Anyone else NOT use a case for their M9/MM/M?

A miller

John

Not to highjack the thread, but how do you use your T? Mostly with M lenses. Do you have some T lenses? For long/steep hiking I can see its usefulness, but not being FF is what is keeping me on the sidelines. I guess the UI is OK, but M use flows so nicely for me.

Hi Lou,

I have the midrange zoom, and it's a useful walk around. Not stellar, but very good. Comparable or better than the Sony offering in the same format. The M lenses, though, are fabulous. Really, really good.

Like you, I was pretty underwhelmed when the Sony APS-C sensor was announced, but I was wrong. It works really well with this package. To date, I have played with the Noct and Distagon 2.8/15 ZM with very pleasing results. My biggest issue is time, but having the Monochrom, 1.4/21, Noct & 1.4/75, T and 18-56 zoom with me here in Tokyo gives me lots of choices - 21-32-50-75-105 in primes and a zoom.

For accessories, I have the EVF (very good, but does make the camera a little bulky), m adapter, macro adapter and Lance wrist strap.

To stay on topic, I didn't bring any cases. The Monochrom is lovely naked in the hands, and the T with its solid aluminium feel and sharp edges is comfortable (for me) and secure.

Hope this helps.

John

I never use a case, because I think they are bulky and silly.

I don't baby my Leicas, but I *do* put them in a small domke bag when not in use. That domke bag comes with me everywhere, whether it is commuting, assignments, office days or holidays with the family.

Over the years I have learned that damage happens when you are NOT using the camera. In and out of the car, on the floor, kids get a hold of it, etc.

That's how I protect my investment.

There was a time when I considered making a case out of ductape, mostly to prevent theft, but nowadays I don't care. 99.9% of the people have never seen a leica before and imagine its a p&s from the 1980s. Especially if I dont look at the screen. Beyond that, just common sense and normal vigilance.

Edited by skinnfell
  • Like 1

I never use a case, my M's are looking worn but they work and thats what matters.

Same here.

However, I am careful with my M cameras so they get some brassing, but no major battle scars (so far). I bought my Leica kit to use, not to fondle and fetishize.

I love the look of Luigi's succulent half cases and straps, but I don't love them enough to plunk down $400-450ish USD per camera to slather my M cameras in "Rich Corinthian Leather," to borrow a line from the old Ricardo Montlebaun car commercial.

My M cameras live in their bags when not in use and wear BlackRapid straps when I'm shooting. So far, they seem content with that arrangement. As long as they are happy, I'm happy. ;)

The only Leicas I use a case with are my 1© Standard and model II but only because they don't have lugs to have their own strap on the body. Otherwise I emulate my father, who never used a case with his Leicas and in over 50 years, I don't either.

Wilson

I use the M naked with the Leica handgrip (just the simple one, not the MFG). When not in use, and while hiking, I put it in the Artisan & Artist ACAM60 vanity case (with the 50mm lens on); it goes in the rucksack like that, with my clothes and all other stuff. Any other lenses also get thrown in the rucksack in a variety of small Lowepro lens pouches.

I have one soft case that I occasionally use on any M when camping or hiking, the "Original Benser".

Picture credit: Roger William Hicks and Frances Eugenia Schultz

Same here. But not for a lot of serious pics as wrapping and unwrapping will get tedious in a hurry.

Fall back is Domke F5. Holds body and 2/3 lenses depending on size.

A lovely little Fogg Soprano bag to carry the M, Iphone and car keys, credit card and a little cash. Otherwise, it is an old walking sock for when the camera needs to go into my rucksac.

I do like the look of the half cases, but could never see that i would go out with 'only' my camera. Carkeys and phone also need to be carried.

• Like 1

No case, ever. My dad always used cases; I fondly remember him fumbling with it. A full case might be useful if you don't shoot much, and plan on reselling in short order. If not, ditch it; they just slow down the process. I realize that some people use a case to "protect the investment". Forget that. A digital camera is a lousy investment unless it gets used. The return on investment is both the pleasure derived from using it and hopefully the resultant photos (if one gets pretty good at knowing when and where to point it).

These cameras depreciate. I'm guessing my 5 year old M9 is likely salable for at least $5,000 less than what I paid for it. That's $1000 depreciation per year, give or take. If it was pristine, it would sell for more, but not enough to make it worth it to have used a case.

So, in conclusion, ditch the case, practice being ready, and shoot.

The above is just my opinion, is not directed at the OP, and admittedly, means nothing. ;-)

Larry

• Like 1

I've used the bottom half of erc cases in cold weather because the metal bodies get really uncomfortably cold and I find it hard to work the controls with gloves on (the fingerless ones are pointless as it's my fingers that get numb and stiff). My M4 bodies are full of scratches and dings to prove they didn't always get cased. And at the time I didn't think about resale either. I had no idea Leicas would become collectible. Almost 45 years later I still have them and not planning to sell even though I doubt I'll use them again. For one thing, I won't get much given their condition. And if I do, with the same film and lens it will give me results like a brand-new MP. OTOH my M8, M9 and not M240 always had a case on because digital technology advances and in a few short years I'm wanting to get improved IQ by upgrading. Being able to honestly advertise my M8 and M9 as being mint let me recoup top dollar and put it toward the next model. And the back flaps on those cases protect the LCD and make it so I don't even know it's there unless I need to change ISO or something.

+1

I also use a leather case in summer.After 1999 I have alway used a case and it feels good. Especially the M6 Leica ever ready case of 1999 is a wonderful tight case.

see:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-GBppz/i-kVWBRx2

I still use it today! My first M6 a Titan was better in a case because the sweat of my hand deteriorated the Titan very fast. On my Chrome M6 traveller I never used a case until I sold it. In winter it's good for your nose. It won't freeze to the camera. My brother once had serious nose-frostbite when he used the M6 without case in Siberia and Jakoetsk at minus 50 degrees celsius.

I really like cases. What is wrong in being careful with such a nice camera?

Edited by Paulus

I tried Leica's half case for the M9 but ditched it soon after - my subjective opinion is that it's just uncomfortable, and inconvenient for changing card and battery. I also prefer to use my film Leica's (Barnack to M) caseless.

of course you ditched the Leica M9 case. It was terrible IMHO, just like the Artisan and Artists M9 case. I think that's also the point. A very well made case adds something. A bad one is just a bad experience.

I once used a Leica halfcase with my M8 some years ago. Since one had to move it off and on for changing battery after some time it left some signs on the coating of the M8-body.

So instead of protecting the body it did slightly damage it.

Since then I have never used half cases for the Ms. I also have had grips for the M9 and M but for me the best way to shoot the M/M9 is just without any protector.

I have one for my T...which feels pretty good and I believe it will make sense when I want to use the T in cold temperature.

Protection? A good bag is more important IMO.

IMO Leica stopped making good cases when they build the M8. I never new why. The M6 case 1999 was so good it never has damaged my camera. I can image people never using a case because they don't care of scratches and worn out camera bodies but the argument not using a case because the case is bad for the camera feels to me like not using shoes because the shoes are to tight or not comfortable. And yes, I like walking on my bare feet, but in some cases it's not practical.

this is all very illuminating, as I had erroneously assumed that the majority used cases.

IMHO this is not yet becoming a real survey. Maybe the case-users must be activated a little bit more...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/304310-i-love-my-m.html

Anyway, I love my cases:D:)

• Like 1