Leica X1 battery lock slider kaput

kennekam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a mint X1 with all the accessories and am still getting used to the leisurely way of working with it. Its like a digital IIIc or M3.

However, after only two weeks the little grey slider that locks the battery in place has disintegrated. I have owned well over 50 digital cameras over the years and this is the first time this has happened.

Is this typical for the X1/X2? The part seems very flimsy compared the rest of the X1as well as other digital cameras I have.

Where can I get a replacement? There is one for sale online at $60!!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I had the same problem but only because I dropped the camera (my mistake :mad: without any other damage). This happened just a few days before a journey to USA where I wanted to bring the x1 with me. With the addition of a thick cloth under the battery and some gaffer tape not to force too much the battery compartment door the camera worked ok for the journey. When back home, Italy I found there was no way to have it replaced in Italy and I had to send the camera to Solms. It took around 4 weeks, that made also a check of the camera which is now ok. It costed me around 300 EUR.

robert

Darn, snap, me too, putting the battery in yesterday, after charging, ping off it went. And I am careful, no force or hurry.

Annoyed, disappointed, and few other choice words. Sad really, I love the camera.

I will get it fixed, however if it necessitates a trip to the mother-ship, and more so if it is "around 300 Euro", I won't. It looks like this is a weak point perhaps.

Gary

Sorry to read about your accident. I think door failure is fairly rare despite the flimsy nature of a much-used mechanical component. I have had my X1 since first released in 2010 and it is still perfect after almost daily use since new. Have you spoken to the vendor/dealer?

Darn, snap, me too, putting the battery in yesterday, after charging, ping off it went. And I am careful, no force or hurry.

Annoyed, disappointed, and few other choice words. Sad really, I love the camera.

I will get it fixed, however if it necessitates a trip to the mother-ship, and more so if it is "around 300 Euro", I won't. It looks like this is a weak point perhaps.

Gary

I'm not sure if the 300 Euro I paid included also a general check of the camera, in which case it is possible the only substitution of the clip could be cheaper. Due to the intense almost daily use I make of the x1, which is my only digital I took the opportunity for a control. Unfortunately I do not know exactly what they did.

I suggest to check the cost before shipping!

robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have just bought a mint X1 with all the accessories and am still getting used to the leisurely way of working with it. Its like a digital IIIc or M3.

However, after only two weeks the little grey slider that locks the battery in place has disintegrated. I have owned well over 50 digital cameras over the years and this is the first time this has happened.

Is this typical for the X1/X2? The part seems very flimsy compared the rest of the X1as well as other digital cameras I have.

Where can I get a replacement? There is one for sale online at $60!!

This is one of the reasons I decided to use the accessory handgrip with my X1. It gives extra protection to a weak point of the camera. Same with my D-Lux 5, and the 4 before it. In the condition yours is in, I wonder whether the grip (alone or with some padding, perhaps) would offer sufficient pressure to keep the door closed without the latch.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck,

Kookie B.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had the exactly same problem on my LEICA X1 and X2. As reported on the LEICA X Facebook Fanpage I was able to solve the problem at no costs:

https://www.facebook.com/leicax1/posts/741791915858519

"‪#‎LEICA‬ Service: the small plastic part with spring that holds the battery was broken on my X2. A mail to LEICA and 2 hours later a friendly reply and one day later the spare part in my letter box together with a handwritten comment, for free. Isn´t that simply great?"

For sure this is a common problem and probably as well the reason for the easy spare parts service. 

Yes, simply put, the after-sales service is exceptional. Mine was repaired/replaced, by the local Leica facility, at little/no cost to me. I was very happy indeed.

Possibly such an item should not fail, but irrespective of that, it is fixed, so I am back to shooting with it.

Gary

I had the same problem but only because I dropped the camera (my mistake :mad: without any other damage). This happened just a few days before a journey to USA where I wanted to bring the x1 with me. With the addition of a thick cloth under the battery and some gaffer tape not to force too much the battery compartment door the camera worked ok for the journey. When back home, Italy I found there was no way to have it replaced in Italy and I had to send the camera to Solms. It took around 4 weeks, that made also a check of the camera which is now ok. It costed me around 300 EUR.

robert

The same here only on an X2. However, the battery does make contact without the battery lock as well, so it was not disabling.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Same here, fell out fast and I did not bother to replace it.

4 years or something down the road now and the internal battery is dead, so every time I take out the SD card the battery comes out and time/date reset.
Else - the camera lived longer than expected and I can live with that minor thing. It takes just as good images and I still use it a lot.
Btw - some Fujis have the same flimsy thingy there.

Edited by Peter_S

• 2 months later...

This has been a long thread. Mine broke too, but I don't want to send the camera to NJ and wait weeks for this, so I found this current link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Repair-Parts-For-Leica-X1-Leica-X2-Battery-Lock-Slide-Buckle-OEM-New-/162618261219?

I wonder if it is the correct part, if so my buddies at the local Canon/Nikon repair center could easily put it in place. However, I remember there was also a tiny spring??  :huh:

• 4 weeks later...

I already had my X2 repaired at Leica NJ for the broken battery latch earlier this year (took 6 weeks to replace this one tiny part!). Now it broke again. I asked Leica NJ if they carry this part but crickets. Not very impressed with their customer service so far. Might just go with the ebay seller to avoid another 6 week trip. 

Edited by kalifornier

Update: Leica NJ finally replied to my message and are sending the lock slide and spring free of charge. Brownie points for them.

Lucky you, I just got a message from Jeanine from Leica NJ she told they can’t sell those parts so I need to send my camera for repair... :(