LHSA 2015 Spring Shoot

AlanJW

• 5 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENT

As part of the Spring Shoot in New Orleans, April 16-19, 2015, LHSA is considering

activities open to non-members.

We are hoping to help start an informal regional group focused on Leica, photography, fellowship

and sharing of ideas and images which would be open to both members and non-members.

Therefore, we are interested in identifying any interested Leica photographers,

collectors, dealers, fans, potential members or organizations in the New Orleans region so we can keep

them updated on our plans.

Please respond here if you are interested in the New Orleans shoot

or send a PM for more information. I will put you in touch with the LHSA administrator.

Please visit the LHSA website LHSA - The International Leica Society - Home

for more general information.

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

In collaboration with Leica Akademie, LHSA is pleased to announce the first of several presenters for our spring event in New Orleans. Maggie Steber Maggie Steber's Professional Portfolio Site is ofering a three evening walking and shooting workshop which will challenge students to create their own Film Noir of New Orleans. This workshop will begin Wednesday afternoon April 15,and conclude Friday afternoon April 17. Cost for approximately 13 hours with Maggie for 10-15 students will be $500 for LHSA members, and $600 for non-members. For those of you thinking about attending our New Orleans Event, and of participating in the Maggie workshop, you should make your accommodations to include a Wednesday night stay.

LHSA members should receive the LHSA official announcement pamphlets for signing up for New Orleans by middle to late January 2015, but the Leica Akademie site may have an earlier announcement regarding the Maggie workshop.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking fwd to the Spring Shoot too. If by out of the way=out of the French quarter there is the garden district for its homes. Last time the LHSA was there was pre-Katrina, we went to a plantation and did a tour of the outlying areas. I haven't been there since Katrina and IIRC it everything was hit pretty hard except the quarter, which was miraculously spared, so Idk what changes if any it has undergone. Honestly for those many days there's so much to shoot in the quarter I don't think you really need to venture out but YMMV. Lots of interesting architecture in the quarter, along with lots of interesting characters. It changes character at night too. Should be interesting shooting it with digital this time. Last time I was still using film so ISO was more limiting.

More information and registration for the New Orleans Spring shoot April 15-19 is now available on line here from the LHSA website:

LHSA Announcements

When you get to the page, go to click here and it will take you to the registration form.

Or go directly to registration form here: https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07eaf40mib62bb8a1b&oseq=&c=&ch=

Edited by WeinschelA
  • Like 1

Alan I don't see any tours/day trips etc. listed as there usually are. Are there none being offered or will that be coming in a registration mailing?

I know there are some tours besides the course offered but the program is in the hands of others - Gary Hough in particular. I'm going to ask him to respond.

EDIT: Gary says more information will be forthcoming soon. Also that hotel is rapidly selling out discounted rooms.

Edited by WeinschelA
  • Like 1

Made the hotel reservations some time ago. The online meeting registration says it includes morning and evening photo walkabouts with Leica personnel, but in the past there were bus tours to various locations. I'll hold off on registering for the meeting itself until Gary posts the rest of the info. Thanks.

I'm registered but not for any events because as you note none have been posted. I'm looking forward to seeing you there. My schedule is such that I don't get there until late Wednesday so I am not able to sign up for the Maggie Steber course either.

The last time I spent any time there was when I was in the Army and in Hattiesburg for two weeks -- with the middle weekend in New Orleans. That was, would you believe it, more than 40 years ago.

I noticed that also, but the fee includes a 1-yr "digital membership" (access to online copies of The Viewfinder, not printed/mailed ones). So technically a non-member signing up for the Spring Shoot becomes a member. The reality is, the society needs to encourage growth of membership and this is no doubt the reason. (The workshop with Maggie Steber is $100 more for non-members).

I noticed that also, but the fee includes a 1-yr "digital membership" (access to online copies of The Viewfinder, not printed/mailed ones). So technically a non-member signing up for the Spring Shoot becomes a member. The reality is, the society needs to encourage growth of membership and this is no doubt the reason. (The workshop with Maggie Steber is $100 more for non-members).

So one would be better off being a non-member than a member when it comes to registration...

Whatever. As much as I would like to go I doubt that I'll be able to. One of these days I'll get to NO...

Yes, exactly. We are trying to encourage membership, and this is an inducement for new members. In addition, if someone who is not a member is interested in the Maggie Steber course, they can join LHSA (A full print US membership is $85), register for the course and still save $15.

LHSA is very interested in attracting new members, and any and all other ideas for doing so are welcome.

Edited by WeinschelA

So one would be better off being a non-member than a member when it comes to registration...

Whatever. As much as I would like to go I doubt that I'll be able to. One of these days I'll get to NO...

Sorry you can't get there. This will be the first spring shoot I've been able to get to.

A member already gets Viewfinder, whether digital or in print. And pays $175 to register. A nonmember also pays $175 and now gets a digital subscription when attending this event, and hopefully this will encourage signing up and continuing as a member. It is a kind of trial subscription.

Here is more information on the Spring Shoot. Hot off the Presses: In addition to more information on the programs, the attached also has information on hotels as alternatives to the Four Points by Sheraton. (I have been told that the block of rooms reserved at the Sheraton has sold out and that there may not be other rooms available there either)

2015 Spring Photo Shoot Registration Packet Final.pdf

Edited by WeinschelA