Review: Elmarit-M 28mm ASPH.

jip

When I purchased my M8 body the next thing I did was to buy this lens and I have to say that I'm very happy with my purchase.

I love the fact that it's so compact, light and super sharp. With that being said, I can deal with the only downside that it's only f2.8...:)

With a 37FOV on my M8, it's perfect IMO for general shooting.

I'm presently looking at the 50mm Summicron-M f2 to compliment my 28 for a more tighter shot.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I purchased my M8 body the next thing I did was to buy this lens and I have to say that I'm very happy with my purchase. I love the fact that it's so compact' date=' light and super sharp. With that being said, I can deal with the only downside that it's only f2.8...:) With a 37FOV on my M8, it's perfect IMO for general shooting. I'm presently looking at the 50mm Summicron-M f2 to compliment my 28 for a more tighter shot.[/quote']

Great to hear you have the same feelings about the lens, I think allot of people love the little lens on the M8. I didn't like 50mm though, as I don't like 75 on the M9/240 etc.

But the 28 is still great on the full frame! If you want a next lens for your M8, try a older 35mm summicron gives you almost a 50mm and great depth of field!! I've got plenty of shots with 35mm on the M8!

Great to hear you have the same feelings about the lens, I think allot of people love the little lens on the M8. I didn't like 50mm though, as I don't like 75 on the M9/240 etc.

But the 28 is still great on the full frame! If you want a next lens for your M8, try a older 35mm summicron gives you almost a 50mm and great depth of field!! I've got plenty of shots with 35mm on the M8!

I don't have a need for the 35mm. The 28 is the perfect lens for the M8 IMO but I'm planning ahead and will be purchasing a Leica FF in the future. I only need 3 lenses for the FF and I'm looking at the 28 which I have, the 50 Cron which I"m planning to get and eventually a 90mm way down the road.

I want a tighter FOV for my M8 right now the the 50 Cron will fit the bill and serve as a future "normal lens on the FF down the road.

It is more sharp and has less distortion than the more expensive Leica Summicron-M 1:2/28mm ASPH

I am not sure about the sharpness. I found it less sharp than 28'cron. Also there is less vignetting in the results of 28'rit.

The main difference between those lens is the character for me. 28'rit has more Leica-look.

I compared the two and I found the Elmarit latest version considerably sharper than the Summicron, but I actually found that the Summicron renders nicer than the Elmarit...

• Like 2

Agree about the rendering. I have both lenses (don't ask why:rolleyes:).

The Elmarit is practical and small and light and sharp and doesn't distort and doesn't have significant vignetting wide open and has a quite transparent rendering (not what I would call 'character').

However, the rendering of the Summicron is extraordinary and subtle with beautiful micro-contrast and full of character (hard to describe). This is something one needs to appreciate in print.

It is one of my favourite lenses.

Great in combination with the 50 Summilux ASPH.

• Like 2

I have only 2 lenses for my M and that the Summilux ASPH 50 and the little latest 28 Elmarit. I am totally happy with the latter. The rendering is superb, IMO. I used to have the Summicron and frankly could not convince myself it was "better" than the Elmarit, just a lot more expensive. The 28 is on my camera about 60 percent of the time.

I have only 2 lenses for my M and that the Summilux ASPH 50 and the little latest 28 Elmarit. I am totally happy with the latter. The rendering is superb, IMO. I used to have the Summicron and frankly could not convince myself it was "better" than the Elmarit, just a lot more expensive. The 28 is on my camera about 60 percent of the time.

There's been a lot of debate here in the forum as to the relative merits of the Summicron and Elmarit 28s beyond the one stop difference.

I actually have 28mm on four of my lenses: 28 Summicron ASPH, 28 Elmarit ASPH, 28-35-50 MATE, and 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R. They are all different. I don't deliberately choose the 28 on the MATE or Vario-Elmarit for their rendering but for when I may want the other conveniences of either of those lenses. In fact the 28 MATE renders beautifully but has significant barrel distortion (some also with the Vario-Elmarit-R) - fantastic for general photography but careful putting straight lines near the edges of the frame! The 28 Summicron and MATE render beautifully to my eye, but the Elmarit and Vario-Elmarit are very transparent in how they record the image.

I think that like many Leica lenses within the same focal length there are indeed differences which suit different needs and tastes - just look at the 50 Summilux vs 1.0 Noctilux vs 0.95 Noctilux discussions. We each use the lenses that suit the task, our tastes and that we can afford.

Again, these are my impressions and to me particularly noticeable on high quality screens and especially in the print.

As I've said before, if I could only keep two of my too many Leica lenses it would be the 28 Summicron ASPH and the 50 Summilux ASPH.

As I've said before, if I could only keep two of my too many Leica lenses it would be the 28 Summicron ASPH and the 50 Summilux ASPH.

Me, too. :)

I had the Elmarit before I ended up with the Summicron. I felt the Elmarit had too much contrast for my tastes but then again I only use Leica for film and I use a lot of E-6 film. I felt the contrast was a bit much and the Summicron seemed to work better for me with reversal film (which can be inherently contrasty; I find it easier to increase contrast and harder to decrease contrast in post.) The Elmarit also seemed a bit 'cleaner looking' to me, and I think that characteristic along with the increased contrast is what makes it appear sharper to many people (as Jip said: "the Elmarit latest version considerably sharper than the Summicron.")

Both are excellent lenses. Just get what works for you personally. btw, I use a 49mm step up ring as a lens hood (see here: http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-lenses/345324-28mm-m-summicron-asph-small-problem.html#post2774848) It works for me and it keeps the Summicron compact (it's actually a small lens without that giant hood.) But again, I don't work in high contrast lighting and don't need a lot of flare protection (the Summicron seems to be pretty flare resistant anyway.)

• Like 1

I forgot to mention the higher contrast of the Elmarit c/w the Summicon but you're quite right. That clean look you describe is what I describe as 'transparent'.

I use the Summicron with an alternate hood (35 Summilux pre-ASPH or the uber-expensive round metal scalloped hood) as the monster it's supplied with is ridiculous.

There's good reading about this lens' pros & cons here (http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m-type-240/296144-tim-ashley-m240-28-cron.html), and you're right about flare resistance (see post #28 in that thread.

Thanks for your suggestion of the 46 to 49mm B+W step up ring as a lens hood - I'll give it a try.

Although I primarily use the Pre-ASPH 35 Summilux lens hood but that is less of a compromise than using the original hood.

I've done similarly with the 4.0/90 Macro-Elmar. The effective but large hood has been replaced (at the suggestion of a Forum member) with the compact little hood for from collapsible 2.8/50 Elmar-M, also a flare-resistant lens.