M 9 shutter actuations

masterpaulie

The clue is in the exif data in your DNG files - I used the (Windows) software mentioned here to do the job:-

Free software for viewing Leica M9 images and EXIF data | Leica News & Rumors

I found that the M9-P I bought had nearer 1200 actuations than the advertised "approximately 400"

There are other, similar programs out there, plus you could find the hex data using Adobe Bridge and simply convert it to decimal yourself.

Here is another link in case you are a Mac user (I have not tried this one):

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34494461

Edited by john neal
  • Like 4

The M9Info software is available for Mac, Windows and Linux. Sweet software every Leica M9/ME owner will find interesting and possibly helpful. Down load it at Home

There have been many posts referring to that site, but I see no download option. Can you supply us with an exact link?

The site does not appear to support or use deep linking. However, those are the download links:

Version 0.61 for MacOSX

Version 0.61 for Windows

Version 0.61 for Linux

You can locate them by following the links Download, then M9Info. Parts of the smallish text window seem to offer English translations of the German texts. Scroll down to see them.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jeez, people always want to find the hard way. (Except TheLocust - that sounds useful).

Open the most recent image in Camera Raw (or anything that displays camera EXIF data)

Find the field labelled "unique image ID"

There will be a hexidecimal number, something like 00000000000000x5C3A.

Put the last digits (0x5C3A) in your computer's default calculator in Programmer mode (Base 16), then select "Base 10" - it converts the number to something readable, like 23,610.

(Don't have a Mac with those goodies? Ask Google. Type in "0x5C3A in decimal" in the search field, and press "search". Instant calculation.... )

• Like 1

That's it, thanks Andy. I tried it before. Not exactly simple though! Here's a graphic (Mac only I'm afraid).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I guess it is time to presume that everybody works while on-line.

Time to presume if you are reading where to download a programme to read your hex number you are online, and you are online downloading it. I fully appreciate those emergencies where you desperately need to know your exact shutter count quickly, like in discussions on LUF, so a programme could be very useful, ........if you weren't already online.

I'm at a loss to know what is the urgency in needing a shutter count there and then, rather than save it as a minor enquiry for next time you are online. Only ranting in the Leica store when your shutter has exploded would it seem urgently pertinent?

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

It's very easy to use and I prefer to click an icon on the bottom bar then load an image and read the information rather than lots of cut and paste with google hex converters ?

Okay I don't use it often but every now and then I'm curious 18k at the moment you triggered my curiosity !

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, TheLocust!

I've been searching for a really long time for that information... No one seemed to know how to enter service menu on the M9. Can anybody confirm that this works? Has this been known for a longer while?

Thanks anyway!

Arvid

Whoa, TheLocust!

I've been searching for a really long time for that information... No one seemed to know how to enter service menu on the M9. Can anybody confirm that this works? Has this been known for a longer while?

It works, but it is not a good idea to get into that menu. To find the way into it, you can simply Google Service Mode for M9/MM/M-E

"

• 2 weeks later...