New Monochrom ?? [merged]

Paulus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first Monochrom ( assuming that another will follow ) I rejected for two reasons.

First reason was buying the M240 for colour because I really wasn't satified with the M9 because of the iso and the screen in the back. Second because of the noise it makes when you make a picture.

I hope now is the time for Leica to think of developing the new Monochrom.

The list of what I want will be like this.

Body+shutter and motodrive : like the M 240 with outstanding battery lasting for a week or at least lasting as long as a D4 Nikon. In chrome and black please.

No video function nessesary so I could do without the microphone holes. Making the M9 edge possible and making it water tighter.

Sensor: The current sensor would be ok a suppose.

Price: the same as the current Monochrom of less.

Safier screen with current or better M240 screen.

Gonna be tough to beat the current Monochrom. IF the new camera has CCD, it'd be worth considering. But I've been going through my M240 files vs. my Monochrom files and I believe the CCD sensor is part of the "magic" with the Monochrom. Files look much more organic. I've been considering selling my Monochrom to buy a backup M, but I'm beginning to think again after looking through my library.

-Ron

• Like 6

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The first Monochrom ( assuming that another will follow ) I rejected for two reasons.

First reason was buying the M240 for colour because I really wasn't satified with the M9 because of the iso and the screen in the back. Second because of the noise it makes when you make a picture.

The ISO of the MM has nothing in common with the M9, it can be safely used up to 5000, or more. Actually use the camera and the sound of the shutter isn't noticed, secondly isn't as loud as you think it is anyway, especially to other people, and thirdly the picture quality for a photographer should override any tiny criticism of the design.

If you can wait two years for the next one, why not instead wait four years for the one after that, or another four years for the one after that?

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 5

The ISO of the MM has nothing in common with the M9, it can be safely used up to 5000, or more.

I know , I have shot with the MM.

Actually use the camera and the sound of the shutter isn't noticed, secondly isn't as loud as you think it is anyway, especially to other people, and thirdly the picture quality for a photographer should override any tiny criticism of the design.

When I shot with the MM I noticed that the sound was the same as the M9. I may be wrong of course but IMO the sound is the same. The M240 sound is much better. Watertight sealing also feels better. Nothing wrong with the ccd but one can dream about a better body?

If you can wait two years for the next one, why not instead wait four years for the one after that, or another four years for the one after that?

Steve

Maybe I will do that.;)

My guess: Photokina 2016

My guess it'll be before if, as would seem logical, that Photokina 2016 is earmarked for the release of a new colour M. I can't see Leica releasing new colour and monochrome M's contemporaneously.

• Like 2

I bet it's gonna be announced during Q1/2015, with limited availability during Q2-Q3/2015 and normal availability by Q4/2015. It's probably going to share the M240 platform, batteries, accessories, etc. I hope it will have the new interface for the EVF though, the same as the T, so that the ancient Olympus/Leica VF-2 can be completely retired...

That matches perfectly with the next color M being announced and released in 2016.

I bet it's gonna be announced during Q1/2015, with limited availability during Q2-Q3/2015 and normal availability by Q4/2015. It's probably going to share the M240 platform, batteries, accessories, etc. I hope it will have the new interface for the EVF though, the same as the T, so that the ancient Olympus/Leica VF-2 can be completely retired...

That matches perfectly with the next color M being announced and released in 2016.

Different interface for improved EVF on future Monochrom based on typ 240 platform would be bold move by Leica, sure thing on future colour model.

Different interface for improved EVF on future Monochrom based on typ 240 platform would be bold move by Leica, sure thing on future colour model.

Sadly, I'd agree, I think we'll be stuck with the EVF 2 until the successor to the type 240 appears.

like the M 240 with outstanding battery lasting for a week or at least lasting as long as a D4 Nikon.

Not sure what you mean by the battery lasting a week. Shooting half a day and I'd be at half charge. Two days of use, which I see as casual shooting, and the battery is blinking at 10%.

Of course if I don't use the camera the charge lasts for a few weeks :p

Hi, I am struggling of purchasing a M240 or a MMonochrom. What I' m not sure is, if the difference of the two different sensors are finally visible in a print! As long as we watch images on a screen I wonder if we talk about the same criteria. Thanks for any hint.

Hint--if is all you do with your images is to posrt them online, then why not get the a7s since with its 12MP sensor it is more than enought for internet postings.

Edited by algrove

When I make photos for a week I is about 1300 shots.

Not sure what you mean by the battery lasting a week. Shooting half a day and I'd be at half charge. Two days of use, which I see as casual shooting, and the battery is blinking at 10%.

Of course if I don't use the camera the charge lasts for a few weeks :p

I think I was pretty clear in my answer in post #10.:confused::confused::confused:

My guess it'll be before if, as would seem logical, that Photokina 2016 is earmarked for the release of a new colour M. I can't see Leica releasing new colour and monochrome M's contemporaneously.

M8. 2006

M9. 2009

M 240. 2012

--> Mxxx 2015......

Edited by jaapv
  • Like 4

I think I was pretty clear in my answer in post #10.:confused::confused::confused:

Sorry my intention got lost. Stating how long it lasts duration wise won't reflect how actively you use it.

Anyway since batteries interest you then here you go.

70% charge in 2 minutes.

NTU develops ultra-fast charging batteries that last 20 years