New Monochrom ?? [merged]

Paulus

At the moment I am using the EVF2 extensively. I would not say that it is the cat's whiskers but it gets the job done quite well, and the focus peaking is very accurate, far more so than the Sony implementation on the NEX 7 I am using beside it.

No complaint here.

I also use the EVF-2 almost always and find it serves my purpose well. I will welcome a Monochrom that uses the same battery/screen and buffer as the current M-P whenever it comes out. Since I normally travel with 2 chargers for each battery type that will really help space wise and backup battery wise.

I wonder if it will be a CMOSIS and will its native ISO be 400, like the current MM doubles the old M9 native ISO. If ISO 400 plenty of ND filters might be a must for using that camera.

I use the optical rangefinder on my M 240 and have never had the need for an EVF. Guess I'm just old school. When a new Monochrome comes out, I hope they stick to the same battery as the M. I'm really pleased with my battery life, but I also seldom use the LCD.

• Like 1

Always fun to speculate about these things.

A potential Monochrom update would likely be based on the M240 and therefore share all of its physical upgrades, including shutter, battery, and weatherproofing.

If they follow the M240 structure, it will use the CMOS and not a CCD, although there seems to be enough public support for the continued use of CCD that it might make a difference. On the other hand, Leica moved from CCD to CMOS and judged it to provide equal and better image quality to the CCD, so our collective gruntings might not be as effective as hoped.

As for a potential release date, past schedules suggest that we actually might see a new Monochrom before a new M. It's not like the Monochrom was an entirely new camera, it was essentially a M9-P with no Bayer filter and a tweaked processor. Mind you, seeing the fairly recent release of a chrome Monochrom right before the M-P doesn't bode well for that pattern to continue.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well I had been quite happy with the EVF until 2 nights ago when I tried using it at my daughter's school play - M240 and 75 Summilux. The first time I had used the EVF for such work.

Within 20 minutes I had realised how bad the lag was - I had missed almost every facial expression that I was after :mad:.

I went back to the optical finder. All was well with the world again and the Summilux was just magic :).

• Like 1

Getting back to the original topic...

Leica is a company that follows somewhat predictable cycles and patterns, at least when it comes to digital Ms. Jaap has the intervals right. Following past patterns, the new Monochrom should be announced in May 2015 and be available late summer. The successor to the M-240 would be announced in September 2015.

Yes, Photokina 2016 looms. But Leica has not waited for the biennial event to release Ms, which have been on a precise 3-year release interval since 2006.

The pattern may be broken, but it is enough for those of us to... Barely... Reluctantly... Resist the lure of the MP, and hold out for next year, which could see a two-camera upgrade. We shall see.

Well I had been quite happy with the EVF until 2 nights ago when I tried using it at my daughter's school play - M240 and 75 Summilux. The first time I had used the EVF for such work.

Within 20 minutes I had realised how bad the lag was - I had missed almost every facial expression that I was after :mad:.

I went back to the optical finder. All was well with the world again and the Summilux was just magic :).

Even when using the EVF you can set the camera to "continuous" and it will fire approx. 3 shots per second.

Even when using the EVF you can set the camera to "continuous" and it will fire approx. 3 shots per second.

Not during the performance in a very small and intimate theatre-in-the-round with 2 to 4 actors on stage and an audience of 40.

Even the M240 is too noisy for that!

exactly the contrary for me :-)

• Like 1

Mark,

I agree. The lag is problematic for me as well. And the killer is the black-out time. Between the the two it is mostly only usable for landscape, just me.

I used the optical finder for the kids at Halloween. It was a real treat to be able to shoot 3200 ISO at f2.8 and 1/30 and get nice files. My M9 would have been unusable or I'd have converted to B&W and missed all the color of the costumes.

My wife shot the RX1 on auto at 6400-12800 at f4 and 1/60sec. She got the better shots, more in focus and a lot more files to choose from. But hey, at least I was solidly in the game with the M240 for a change and had a lot of fun.

I can't imagine how nice and usable the files would be with a M240 Monochrom even in B&W.

Rick

• Like 1

If you set the review to "hold shutter button" it will freeze the image and revert as soon as the file is written, just like any other EVF. That takes care of the blackout as a blackout but the waIt remains, which is indeed one of the problematic things about any EVF I have used, including Sony and Fuji.

If you set the review to "hold shutter button" it will freeze the image and revert as soon as the file is written, just like any other EVF. That takes care of the blackout as a blackout but the waIt remains, which is indeed one of the problematic things about any EVF I have used, including Sony and Fuji.

I thought I'd check my RX1 against the M to see how much faster the RX1 is shot to shot when both are using live view. The difference is about 2.5 seconds. The M brings back a LV screen and is ready for the next shot much faster than the Sony RX1.

I have to say I was wrong about the M240 being slow to come back from blackout after a shot (compared to the Sony). I took it for granted from the complaining around here that the M240 was much slower than other cameras. I don't have my Canon 5DII anymore. I wonder how fast it is to the next shot when using LV?

The cause of the complaints is that the M produces a real blackout at standard settings, whereas other makes "freeze" the image. As soon as you get around that difference as described above the comparison is objective and sometimes the M is faster than the competition.

Yep. I think we get preset in our beliefs that the M has crappy electronics, programmers and engineers and therefore assume everything about it is substandard. Interestingly, some of this criticism is by forum members that don't even own the camera.

Why does the LV take so long to come back? What is going on that must be completed before a new image can be displayed? I could guess, but what is the limiting factor?

Edited by RickLeica

• 1 month later...

I've been considering picking up a Monochrom, but have held off this far, not in hopes of superior image quality, but in hopes of an updated M240 style body-- the newer body (for me at least) is leaps and bounds ahead of the M9 style in terms of usability.

Given today's response by Leica regarding a permanent solution for the CCD issues, should we be expecting an updated Monochrom in the next year or so?

I've been considering picking up a Monochrom, but have held off this far, not in hopes of superior image quality, but in hopes of an updated M240 style body-- the newer body (for me at least) is leaps and bounds ahead of the M9 style in terms of usability.

Given today's response by Leica regarding a permanent solution for the CCD issues, should we be expecting an updated Monochrom in the next year or so?

Personally, I think the current MM is great. I have no desire or need for an upgrade.

• Like 12