Leica customer service - Read what happened to my M9

Samir Jahjah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Third party "Tolds" and posting on any Forum will not offer anything but sympathy..

Go direct to Wetzlar............

if you think negative your communications will be negative:- outcome Negative.......

I would give the forum a little more credit.

It is a great source of information, and sharing info and stories can often result in tangibly helpful results.

Pointing out that leica has goodwill on the M9 but not on the MM is a tidbit that i'll bet most people didnt know and are glad to now know...

• Like 1

I would give the forum a little more credit.

It is a great source of information, and sharing info and stories can often result in tangibly helpful results.

Pointing out that leica has goodwill on the M9 but not on the MM is a tidbit that i'll bet most people didnt know and are glad to now know...

I agree that that in the use of equipment & general information the Forum is terrific.

In no way do I underestimate the overall knowledge base of All or for that matter any individual forum members.

Wether Leica do or do not "Step Up" on any individual or model issues is their decision.

(tidbits, hearsay & I think's) -- are just that..

Sadly, in your case, nothing posted has helped resolve your particular situation..

If it was me in your situation, my letter to Wetzlar would already be on it's way.....

I agree that that in the use of equipment & general information the Forum is terrific.

In no way do I underestimate the overall knowledge base of All or for that matter any individual forum members.

Wether Leica do or do not "Step Up" on any individual or model issues is their decision.

(tidbits, hearsay & I think's) -- are just that..

Sadly, in your case, nothing posted has helped resolve your particular situation..

If it was me in your situation, my letter to Wetzlar would already be on it's way.....

Thanks for your advice.

Can someone tell me the approximate cost of a sensor cleaning and how to arrange for service?

Depends on where you live etc.

I would also recommend investigate self cleaning. Where I live, profesional cleaning costs about $200. The apparatus for doing it yourself costs around $90 and last for untold number of cleans. if you can clean windows, you can clean a sensor!

Note: you will find opinions arising that disagree with my POV, but that is life. In the end, you make your own decisions and act o them. Good luck with your choice. It's not difficult. :D

Can someone tell me the approximate cost of a sensor cleaning and how to arrange for service?

Google for sensor cleaning services in your area. Or if you live near a Leica dealer, walk in. They may do it on the spot. Or, as Erl said! And most of us do, just clean your sensor. You will find a protocol in the FAQ at the top of this forum. I would never pay 200$ for a ten-minute job.

Edited by jaapv

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Folks

I wonder would anybody on the forum be able to offer me any wisdom on the following issue?

Approximately 3 years ago I purchased a Leica 75mm Summarit lens from a reputable dealer at a good price as it was a demo lens.

The lens was super but was seldom used as I got involved in a street photography project and so used mostly 35 and 50mm lenses (eventually leading to a exhibition at a local art festival)

Recently on close examination of the said 75mm lens I noticed that whilst the glass elements and aperture blades were absolutely pristine there was what appeared to be bright white dots on the internal barrel of the lens?

I brought this back to the dealer for investigation and everybody was puzzled so it was sent off to Leica for appraisal. Leica's verdict indicated water damage and a hefty repair bill which would effectively mean it would be better to purchase a new lens.

The lens had been stored with my other lenses and camera in a Jessop (dry sponge cut out sections type) case in a well ventilated cool area with loads of silica gels packs which are regularly changed. My other seldom used lens is an ancient 135mm Elmarit with goggles which works great on my M8.

It and all my other kit are all pristine!

I have asked Leica to recheck their diagnosis as this lens has never ever been next near or towards water or condensation of any kind - no wet camera bags nothing in fact as it has only been used about 3 or 4 times and always in dry sunny weather conditions.

Maybe some other photographer has had direct or indirect experience of something like this ?

I would be grateful for any information and will try to keep people posted on this mystery when I hear back from Leica.

Rgds

Leica Customer Service in London has been unremarkable in past years but is certainly first grade now.

My Noctilux was recently knocked off a table and into a champagne bucket during a recent shoot and was, I thought, ruined.

I immediately rushed it to Leica London who, in turn, immediately sent it to Leica Germany where it was completely dismantled it and, effectively, rebuilt.

They even corrected a 'niggle' I had with the lens (a 'loose' aperture ring).

The lens came back fast and is as good as new.

The cost?

A couple of hundred euros.

I was both astonished and delighted.

On another occasion recently I noticed that the red dome marker on one of my lenses was missing.

Leica London replaced it instantly without charge.

I have carefully checked my M9 sensor as I don't suffer from the tell-tale white spots and, so far, and it seems free of any visual signs of corrosion.

Only time will tell.

However, I am reassured by the stance that Leica is taking and I have no doubt that I will be well looked after if the fault does develop.

My view is that mistakes happen.

Such is life.

However, it is what people and companies do about those mistakes that set them apart.

And Leica is setting itself apart by showing that they stand by their products and their customers.

You can't argue with that.

Other companies could learn a lot from their example.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Well...I´ve just been in contact with Leica. My M9 got some water during heavy rain and stopped working - after it dried up it began to work again. After some time it stopped again with classic electronic failure as "cant format card/cant change ISO/slow card read..."

I wrote this to Leica Service wich replied - "we will not under no surcomstances do service on water damaged M9".... they didnt even want me to send it to them for an estimate.

I actually used to work for Leica Camera som 20 years ago, but I have never experiences worse service than this.... any ideas ???

Edited by MDA

Based solely on what you have said, I infer that Leica consider water damage to be terminal for an electronic camera. 20 years ago, they were all mechanical and can still be salvaged reasonably, depending on degree of wetting.

An alternative might be to contact your nearest Leica repair depot (not Solms) and ask if they would examine it for you with an opinion.

Leica Solms are pretty locked into perfect repair with solid warranty to follow. Maybe they feel if that cannot be offered, they will not offer anything.

Sensor and finder is fine. All other mechanics and inspected areas on, and in the camera are fine... The camera is working - I just think Leica need to Eexchange the upper printboard, wich should be neither expensive or difficult.

As for now...I have Leica paperweight... I cant sell it as is, and its giving me too much headache to use...

I will contact Leica again - and maybe try to find antoher contact person...

Edited by MDA

I will contact Leica again - and maybe try to find antoher contact person...

I think this is a good idea. Try phoning direct rather than emailing etc.

After my original M8 went to Leica for repairs a few times, only to come back with the same issue, Leica sent me a new M8, after the warranty had expired on the old one.  Glad to hear this M9 story, especially given the newly uncovered problems with sensor corrosion.

I called Leica, and they asked if I would write them...here is their reply:

Dear Mr. Dahl,

Thank you for your email and the detailed description of failure.

Be assured that we feel very, very sorry your camera has been exposed to water.

Nordisk is absolutely right and has given you the correct information.

According to the Customer Care Management decision we do not repair

M9 cameras, which have suffered a water damage,

because it is just not economical for the owner.

We ask for your understanding and really wish to apologize for any inconvenience caused by this decision.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / kind regards

David Garcia Nelles

Leica Camera AG

Customer Care

Am Leitz Park 5/ D-35578 Wetzlar / Germany www.leica-camera.com / David.Garcia-Nelles@leica-camera.com

Telephone +49(0)6441-2080-189 / Fax +49(0)6441-2080-339

I am a little disappointed.....

I understand Leica's POV and I understand your disappointment.

If you have insurance, of the appropriate level, you can buy a good second hand M9 or M240 etc. As M9's cannot be bought/repaced new, the insurance Co will, I assume, give you value to purchase nearest possible replacement.

I hope all goes well with that aspect.

As the camera was working (after water related issues) what if the new problem isn't due to water damage at all? It seems odd that Leica are consigning the camera to landfill without even looking at it.

Water damage is corrosion which is progressive. It happens quite often that an electronic device will work for a short while after getting wet and drying out. An iPhone that I dunked in sea water worked for about a day before dying. When I opened it up it was all green copper oxide inside.

One person as I recall from another forum had an M8 that got caught in the tide. He opened it up, cleaned the corroded parts and got it to work again -for a week.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I would like to tie the knot on this one...

After a short and pleasant phone call with Leica, everything worked out fine.

I believe Leica really does have that "human touch" with their customers that I rarely see with other companies of this size.

Thank you Leica for making me a happy owner Again :-)

I would like to tie the knot on this one...

After a short and pleasant phone call with Leica, everything worked out fine.

I believe Leica really does have that "human touch" with their customers that I rarely see with other companies of this size.

Thank you Leica for making me a happy owner Again :-)

Can you tell us a little more? When you say it worked out fine I'm assuming that they took the camera in....and repaired it? Even though they initially refused to do so? It's a little confusing.....