New Monochrom ?? [merged]

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the M9 based MM will benefit more from the evolutionary upgrade to the M240 platform than the M9 to M240 did. There will be no colour issues (!) and the additional DR will be welcome, although MM files are already ridiculously flexible. The existing MM is close and the M240 platform may just tick all the remaining boxes.

If the M240 MM gets the same ISO quality boost of about 1.5 stops compared to the M9 Mono, you will be able to shoot at 1600-2500 and get results that look like base ISO in some cams. This does remarkable things for what you can shoot, for lack of need for a tripod. ISO 10,000 could be darned good.

Is the metering better on the M240 than MM/M9? If so, this will be a welcome addition. Its not just the lack of highlight recovery options but its alliance with a relatively crude metering system in the MM that can make it tough to handle in rapidly changing light. Under more controlled shooting,its easy, but when things change fast and you only have one shot to catch the moment.

I have a MM which I doubt I will sell. Oddly, I am more interested in the M240 Mono as a second body than I am in a M240 successor. Can't wait to see what Leica comes up with...

I would have done the same as you if I had a MM but I am look forward to seeing this new MM as a much better improvement total as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Leica News & Rumours is guessing the new Monochrom will hit the market in february/march: Rumors: the new Leica Monochrom camera will be announced in February/March

Does anyone in this forum have insights? What's your guess/opinion?

Yes that's might be right. Probably Februari/ March 2016. but with a little luck December 2015.

I'm guessing the M.240 / M-P platform is due for an upgrade ( time since launch as well as current price discounting and observing that Safari edition does not cost extra ).

I would prefer a new Monochrom to be based on a new platform - it's own platform or perhaps launching at the same time as a new M11 chassis.

I'm guessing the M.240 / M-P platform is due for an upgrade ( time since launch as well as current price discounting and observing that Safari edition does not cost extra ).

I would prefer a new Monochrom to be based on a new platform - it's own platform or perhaps launching at the same time as a new M11 chassis.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/2832061-post6.html

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I touched it. I held it. I am at the Palm Springs Photography Festival. Leica had a booth, and it was on display. They had the same photos I am seeing on the web. Overall, I was not impressed with the sample photos from a selection standpoint. Not a wide range of subject matter, nor a wide selection of processing styles.

The festival is jammed pack with interesting stuff so I didn't spend a lot of time at the vendor booths.

But I touched it.