D-Lux type 109 or Panasonic LX100. Choice now more difficult

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Colours are a very personal subjective view. I like the rendering provided by the LX100 but I haven't tried the VLux 109. I set my camera up to standard mode (default0 for colour rendering but one could use other settings including vivid which I haven't tried and I know from instinct that I probably would not like! Or there is RAW when the whole pallette is virtually available!!

Edited by dhsimmonds

Is commented that the Visor of LX100 is not royal, saturates very much the colors ..

who the verified thing?..

Not sure what you mean by "Visor", perhaps LCD or EVF. At any rate, I haven't noticed overly saturated colors in the EVF or LCD. However, if you don't like how the camera renders in the displays you can simply change the profile of the display (there is an in-menu adjustment in Settings "Monitor Display") to adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, tint. So, essentially, if you don't like the way it is presented, you can easily customize it to suit your tastes.

The LX100 arrived today. The controls are a tad cramped as expected but are quite workable and pleasant to use. If you are familiar with Panys you should be able to setup a responsive manual configuration in short order. Not perfect, but worth serious kudos. The rubber thumb and finger grips secure a firm purchase and feel very good in the hand (medium, size 8).

In manual mode there is no exposure meter visible until you move the shutter speed dial. This is unacceptable. Please correct me if there is a setting to override this.

The nail in the coffin is the diopter adjustments are not fine enough to deal with my eyeglasses prescription. I can focus fine at close distances at f 1.7 without glasses. The problem is while the delayed tunnel vision viewfinder is clear, the real world where framing and timing exists through my left eye is a fuzzy mess. I don't have a problem with glasses and Leica Ms, the M240 with an Oly viewfinder or the Nex 5n external viewfinder or the S100 II's external viewfinder. The Sonys and the Oly have a much finer diopter adjustment. As much as I wanted to like it this camera has failed unless I embrace a monocular for my left eye. Not happening.;)

The LX100 arrived today. The controls are a tad cramped as expected but are quite workable and pleasant to use. If you are familiar with Panys you should be able to setup a responsive manual configuration in short order. Not perfect, but worth serious kudos. The rubber thumb and finger grips secure a firm purchase and feel very good in the hand (medium, size 8).

In manual mode there is no exposure meter visible until you move the shutter speed dial. This is unacceptable. Please correct me if there is a setting to override this.

The nail in the coffin is the diopter adjustments are not fine enough to deal with my eyeglasses prescription. I can focus fine at close distances at f 1.7 without glasses. The problem is while the delayed tunnel vision viewfinder is clear, the real world where framing and timing exists through my left eye is a fuzzy mess. I don't have a problem with glasses and Leica Ms, the M240 with an Oly viewfinder or the Nex 5n external viewfinder or the S100 II's external viewfinder. The Sonys and the Oly have a much finer diopter adjustment. As much as I wanted to like it this camera has failed unless I embrace a monocular for my left eye. Not happening.;)

I mentioned the EVF diopter wheel in an earlier post on this thread and I agree that the adjustment is very fiddly to get it just right as I tended to over adjust then compensate and then under adjust a number of times until I managed to get it just right for my particular right eye's optical needs. The EVF is indeed small but of adequate resolution in my view.

We have bad weather here at the moment but when I get a good opportunity I will try to get some more interesting images than the box that it came in!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have decided to go for the LX100.

When the two cameras were announced I thought I would probably go for the D-Lux 109.

When the first UK prices were announced (LX100 - £799, D-Lux - £825) I thought definitely the D-Lux.

When the new lower LX100 price of £699 was announced I wavered briefly, but decided to stay with the D-Lux.

I have now changed my mind for two reasons, the grip and the video formats.

I had a D-Lux 3 and after dropping it a couple of times fitted a Franiec grip, which was excellent. So a grip is a necessity for me. The optional grip for the D-Lux 109 adds to the bulk and weight and is inconvenient for card and battery changes.

According to the published specifications there is a difference in the video formats of the two cameras.

The LX100 gives the option of MP4 or AVCHD, whereas the D-Lux 109 offers only MP4.

I have a Panasonic Viera TV with an SDHC card slot that runs AVCHD videos from my Panasonic FZ200, but will not run MP4 videos from my Canon G12 (the video runs but there is no sound). This despite the TV specification listing .mov files with H264 video and linear pcm audio encoding as playable.

If I go with the LX100 I can be sure the videos will play. With the D-Lux 109 they probably will, but I can't be certain until I try it.

I am of the belief that there are no differences in image quality between the two. There MAY be differences in the default settings of sharpness, saturation and noise reduction but as these settings are easily adjustable to one's taste I don't see that as an issue.

• Like 1

I manual mode, if you toggle through the display options using the DISP button, all the options but 2 have a small exposure meter - center, bottom. A couple of those options (though not all) do require a half-press of the shutter button to out info on the LCD.

• Like 1

Not sure what you mean by "Visor", perhaps LCD or EVF. At any rate, I haven't noticed overly saturated colors in the EVF or LCD. However, if you don't like how the camera renders in the displays you can simply change the profile of the display (there is an in-menu adjustment in Settings "Monitor Display") to adjust brightness, contrast, saturation, tint. So, essentially, if you don't like the way it is presented, you can easily customize it to suit your tastes.

EVF... Thank you you have explained it well...

Problems with battery and card SD, solved with ...:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

http://www.lovecases.co.uk/gariz-genuine-leather-panasonic-lumix-lx7-half-case-black.html

Edited by Dopaco

Panasonic laid-off ten-thousands of workers in recent years, a majority of them in Japan - to cut costs and work under similar low-standards as their Chinese competitors...

Now the worker who makes this camera has to work several months instead of weeks to afford a LX100...

I don't mind the Japan/Germany joint venture, but "made in China" is a deal breaker for me :(

Why?

If it's about politics then I can see your point.

If it's about build quality then there is no evidence to back you up. Many modern high end products are built in China (including most Apple goods) and there is some evidence that failure and return rates are lower than for goods made in Japan.

The old views about shoddy goods from China need to be set aside now.

• Like 1

It's much easier to lower standards that also affect resulting quality in China than in Japan: Low-income, nearly no fixed regulations that would result in any progress to make production more efficient or to establish advanced machinery, nearly no long-term education of production-staff...

This "trick" only works as long as you have high-advanced production elsewhere to constantly transfer know-how. The effect of transfering production to China is not immediately noticeable.

As I said before, even the machining processes implemented by Apple's suppliers are easily 20 years behind (slow, manual processes, switching machines, excessive use of coolant...), assembly work would be done by highly efficent and precise machines (that need maintenance done by experienced experts - so they cannot be shipped to "low-cost" facilities).

Swatch just introduced a new mechanical watch (movement) that's using less parts (just one single screw!) due to an innovative construction - it's cheap (for it's quality) and 100% Swiss Made (except for raw materials) with the highest labor costs in the world!

Apple does the exact opposite, primitive stupid production and assembly methods (except for some supplied components) using slave labour - it sounds like the Japanese camera industry tries to follow Apple's instead of Swatch's footsteps - IMHO the stupid, non-sustainable way and definitely not the answer to the challenges this industry faces today.

Edited by georg

Why?

If it's about politics then I can see your point.

If it's about build quality then there is no evidence to back you up. Many modern high end products are built in China (including most Apple goods) and there is some evidence that failure and return rates are lower than for goods made in Japan.

The old views about shoddy goods from China need to be set aside now.

I don't think so.

The premium paid on Leica products has always been justifiable by the fact that they are hand built in Germany versus mass produced elsewhere.

Paying a couple hundred more dollars for the red dot over the Lumix is not a problem as the better warranty justified it, but watering down the brand even more by mass producing it in China is a problem.

The issue is not where the product is made but whether it has discernible measurable quality superiority.

German car manufacturers have been successfully making cars around the globe with no adverse effect on quality.

If Chinese factories can meet the quality benchmarks why should you care if the object is made there or somewhere else around the world.

This anti-Chinese rhetoric smacks of old world prejudices and protectionism, and has nothing to do with real quality at all.

If you have proof that identical Leica models/products made in Germany and elsewhere around the globe have quantifiably different quality scores let's see the proof.

Edited by Le Chef
  • Like 1