Leica customer service - Read what happened to my M9

Samir Jahjah

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had nothing but great experience with Leica USA in NJ for my M9 and lens servicing. Just discovered that its sensor / glass cover is cracked, and sent it in for replacement.

I'm confident that the excellent service will continue. It's reassuring to know that premium pricing brings premium service.

Rich

Quick follow up - Leica replaced my sensor, recovered the body and calibrated the RF under goodwill warranty (I sent it in only for the sensor). No charge (not even shipping), and it's on its way back to me after ten days (I didn't even indicate that I needed it back quickly / by a certain date).

Awesome service, Leica. Couldn't be happier.

Rich

Similar story in Singapore at the Leica Service Centre this week - my M9P needed its peeling leatherette replaced; I asked for a calibration and sensor clean as well while I was there, fully expecting to pay for everything. Within 15 mins I was advised that I would get a new sensor, calibration and replacement leatherette all done for free - made my day!

Took my MM in to my dealer due to a mark on the sensor.

Leica NJ replaced the sensor, circuit board, leatherette, recalibrated the rangefinder and did a CLA at no cost and returned it to the west coast of Canada within 3 weeks. Couldn't be more pleased. Buy a premium product, receive a premium service. So far am very impressed with Leica - besides this experience everytime I have emailed a question to them about software downloads or a technical matter I have received a courteous and comprehensive reply within 24 hours. Great company!

You guys know they can't work on the camera without replacing the leatherette, right?

I agree Leica is making many friends with some very good warranty behaviors.

Especially people like me who could not afford a brand new M9, but now can buy a great used one with fresh parts :)

I found one in January with a new sensor, etc really LN for 3500. Could not be happier with it.

15516838598_760c0fb86a.jpg

DSC02767 by unoh7, on Flickr

I think the moderator must have been asleep; he should have stepped in and prevented the posting of this message. We're here to complain, not to praise Leica.

HFL

:D Sometimes it seems that way; not saying that yours truly hasn't also been guilty at times.

I am seriously impressed by the service that the OP received - and at no cost to him. It is great to hear stories such as this.

When we buy M cameras, Leica expects a lot (in terms of money). It is good to hear that Leica also delivers a lot in terms of service - as it should be, given the level of commitment Leica users have for these wondrous little machines.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's very conforting to hear these good experiences with customer service from Leica. Because of all the problems that I hear about on sensors, being cracks or peeling off, I often find myself thinking that it's only a matter of time before it happens to mine. It seems to happen to cameras from all batches and including the newer M9P versions.

On the other hand a friend of mine had the peeling problem in July, he sent the camera to Wetzlar through the local dealer and 3 months have gone by without any news. It's very hard to be so many months without our camera......

Could it be that Leica is having trouble in getting new sensors? Is this something to worry about going forward for us who own the M9?

Thanks

My suggestion is, be a pragmatist!

It's a digital camera. It will die, sometime.

You can't change that.

The only thing worth really worrying about is,

"what can I shoot while it's working."

You will probably be greatly surprised at just how long it really lasts. ;)

• Like 1

Could it be that Leica is having trouble in getting new sensors? Is this something to worry about going forward for us who own the M9?

Yes there is an statement from the customer service in the german forum. Their supplier had changed his production so a large amount of sensor boards could not be used. This caused a delay due new production run and shortage on sensor supply.

Only temporally. They should have got new sensor now.

I find it strange that Leica doesn't have a "goodwill program" for the MM even though it is much more expensive.:mad: Anyone know why this is???

I don't think the MM has been around long enough for post warranty issues to be covered, but I expect that Leica will treat it as it has the M9 and, as I understand it, the M8 and M8.2 before it.

Rich

• Like 1

I don't think the MM has been around long enough for post warranty issues to be covered, but I expect that Leica will treat it as it has the M9 and, as I understand it, the M8 and M8.2 before it.

Rich

Accidents can happen within the warranty period that will void the warranty. I am here to tell you that there aint a goodwill program for the MM :(, even for someone with my degree of charm :D.

Leica will very conveniently describe such cases as "accidental damage" on their estimate, leaving insurance companies no wiggle room.

Jaap - that is the absolute least they can and should do. In the US these type of repairs are typically not worth a home insurance claim given the level of deductible.

It was shocking for me to learn that Leica can fix a 5 year old M9 for free out of "goodwill" but be cold-blooded about a less than 1 year old MM that has spent a quarter of its life at Leica being fixed for non-accidental issues. It's like opposite sides of the spectrum and makes no sense.

Jaap - that is the absolute least they can and should do. In the US these type of repairs are typically not worth a home insurance claim given the level of deductible.

It was shocking for me to learn that Leica can fix a 5 year old M9 for free out of "goodwill" but be cold-blooded about a less than 1 year old MM that has spent a quarter of its life at Leica being fixed for non-accidental issues. It's like opposite sides of the spectrum and makes no sense.

In this case I would contact the TOP man at Leica Corp.. (By snailmail with a signature required) A letter with All the happenings etc..

I have had to do similar letters to various manufacturers over the years.. A white/fruit laptop

replaced after 3 years due to continual repairs. A VW Passat (Lemon) but not acknowledged until my letter arrived at VW Corp Germany. A high end electric Can Opener, replaced 3 times but still not satisfactory - finally another replacement & a full refund..

Stand Up & make your voice heard.. :)

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been told by the folks in new Jersey that the German team is VERY rigid about these things and that i have zero chance of getting anywhere.

I might give it a try but will have zero expectations.

Having said this, if anyone has gotten a break from Leica Germany on an MM for a non warranty issue during the warranty period (or even outside), id love to hear about it.

Don't you have dedicated camera insurance over there?

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have been told by the folks in new Jersey that the German team is VERY rigid about these things and that i have zero chance of getting anywhere.

I might give it a try but will have zero expectations.

Having said this, if anyone has gotten a break from Leica Germany on an MM for a non warranty issue during the warranty period (or even outside), id love to hear about it.

Third party "Tolds" and posting on any Forum will not offer anything but sympathy..

Go direct to Wetzlar............

if you think negative your communications will be negative:- outcome Negative.......