flash recommendations?

peterjcb

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm not big on flash photography but all of my DSLR's have a built in flash and I do find that very useful sometimes. Are there any compact flash units that work well on the M8? I'm looking for something that is very compact and I could carry in my pocket or bag to use occasionally.... not something to keep on the camera.

I find the SF24D fits the bill quite nicely. I have 2 of them, both bought from KEH in bargain grade (a few superficial marks on the case) for $149 apiece. The SF20 is even cheaper, but it won't do GNC/TTL with the digital M's AFAIK. Not really a big issue as I use the 24 in non-TTL auto mode anyway, but the 24 has more available apertures to choose from.

Thanks for the replies. The SF24D is about $225 on KEH right now and I'd rather put that money towards another Leica lens in the future. I really don't want to spend a lot on a flash as I will not be using it much. I only want it for shots in a dimly lit area when needed.

Would something really simple like the below link from Amazon work on the M8, it looks pretty compact and I'm assuming that it takes regular AAA or AA batteries found anywhere as opposed to the 3-Volt CR123A lithium batteries required for the SF24D.

Amazon.com : Vivitar 2800 Automatic Electronic Flash : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Electronics

Thanks for the replies. The SF24D is about $225 on KEH right now and I'd rather put that money towards another Leica lens in the future. I really don't want to spend a lot on a flash as I will not be using it much. I only want it for shots in a dimly lit area when needed.

Would something really simple like the below link from Amazon work on the M8, it looks pretty compact and I'm assuming that it takes regular AAA or AA batteries found anywhere as opposed to the 3-Volt CR123A lithium batteries required for the SF24D.

Amazon.com : Vivitar 2800 Automatic Electronic Flash : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Electronics

the CR123 are pretty easy to get, if you know where to look.

camera shops will charge a fortune for them, but a lot of cops and flashlight enthusiasts have flashlights that run on them.

i still have a bunch i bought from light hound CR-123a Lithium Batteries i am not sure how they go shipping to australia now though, the rules changed a year or so ago (I'm a flashlight geek, i don't own the SF24D, yet)

Compact flash units and in-camera pop-up flash have an advantage of size, but the results will be bad due to the proximity of the flash head to the lens.

In an ideal world you want more flash to lens separation to avoid red eye and unflattering shadowing effects from in-camera flash units. The difference can be very stark when comparing results. In-cama and compact flash heads produce very amateurish results.

It all depends on what is important to you. If image quality is not important, then a compact or on-camera flash will get the job done, but so will a camera phone.

However, if you are trying to squeeze better quality out of your photography you need to really understand flash photography and the tools available to make a wise choice, such as the ability to take advantage of bounce flash, etc.

Edited by Loren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...point taken....

I am simply looking for the ability to take street quality shots in dimly lit areas and my current 28mm Elmarit f2.8 is going to make that challenging...:)

I ordered one of these from Adorama and I think it's going to work out. I especially like the size, the regular AA batteries and the ability to tilt. It also seems to have enough light output for what I want....plus it's only $62 bucks new.

Sunpak Ultra Digital Bounce for Nikon I-TTL Camera RD2000N

Here's a coule of typical shots taken with my Pentax K-5/ DA15mm Ltd. lens and the built in flash at a local Boston watering hole after we finished the 2014 marathon this past April.

Now I can the the M8 with me next April for the 2015 race..:)

13999461864_d921a19be3_z.jpgmorphing_DxO by peterjcb, on Flickr

13975977506_bcbd93bdaa_z.jpg2014_Boston_Runners_Hug_DxO by peterjcb, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not big on flash photography but all of my DSLR's have a built in flash and I do find that very useful sometimes. Are there any compact flash units that work well on the M8? I'm looking for something that is very compact and I could carry in my pocket or bag to use occasionally.... not something to keep on the camera.

My suggestion: Leica CF, works well with M8 with manual & auto modes, but non-TLL.

m8flash_zps7df32d11.jpg

Search the bay, you will find it plenty and cheap. :)

Edited by g_c

Same flash as CF was called Olympus S20 and cost a fraction (same like the EVF2 :D ). Konica had a version made up for the Hexar-RF too. I agreem they are nice flashes for the size. Only inconvenience is they allow just 2 aperture choices for a given ISO, which can be a bit limiting, and for fill-flash you have to do a little mental math.