Anyone else NOT use a case for their M9/MM/M?

A miller

In the wider scheme of things it is the minority that use a half case, and a good proportion of those are encouraged simply by having something sexy to buy in leather rather than buying something that is truly meant to be protective. And in the past a leather case was often used to store the camera from one holiday to the next, not protect it against mud and shrapnel.

I got a half case from Mr Zhou when I had to carry two camera's within easy reach, and apart from that one time I've never used it again. Not that the case was wrong, bad, or unattractive, but the extra bulk was uncomfortable and the slippery leather offered less grip so I had to grip it tighter and that made it more tiring. So no matter how beautifully made they may be, or how nice they smell, my camera's are still as naked as they were before that one outing.

Steve

• Like 2

In the wider scheme of things it is the minority that use a half case, and a good proportion of those are encouraged simply by having something sexy to buy in leather rather than buying something that is truly meant to be protective. And in the past a leather case was often used to store the camera from one holiday to the next, not protect it against mud and shrapnel.

I got a half case from Mr Zhou when I had to carry two camera's within easy reach, and apart from that one time I've never used it again. Not that the case was wrong, bad, or unattractive, but the extra bulk was uncomfortable and the slippery leather offered less grip so I had to grip it tighter and that made it more tiring. So no matter how beautifully made they may be, or how nice they smell, my camera's are still as naked as they were before that one outing.

Steve

You may have a case there.

• Like 2

I started off with a Luigi case on my M-E but soon got fed up of having to remove it to get at the battery/SD card so stopped using it. Camera sits much better in my hand without the case, and I have not suffered any damage, which was the main reason I bought the case, other than a bit of rubbing. I now feel the Luigi was a bit of a waste of money.

My M6 on the other hand does sport a very nice Artisan and Artist case. It's a much thinner leather than the Luigi, and I think it adds to the styling of the body.

I also used the Leica 1/2 case on my M8 and eventually ditched it in favor of a third party grip by Photo Equip. When I got my M9, I used the same grip. Then Luigi came out with a somewhat lower priced line of cases w/ the option of a built in hand grip. I bought one and using it with the addition of a thumbs-up I am very happy and never looked back. The Luigi 1/2 case is a knockout visually and provides a better and more comfortable grip than the accessory hand grip. The fact that I have large hands and longer than average fingers may play into the matter. I almost never 'chimp'. The fact that I set the LCD screen to Off as my default makes the need to remove the case in order to change batteries often is a non-issue. If I need to look at the LCD, it is always available with the push of a button.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by jevidon

Interesting - I have always used a Zhou case on my MP but had not really thought about the reason, other than I like the bump on the front.

The MM has always been naked with a wrist strap. I recently bought an Artisan & Artist case for the M9 (and occasionally MM) and have only used it once - it's such a fag to get it on & off the body, particularly around the strap lugs.

I think I will move the A&A case on - apart from the difficulty in fitting it, I don't like that it has nothing above the screen at the back, so the end pieces can move apart too easily.

I have a Luigi half case and the case for the T, but I only use them if if taking a camera somewhere it might get damaged, which is to say rarely.

John

Not to highjack the thread, but how do you use your T? Mostly with M lenses. Do you have some T lenses? For long/steep hiking I can see its usefulness, but not being FF is what is keeping me on the sidelines. I guess the UI is OK, but M use flows so nicely for me.

I have a Lowe Pro case for carrying the camera when not in use, as well as a Lowe Pro Orion Trekker for carrying other gear, otherwise I simply sling the camera around my neck, and sometimes carry an extra lens or two in a leather waist-pouch. I do agree about trying to keep the camera in the best condition possible.

What leather waist-pouch do you use? I've been looking for something that will fit on my belt and hold a 90 Elmarit or 21 SEM for walking around... with my bare naked M9/35 Summicron. I hate the idea of dropping a few hundred bucks on a Fogg Harp.

I once used a Leica halfcase with my M8 some years ago. Since one had to move it off and on for changing battery after some time it left some signs on the coating of the M8-body.

So instead of protecting the body it did slightly damage it.

Since then I have never used half cases for the Ms. I also have had grips for the M9 and M but for me the best way to shoot the M/M9 is just without any protector.

I have one for my T...which feels pretty good and I believe it will make sense when I want to use the T in cold temperature.

Protection? A good bag is more important IMO.