D-Lux type 109 or Panasonic LX100. Choice now more difficult

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On a lighter note and not completely serious - the choice appears to be brain vs. emotion for me. The little grip on the LX100 works perfectly for my middle finger, while the grip on the 109 will make it slightly larger and appears to be a bit like an afterthought. The accountant in my brain has noticed the continuously dropping prices of the LX100.

But then, although the LX100 is a good-looking camera in itself, the 109 looks even better, to my taste.

So, looking for arguments to convince the little accountant, I can't quote the resale value, since I tend to pass my older cameras on to family members for the advancement of photography. The newer Lightroom licence has been accounted for.

Anything else?

How about this - while the LX100 will continue to drop in price, entailing the modern consumer feeling of having always bought to early, the 109's will be fixed, until the successor comes out. (;))

Now I still need a story for the photographer, who likes the little grip to hold the camera for portrait orientation...

Stefan

(postscriptum - the user interface of both cameras is simply brilliant. I also like the option to set the viewfinder to b/w.)

This little aluminum high quality add on grip should suit your needs nicely. Made by Richard Freniac.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Mr Hogan has an interesting take on the Panny version.

Panasonic LX-100 Review | Gearophile | Thom Hogan

My understanding is that the advantage of the DLux is the programmable function button. The Panny only has "idiot" i-function and filter buttons, which are unlikely ever to be used, but not assignable to anything else.

I spent a couple weeks in S. Africa using the LX100 and my Canon 7DII (I left the M240 at home for this trip). I took probably 2,500 images with the LX100 (granted 1,500 or so were involved with time lapse photography). I am quite pleased with the camera and its performance. It has limitations in image quality, especially compared to the M and at 1600 ISO and above. But it delivers good quality images and is very usable. I really like the flexibility of he zoom lens and the compact, durable package. I actually dropped it accidentally from about waist high onto concrete steps where it bounced further down a couple steps. It suffered a small dent on the top plate, but continued functioning flawlessly.

Likes: good IQ up to ISO 1600; good lens for a P&S; good, fast auto focus; very usable, especially for basic functionality (A, P, T, M, Auto-ISO); malleable raw files; compact; durable; Wifi easy to use; I like the hand grip- I think not having one (like the DLux) would be an issue for me.

Dislikes: Exposure Compensation dial is too easy to accidentally move. I would love to have a lock on it. iA function button too easy to accidentally push - this is easy to notice and correct, but I really never use this and would like to disable the button; metering calibration-almost a 1 stop over exposure in every mode except spot - I'm permanently dialed in to -1 exposure compensation.

• Like 1