Lightroom support for T lenses

peterv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No do not enable profile corrections for the T's lenses.

leave that box unchecked.

you should see something like "embedded lens profile applied" down at the bottom where it says "unable to locate..."

the he confusion comes from the fact that on the M the camera does not embed lens profiles in its DNG. So you check that box and LR will find the right one for your lens. 

Sorry folks, when I unchecked Enable Profile Corrections, lo and behold I see this lovely message when clicking the Info icon:

So the profile is indeed hidden in the DNG........ and this seems to apply to the JPG as well. All very good.

Last question on this.

So built-in lens profile is applied automatically when I import an image from the T, taken with my T lenses. The profile is in both DNG and JPG.

When looking under DEVELOP, LENS CORRECTIONS under Basic, I see options like Remove Chromatic Aberration, Level etc - I can now use these, because my Leica T profile has been imported. Am I correct?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yes you can use those.

The Level thing is more to fix your technique than fix the lens. it is just sort of there because it goes with the other transformations which are more along the lines of "the 18-56 is not a tilt shift lens".

Remove CA is useful especially for the 23mm in high contrast areas where it can have purple fringing if you shoot with a wide aperture. I think that there may be another secret remove CA hidden in the embedded profile for the T's lens but I'm not sure. You'd have to have a DNG processor which doesn't apply the embedded lens corrections and then compare the image or something. The point is, this Remove CA is different. 

Yes you can use those.

The Level thing is more to fix your technique than fix the lens. it is just sort of there because it goes with the other transformations which are more along the lines of "the 18-56 is not a tilt shift lens".

Remove CA is useful especially for the 23mm in high contrast areas where it can have purple fringing if you shoot with a wide aperture. I think that there may be another secret remove CA hidden in the embedded profile for the T's lens but I'm not sure. You'd have to have a DNG processor which doesn't apply the embedded lens corrections and then compare the image or something. The point is, this Remove CA is different. 

Thank you I am slowly getting the hang of Lightroom and learning lots on this forum thanks to everyone here.

Lateral chromatic aberration is corrected for by the embedded lens-specific opcodes that Lightroom applies automatically. Like Ben said the CA sliders can still be useful for removing purple fringing which the embedded opcodes do not address.

LTR6:

this says it all: the built-in lens corrections in the image makes other lens profiles unnecessary.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by LexS