Leica T vs. M8.2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ok, wait. Reset your thoughts and read below before commenting. I know that the M series and T series are completely different shooting experiences, and that is not my question.

It is late 2014, the Leica M8.2 runs about $2200 on the used market, same as the T with M adapter. I want to use some lovely my wonderful Leica M glass for digital and was looking at ways to go. I have had the M8 before and love the M8.2's black paint body, but think the T may be the better way to go. I have handled the T and really enjoyed it, but did not get the opportunity to use it with M glass.

Question is, how would the T stand up as primarily a Leica M glass shooter? I know to get the most out of the T one needs the proper autofocus lens, and I am sure that day will come, but for now I want to use my Leica glass with adapter. How do you folks fair?

Thank to all for your thoughts.

AG

Much rather get the T.

More reliable, in guarantee, better made, better shooting experience, quieter, nice to hold, better handling, better user interface, better screen, chance to get some AF lenses in the future, no contest really ....

Edited by colonel
  • Like 1

I'd rather go for the M8.2. First, because M lenses are originally made to work with a rangefinder and therefore would be easier to focus on the M8.2. Second because no one can convince me that the T has a better IQ than an M8. Having owned an M8 myself and having tweaked my share of T's RAW files balancing with the idea of getting one myself I can say that the megapixels are less but the image is sharper, better defined and the files require less tweaking. Just my 2€c.

Cheers,

Bruno

A perfect post for me, as it is what I too am struggling with at the moment.

I've had a couple of M8's, and also an M9. The acquisition cost (especially on the M9) is not insignificant. M8's (or M8.2's) are approaching what is affordable.

My fear is the redundancy of the older cameras, M8 especially. I read of shutter issues, coffee stain, and LCD's not being able to be repaired.

This is what is turning me in the direction of a brand new device, albeit with what most will agree, an older sensor.

I'd prefer the shooting experience of the M8, but the worry of the failures are enough to swing me the other way.

Gary

From my perspective, the current prices of the M8 and the T are similar, within a few hundred dollars or less. The M8 prices have fallen, but they are older cameras, and seem to be suffering age related issues. This is just a fact of life, parts fail, and supply dwindles or dries up.

The T on the other hand is new and should be around for a decent cycle time.

One is a R/F and the good and bad that goes with that, the other a P/S.

Either will produce what I want, it's just a matter of getting my head around this: what do I want?

Gary

It would depend on how long you hope to be able to keep the M8 in service. I thought EU rules were Leica had to keep spare parts for 10 years. That is coming up soon.

It would also depend on how you like the shooting experience of holding the T using the T vs holding and using the M. I can't answer that for you. But there is quite a difference.

It would also depend on how many lenses you already have for the M. If you have to add lenses, going with T lenses will save money, but while the T lenses are terrific, they don't have the fine manual "watch" build of an M, and that moves many people.

If you always want to shoot manual focus, go with a RF. If you don't care, go with the T.

For me, I ask what Leica would have done 60 years ago if today's electronics had been available, I bet they would have introduced the T rather than a RF.

Ok, wait. Reset your thoughts and read below before commenting. I know that the M series and T series are completely different shooting experiences, and that is not my question.

It is late 2014, the Leica M8.2 runs about $2200 on the used market, same as the T with M adapter. I want to use some lovely my wonderful Leica M glass for digital and was looking at ways to go. I have had the M8 before and love the M8.2's black paint body, but think the T may be the better way to go. I have handled the T and really enjoyed it, but did not get the opportunity to use it with M glass.

Question is, how would the T stand up as primarily a Leica M glass shooter? I know to get the most out of the T one needs the proper autofocus lens, and I am sure that day will come, but for now I want to use my Leica glass with adapter. How do you folks fair?

AG

Hi¡ I have the T, is a pain. Wattsy is totally right.

I have never used an M8 (my first Leica was my M9).

The T shoots better with the M glass than the T glass (in my humble opinion). The M glass is just way better. From a user perspective, you need to set up and get used to the electronic interface of the T, rather than the more physical interface of the M cameras - especially the optical view finder.

More critically, the crop factor is not to be ignored. With your M9, the M glass provides what's on the tin. The M8 and the T have different crop factors - in practical terms, my wide M glass is not so wide on the T - my 21 Summilux (ultrawide on the M9) becomes a 32mm on the T. This can be confusing as all your lenses get pushed to longer focal lengths. There is a benefit there as well, and that is the traditional 28-50-90 combination becomes 28-42-50-77-90-138 if you have a T and an M9 in your bag at the same time ...

Overall, though, the haptics of the T are completely different from the M cameras - the T is all electronic and makes no apology for it. The M8 (I assume it is much like the M9, apart from the crop factor) is more like a traditional M camera in its feel and approach, but with a digital sensor.

I would add one other thing - the M8 is not a "for life" product despite its packaging, and it should be treated as having a limited life. If you go down that route, you should probably prepare yourself for keeping it alive by buying more M8 cameras to pillage for parts. Conversely, the T is a digital camera (albeit an expensive one compared to its competitors).

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Sorry ...... but the crappy rear screen on the M8/9 is the main reason why I dumped my M9 as a spare .... and the inferior high ISO performance.

You can do everything on a T as well if not better than on an M9/M8 and image quality is on a par with the M9....... and you have the option of autofocus and an excellent EVF.

The only reason to stick with the M8/9 is the optical rangefinder.... if that is what your heart is set on. For all other practical reasons the choice has to be M240 or T.

Using M lenses on the T is simple, accurate and gives super results.The total package is smaller and much more flexible. Going back to an M9 after using the T for me definitely shows up its age and limitations .... despite what Wattsy and Joe say....

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I own an M8 and an M9 and there's a lot of difference between the M8's rear screen and the M9's. The M9's is MUCH better. Not up to modern Sony standards but better. Also though the M9 has better image quality, the M8 is quite good. And the M8 is IR sensitive so you get a great infrared photography camera with no conversion. The M8 rear screen IS too low in resolution to really see the image well. I'd describe it as adequate at best, but the M camera (any M) is a great experience to use. I'm sure the T is good too.

AG

Since I picked up a T, I've primarily shot it with M-mount glass and have found it to be wonderful. The only thing I would add is that the EVF is *critical* if you're going to use it with M-mount lenses.

So far I've had great results with the 35mm Summarit, 50mm Summicron and 15mm Voigtlander. I pretty much leave the Summarit on there most of the time as it is extremely compact and a great performer (as long as f/2.5 isn't an issue). :)

BTW, this is a great article that might help: http://www.slack.co.uk/2014/Leica_T_Manual_Focus.html

Edited by Carbon111
  • Like 2