D-Lux type 109 or Panasonic LX100. Choice now more difficult

Worth you guys noting the one main technical difference is that that the Leica saves raw in DNG whereas the Panasonic uses the Panasonic raw. Probably not much in it but I prefer to have DNG

For the difference I tend to agree with the above that the Leica wins out. Although its mostly a styling/personal taste thing. I want to have a look at the LX100 silver closeup and whether it looks plastic or metally, but overall I think the Leica looks smarter

Worth you guys noting the one main technical difference is that that the Leica saves raw in DNG whereas the Panasonic uses the Panasonic raw. Probably not much in it but I prefer to have DNG

For the difference I tend to agree with the above that the Leica wins out. Although its mostly a styling/personal taste thing. I want to have a look at the LX100 silver closeup and whether it looks plastic or metally, but overall I think the Leica looks smarter

whoops! apparently I am wrong here

The 109 might be using the Panasonic raw file format

Edited by colonel

I owned DLux 2 and 3, both bought used so they were about the cost of the Panny version brand-new. Since then I got LX5 and FZ200 as the cost was half of the Leica. M240 and Canon FF EOS DSLR are my mainstay tools, so these P&S things don't get used much and only for casual snapshooting so my main concern is less outlay of cash.

I just realized the Lumix LX100 is made in China.

Have there ever been previous Leica cameras coming from China?

Yes, the compact film camera C3 and I presume also the C2 and C1 compact film camera's. The D-Lux's up to 6 and V-Lux's up to 4 were made in Japan.

Best

Edited by rjans
Typing error

Just received an email from B&H that my LX100 has been shipped. I pre-ordered both the LX100 and DLux 109 at the same time. I will open up the LX100 and play with it for a few days. If the Leica ships soon I'll do the same with it and keep the one I like the most - send back the other one. Recognizing that they are the same camera, it will likely come down to ergonomics (i.e. the grip, user interface, etc...).

Just received an email from B&H that my LX100 has been shipped. I pre-ordered both the LX100 and DLux 109 at the same time. I will open up the LX100 and play with it for a few days. If the Leica ships soon I'll do the same with it and keep the one I like the most - send back the other one. Recognizing that they are the same camera, it will likely come down to ergonomics (i.e. the grip, user interface, etc...).

We would be most interested in your final decision with reasons etc. please. ;)

Hopefully I will receive the Leica within my 30 day return period for the Pana. I don't want to abuse that privilege, but I believe this is one of the reasons B&H offers the 30day money back guarantee.

I think it's dishonest to buy a camera you intend to return

Then they can't sell it as new and loose the profit

It's not a trial or buy service !

• Like 2

I think it's dishonest to buy a camera you intend to return

Then they can't sell it as new and loose the profit

It's not a trial or buy service !

Oh please. Really? I suppose you're entitled to your opinion, as ill informed as it is. What's dishonest about about paying good money for a product and returning it later, entirely within the policy of the store, if it isn't exactly what you want? I have discussed this with B&H. They reiterated that they are happy to have this policy to ensure customer satisfaction: "Our goal is to ensure your complete satisfaction". They know exactly what my intentions are, so by definition it is not "dishonest".

They will either return it to the manufacturer - in accordance with their contractual arrangements, or sell it - as new - "open box" at a small discount. Yes, I have happily purchased some of these "open box" items also from time to time. I can assure you - and I know you know this, Harold - they would not continue to have this policy if it caused them to lose (btw - it is "lose" not "loose") money. It reduces the customer's risk in what can be a significant purchase, thus making a purchase from them a better value for the customer... Thus a competitive advantage. In fact, this is one of THE key reasons I purchase from them.

Trial or buy service or not, it is exactly what they want. To sell me two cameras knowing I am going probably going to keep one instead of me going somewhere else to purchase one. They are big boys, they'll change their return policy when it no longer makes them money.

• Like 3