Leica M Menu settings - New article on overgaard.dk

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Interesting though I have to say the preset menu is my most used menu feature on the camera part from the format card button in the main menu. I have it setup as for normal, street, auto iso and the CV12 and can alter in seconds the settings for each of these which otherwise would take up quite a bit of time delving into settings and menus

Interesting though I have to say the preset menu is my most used menu feature on the camera part from the format card button in the main menu. I have it setup as for normal, street, auto iso and the CV12 and can alter in seconds the settings for each of these which otherwise would take up quite a bit of time delving into settings and menus

I have done similar:

Normal (DNG only)

Normal (DNG + JPG)

Bracketing on

Auto ISO

I am happy to have the choices. I think Leica should allow changing the "default" as well.

Thorsten shoots differently. He doesn't even need an aperture ring! Since the results are wonderful, I am not criticizing, but I have to do things differently.

I have done similar:

Normal (DNG only)

Normal (DNG + JPG)

Bracketing on

Auto ISO

I am happy to have the choices. I think Leica should allow changing the "default" as well.

Thorsten shoots differently. He doesn't even need an aperture ring! Since the results are wonderful, I am not criticizing, but I have to do things differently.

I would not just set the ISO to Auto without setting the limiter. Example-- you can set auto ISO and limit it to 500 in the day, and 1600 at night, or whatever you feel is necessary. That way you can still over or under expose your photos using the shutter speed dial or the aperture ring in manual mode. If you are walking around during a nicely lit day, you can just set one ISO anywhere from 200-320 and you will get enough shutter speed. I love shooting wide open when the scene calls for isolating or blurring. Otherwise it's not great, IMHO, to shoot landscapes wide open. I realize that Leica boasts a fine quality image wide open on all their lenses. I think Leica puts all those other numbers on the aperture dial for a reason. Dan

I would not just set the ISO to Auto without setting the limiter. Example-- you can set auto ISO and limit it to 500 in the day, and 1600 at night, or whatever you feel is necessary. That way you can still over or under expose your photos using the shutter speed dial or the aperture ring in manual mode. If you are walking around during a nicely lit day, you can just set one ISO anywhere from 200-320 and you will get enough shutter speed. I love shooting wide open when the scene calls for isolating or blurring. Otherwise it's not great, IMHO, to shoot landscapes wide open. I realize that Leica boasts a fine quality image wide open on all their lenses. I think Leica puts all those other numbers on the aperture dial for a reason. Dan

Yes, the auto ISO is limited, except not at 500 during the day. I have that at 200 and max at 1600. If you like shooting wide open, why not go with a lower ISO?

Yes, the auto ISO is limited, except not at 500 during the day. I have that at 200 and max at 1600. If you like shooting wide open, why not go with a lower ISO?

I think perhaps I did not explain it correctly: What I do during the daylight hours is set the ISO so that it will NOT go higher than 500. If I choose to shoot wide open the camera will automatically default to the lowest ISO possible under the given light circumstances. Dan

• 3 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I appreciate your comments but disagree with some of your settings, especially metering

In the 'Set' screen I use Spot & in menu 1, Classic

Why?  With a quick eyeball glance at a subject, in a second I'll know where I'm going to focus, what the ISO & f stop should be & set those.  The last variable is shutter speed.  Now I look through the camera, looking for a patch of 7 - 8 whiteness to not blow out the highs (see zone system) and capture the speed by holding the shutter release down 1/2 way

Exposure all set - compose, focus, shoot.  Very fast, have been using that method for yrs with various cameras.

Of course I'll make several exposures to give me options in Post.  I haven't lost a shot to bad exposure in years.  That said, I do miss the old hand held metering days.  You get really good at metering light with your eyes - even faster!