching plus the classic strap for my Monochrom. It fits beautifully. I will post a picture if anyone is interested. I also have an Arte Di Mano for my chrome M in Rally Volpe with classic strap. :D

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
I agree on the Luigi. I sold mine over a year ago. I just received an Arte Di Mano in black with black stitching plus the classic strap for my Monochrom. It fits beautifully. I will post a picture if anyone is interested. I also have an Arte Di Mano for my chrome M in Rally Volpe with classic strap. :D
+1

Funny thread and funnier still that I have the same perceptions as you do. I have a luigi case that I never use. This started when I got a strap that connects to the tripod thread. I much prefer it without a case.

Not a problem with the M but a recipe for disaster with an M9 or MM.

Steve

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Not a problem with the M but a recipe for disaster with an M9 or MM.

Steve

Steve

I use this for the Monochrom and Noctilux and it works and hangs great

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

I once used a Leica halfcase with my M8 some years ago. Since one had to move it off and on for changing battery after some time it left some signs on the coating of the M8-body.

So instead of protecting the body it did slightly damage it.

For sure the Leica case scuffs the camera. I think even the L. C. case brasses the edge of the bottom plate after a long time, but I can't be sure.

• Like 1

I have a Luigi half-case (with grip) for my M9, but rarely use it. I preferred the body as it came, or with a grip added.

My M (240) has no case - I use a Really Right Stuff angle plate with grip, permanently attached. I like the grip, and it fits instantly onto my tripod, either way up.